January additions?

CaleyTennis

Well it's getting to that time of year so I thought I'd start this so we can discuss and give our own opinions on what we need in January :ictscarf:

I think most on here probably read the Facebook comments on the full time scores that the club post after a match so you would have seen my comment last night about the sort of players I'd like us sign, and I put it in a very strong tone as I have been advocating it since the end of last season.

For anyone that doesn't read these said posts or doesn't do social media, I basically stated that we should either give our youngsters more of a chance in the first team instead of continually sending them out on loan every year; the other point I made was that we need to target younger players instead of older players that don't produce the goods (I namechecked Duku due to his lack of goals and Gardyne because of his antics over the past month or so which is giving the club a bad name). 

What I didn't mention in the post was that I am not a fan of loan market but that's just my opinion, I respect anyone that disagrees with that as you are entitled to your own opinions ;). 

Anyway on to the positions we need to strengthen I'd say, preferably a striker to replace Gardyne, the I can't really think of any other positions that need strengthening.

I agree, someone with the guile and skill to create chances and chip in with goals.

With Duffy injury prone, back up for the defence is important too, although we have youngsters on loan who are due to return in January who could give cover if they are good enough.

We are well covered in midfield and, if Duku can get a goal, up front, so the wide areas and cover for the defence are the priorities in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Highly doubtful for this window, but a potential loan move for the summer, but that Zak Lovelace that was bumped up to the bench for Millwall this evening seems to have a very tasty track record in the Reserves/U20. Granted, only 15 years old as it stands, but still came on at the death of the game against Coventry.

Further searching tells me he's 16 next month, so a loan move for experience (assuming that we don't go up to the Prem for whatever reason) in the Summer Window shouldn't be too much to ask, really...

12 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Can't see anyone who's London-based, aged 16, and presumably still in education, wanting to move about 600 miles from home to the Highlands of Scotland!  Can't see anyone who cares about him - ie family or club - even considering that for an instant.

Even if he would it is a bit of guile and experience we need at this stage of the season whether on loan or a short term contract.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, jed5697 said:

Robbie Muirhead and the return of Col Donaldson ??

Donaldson going to Dunfermline pretty much rubber stamped.

Loan Deal for rest of season now confirmed.

4 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Donaldson going to Dunfermline pretty much rubber stamped.

Not much of a loss not signing him. Full backs and wingers are surely more of a priority than a cente half.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

If we are able to recruit this month it would be good if we could possibly do so as early in the month as possible, especially with our ongoing illness and injury situation.

One of the journos on Twitter said he couldn't see anything happening soon? 

Do we need to get rid of a wage to recruit? Gardyne?