Inverness CT -V- Kilmarnock - Preview

tm4tj

Today’s results have gone well for us, with Arbroath and Raith drawing and Partick failing to beat Queen if the South.

We are the only one of the top five to win (and score) this weekend and have finished the weekend still top of the league.

That feels good. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 6

Off topic but, if you think we have had it tough in the years since our Scottish Cup triumph, spare a thought for our cup final opponents.

Relegated to League 1 despite having considerably greater resources and a significantly larger fan bsse than us and today thumped 6-0 by Queens Park leaving them languishing in the middle of the division made up almost entirely by part time teams.

Whenever you are feeling a little down always remember that things could be worse, you could support The Bairns! Worse still, you could be Paul Sheerin.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Confused 1

Deserved win but for a long time until Welsh's superb hit I wasn't sure where we were going to get the goal from as I didn't feel we were creating many really good chances. I spent a stupid amount of time in the first half trying to figure out why no one was celebrating Shane's "goal" as I was sure it was nestled in the back of the net before I finally realised it had gone behind. Good chance for Mckay in the first half from a MacGregor flick and that was probably it really for us.

Killie were very poor. Considering his recent run of form I was very surprised at how poor Shaw was and Chris Burke might finally be out of the pocket of Robbie Deas by now.

Good effort from the YT in the West Stand. Shame that it sucks any noise away from the rest of the ground but maybe if they turn up in those numbers more often the long term future for them could be at the bottom of Section E of the North Stand and more people there might feel inclined to join in. 

• Well Said 2

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Deserved win but for a long time until Welsh's superb hit I wasn't sure where we were going to get the goal from as I didn't feel we were creating many really good chances.

I know we apparently started off the season well, then went into a slump, and are maybe now coming out of it.

But, to be honest, I haven't see that much difference in our performances throughout the season.  A lot of effort, sometime quites good running, but not many chances, and usually poor finishing.  Sometimes we get lucky and score, sometimes we don't.

Doddsie was saying something similar on TV on Friday. He said he wasn't unhappy with recent performances, but was unhappy with the recent results. I agreed with that.

• Agree 1

The bottom 5 in the league are looking out for survival already so this will make games against them just as difficult as any of the top half opponents. It’s going to make it a decent competitive few months ahead. Play offs this time are a realistic target. I don’t think it’s a given that Kilmarnock are anywhere near as automatic favourites. January sales activity might be on the cards for some teams to strengthen, it’s easier for the central belters to pick up quality loanees. The supply of Ross co  misfits have dried up for us ?

2 hours ago, GoliathGrunt said:

The bottom 5 in the league are looking out for survival already so this will make games against them just as difficult as any of the top half opponents. It’s going to make it a decent competitive few months ahead. Play offs this time are a realistic target. I don’t think it’s a given that Kilmarnock are anywhere near as automatic favourites. January sales activity might be on the cards for some teams to strengthen, it’s easier for the central belters to pick up quality loanees. The supply of Ross co  misfits have dried up for us ?

Any one of the top five, even part time Arbroath, could achieve automatic promotion although I think in the shake up it might come down to Kilmarnock, Raith and ourselves and, on our day, we have as much chance as anyone.

I won't be settling for a play off place just yet, especially if we can scrape together the resources to bring in a couple in the January window.

Billy Dodds has demonstrated that he probably has a better eye for a player than Robbo did.

Given where we are now, the target has to be automatic promotion with a play off place being the very minimum consolation prize.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Absolutely great to see ICT back at the top of the Championship.

There is no stand out team in the league : if we can just put a few wins together there is every chance we can open up a decent gap at the top, although I'd settle for us winning the race by a point!

• Like 1

• IBM unfeatured and unpinned this topic