Inverness CT -V- Morton - ScCup

tm4tj

That’s three times we’ve lost out on penalties this season. Why were guys like Carson or Walsh not stepping forward? I was happy Sutherland didn’t given his recent record.

Now we need to focus on the league and be aiming for first place or, at the very least, second.

Morton are no great shakes so we need to put things right on Saturday. 

Edited by Robert

Surprised at how content some posters seem to be about going out of the Scottish Cup to a meek Morton side. We've had two wins in all competitions since mid October and that includes matches against some really poor sides and you can add last nights poor performance to the list as well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

Surprised at how content some posters seem to be about going out of the Scottish Cup to a meek Morton side. We've had two wins in all competitions since mid October and that includes matches against some really poor sides and you can add last nights poor performance to the list as well. 

Agree. I thought we were very poor last night against probably the worst side in the league. 

Our choice of penalty takers seems very odd at times....

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Surprised at how content some posters seem to be about going out of the Scottish Cup to a meek Morton side.

The more I think about it, the worse I think it is.

For a team which is aspiring to be one of the top 12 in the country, to be out of all three cups before Christmas is terrible.  We have shown, several times now, that we cannot kill off a game that we control. 

The next time we are in a knockout situation, maybe even a penalty shoot-out, could well be in the promotion playoffs.  On the basis of our cup runs - by then, distant experiences - what confidence could we have?  

With Gardyne gone and Duku a dud, we desperately need to strengthen the attack.  The defence is fine.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

The more I think about it, the worse I think it is.

For a team which is aspiring to be one of the top 12 in the country, to be out of all three cups before Christmas is terrible.  We have shown, several times now, that we cannot kill off a game that we control. 

The next time we are in a knockout situation, maybe even a penalty shoot-out, could well be in the promotion playoffs.  On the basis of our cup runs - by then, distant experiences - what confidence could we have?  

With Gardyne gone and Duku a dud, we desperately need to strengthen the attack.  The defence is fine.

Gardyne is indeed a loss and we need to find a replacement during the January window.

However, I do think that we would also benefit from some cover in defence for the run in.

The only game in town now is the league and we need to be in the strongest position to gain promotion, hopefully automatically but at the very minimum though the play offs.

Seems reasonable in the current circumstances to focus on the league. What would be good then is to see games out from winning positions and to have resilience in games when going behind. Achieving both would go a long way to getting the points we need. Some reinforcements would be nice but let's acknowledge that through a team effort they are top of the league. 👏🏻👏🏻

3 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Agree. I thought we were very poor last night against probably the worst side in the league. 

Our choice of penalty takers seems very odd at times....

On the contrary, Devine was the only one who could score in 90 minutes...😉

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I'm surprised at how a squeaky one nil at home to a poor Kilmarnock shower seemed to make folk forget the limp run we're on.

Our form reads as it is, consistently poor.

I’m sure those comments will end up with more coverage than just the local paper.

Teams at our level aren’t prima donnas expecting luxury but there should at least be a minimum standard that clubs have to adhere to.

• Agree 3

No doubt Morton will think that this complaint is exaggerated and that it is just sour grapes because we lost.

However, it sounds to me that it is an absolute disgrace, and needs to be investigated by the authorities (SFA?).

Maybe we should take a stance and refuse to go there on Saturday if the 'away facilities are not brought up to an acceptable standard.

40 minutes ago, Fontaines ICT said:

Their ground looks like it was built in the 15th century. Small club.

One of my favourite grounds, when it’s packed it’s a great atmosphere. Apart from the Cappielow Kiosk the facilities for the club do seem pretty poor though. 

18 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

One of my favourite grounds, when it’s packed it’s a great atmosphere. Apart from the Cappielow Kiosk the facilities for the club do seem pretty poor though. 

Mine too although I hate the posts in the stand!! Always like a visit there. 

1 hour ago, Fontaines ICT said:

Their ground looks like it was built in the 15th century. Small club.

A small club that we have failed to overcome in two recent attempts.

If we are to maintain our title challenge with any credibility then that has to change on Saturday and certain players have to step up to the mark no matter what, very legitimate sounding, complainants they may have about the changing facilities.

It doesn’t feel good being out of the cup before Christmas, and we need to get a grip and starting to make and take chances when on top on games. We may be top of the league, but that is more through good luck than anything, and we will start to slip down it if we don’t get a grip soon.

With Killie playing Raith and Partick playing Arbroath, a win on Saturday is a must to start stretching things a bit at the top, as at least two of our rivals will drop points.

The club has published their report on last night’s game:

https://ictfc.com/match-report-morton-1-1-ictfc-07-12-2021

• Agree 1

• IBM unfeatured and unpinned this topic