Dunfermline -V- Inverness CT - Preview *** GAME OFF ***

tm4tj

Hughes the Daddy

Inverness' cup winning manager John Hughes is now the man in charge at East End Park with the unenviable task of lifting the Pars up the table. The Caley Jags should be turning up in midweek, weather and covid permitting, the game is scheduled for a 7:45pm kick-off on Wednesday night. It's an early opportunity for both clubs to get back on track after festive flops and the stakes are high at both ends of the table.

OFFICIAL PREVIEW & STREAMING INFO

Last time out

Inverness failed to play on Boxing Day but our last game was a dismal failure as Accies won 2-1 in the Highlands before Xmas. Second defeat to Accies this season who have been struggling but seem to be able to cancel us out and win, not always with eleven men.

Dunfermline went down 3-0 at home to team of the season so far Arbroath. Their previous game was abandoned at Kilmarnock just after the hour with the score tied at 1-1, the fog making it impossible to continue, a real thick pea souper. Could have done with some fog in Inverness that day.  That game was Tommy Wright's last one in charge of Killie as he was sacked after it.

Venue - Head 2 Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 22 9 8 5 28 21 +7
Away 23 9 9 5 28 25 +3
Neutral 2 0 1 1 3 4 -1
Total 47 18 18 11 59 50 +9

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Arbroath 19 10 7 2 33 14 37
2. Inverness CT 18 10 4 4 26 14 34
3. Raith Rovers 19 9 6 4 27 19 33
4. Kilmarnock 18 10 2 6 23 13 32
5. Partick Thistle 18 9 4 5 30 16 31
6. Hamilton Ac. 19 5 5 9 19 34 20
7. Ayr United 19 4 6 9 18 32 18
8. Q.O.S. 18 4 5 9 19 26 17
9. Dunfermline 18 2 8 8 18 31 14
10. Morton 18 2 7 9 16 30 13

Other fixtures on Wednesday night

Killie v Morton

Partick v Ayr Utd

Arbroath v Accies & Raith v Queens postponed. 

First game between the sides this season saw Dunfermline get their second point of the season in a goalless draw at East End Park. They went one better in November with a 2-1 win at the Caledonian Stadium as we imploded. Here's our summary from that game: Under Par: Inverness opened the scoring after probing well for over twenty minutes. M****** G****** drifted inside and the Pars defence opened up allowing him to get a shot away. It came back off the woodwork and Billy Mckay reacted first to knock the ball into the net. However, Dunfermline got their first win of the season as Inverness fired blanks thereafter, and goals from Kevin O'Hara assisted by a massive Danny Devine deflection and a great solo effort from Dom Thomas won the points for the Pars. Meh!
Despite that result, after fourteen games, the Pars were still bottom of the league on ten points with Inverness third on twenty-five.

Latest Team News

We had to pull out of our Boxing Day fixture against Partick Thistle due mainly to an outbreak of covid and the related isolation process. A Dodds alludes to in his pre-match interview we have some back although I think that might be a bit of a smoke screen  and we could still be seriously depleted. Only time will tell and see what Wednesday night brings. Sean Welsh has been injured and may still be receiving treatment, but it would be a bonus to have him back. Bit of deja vu from the November game with a diluted squad Inverness were somewhat depleted with only five on the bench and Sean Welsh, Shane Sutherland, Manny Duku and Wallace Duffy all missing. On the bright side, David Carson returned to action at right back and Reece McAlear was in midfield. The Pars had a full bench which included Nicolay Todorov Ryan Dow and Craig Wighton. John Hughes was watching over his new side with Greg Shields taking charge of his final interim game as gaffer.

Yogi made his first signing in the experienced Steven Lawless from Motherwell

Dodds looking tentatively ahead to Wednesday night

View full article

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for doing these articles. They are always spot on and entertaining.

I see the Ayrshire derby due next Sunday has been delayed until February in the hope restrictions have been lifted. Based on that, I hope we move our game against Queen of the South back a week to beyond the current restrictions.

Back to tomorrow’s game, I hope none of the players were badly hit by Covid and they are all available. Goodness knows what our line up may be, but whoever plays they get us the three points and revenge on Dunfermline.

It is being played behind closed doors as Dunfermline are not letting the permitted 500 in:

https://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=DAFC_Board_Statement_&ID=13512

Edited by Robert
  • Thank You 1

We have, so far this season, only taken one point out of a possible six from a Dunfermline team who are one of the worst in the division.

That needs to change, if Arbroath can beat them 3-0 then surely we can also muster a win.

Right now, I'd settle for a scrappy 0-1.

I thought they outplayed us in Dunfermline last time , moving the ball forward quickly ( too quick for us). We were lucky to escape with a point. Ridgers was my man of the match. As others have said, although none of these games ever appear easy to our team, we need to get maximum points to maintain our position in a very competitive league

• Agree 1

• Scotty changed the title to Dunfermline -V- Inverness CT - Preview *** GAME OFF ***
30 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

That was very late, I expect the team had already travelled. Could they really not tell this morning before we set off? Very poor.

Given that the team would already be on their way and there are no fans to inconvenience, unless the pitch is under a foot of water, surely they could have waited until the last minute to make a call on this.

3 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Given that the team would already be on their way and there are no fans to inconvenience, unless the pitch is under a foot of water, surely they could have waited until the last minute to make a call on this.

I assume there was no chance of it being playable? 

4 hours ago, The Long Man said:

That was very late, I expect the team had already travelled. Could they really not tell this morning before we set off? Very poor.

Very late? Come off it. The team were probably an hour into the journey at most.

Dunfermline tweeted it at 1457 so presumably the inspection was complete about 1445 so maybe we had not set off given the restrictions in place for teams as it would be around a three hour trip. The pitch looks bad in the picture they used.

As they are also out of the cup, 22 January is a logical date for it being rescheduled. 

Assuming matches resume in the not too distant future, we will never have a better chance of automatic promotion.

All challenging teams (except part time Arbroath!) are very inconsistent : if we can just put a few wins together, we would almost certainly be well clear at the top.

The Arbroath match, if it goes ahead, will be pivotal.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DWH said:

Assuming matches resume in the not too distant future, we will never have a better chance of automatic promotion.

All challenging teams (except part time Arbroath!) are very inconsistent : if we can just put a few wins together, we would almost certainly be well clear at the top.

The Arbroath match, if it goes ahead, will be pivotal.

It's rare that our season could be defined by a match at Gayfield but this is one such occasion.

A repeat of the scoreline in the first game of the season would be most welcome.

• Agree 1

• IBM unfeatured and unpinned this topic
On 12/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, Robert said:

As they are also out of the cup, 22 January is a logical date for it being rescheduled. 

And in a rare outbreak of common sense in Scottish football, the 22nd is indeed the rescheduled date.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I could have sworn I saw this announced yesterday but could find no trace of it. I think my brain has turned into a roast potato.

You could take over from IHE and be the new seer :smile: