tm4tj

Just waiting for someone to blame the wind at Arbroath or covid for that load of bollocks.

The mediocrity of the teams around us are keeping this race going.

Good debut by Mr Donaldson at Morton warms the heart though, shipping 4 with a bonus og too.

Nice.

• Funny 3

Chuffed with that result, on the basis if you can't win the game, don't lose it, [especially grabbing the equaliser late] and with Arbroath losing we are in a 2nd decent place, even though Kilmarnock won.

Thinking we need a couple of additions perhaps loans in January, maybe a winger and someone in the middle like Scott Allan back again [although he looks ever presentat Hibs] Is Daniel Mackay injured at Hibs or could we get him back on loan?

4 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Thinking we need a couple of additions perhaps loans in January, maybe a winger and someone in the middle like Scott Allan back again

It's very simple. 

The first thing we need is someone who can consistently put the ball in the back of the net.

The second thing we need is someone who can pass or cross the ball to the first person, instead of over-hitting it  nearly every time.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
  • Agree 1

Raith Rovers new signing from Rangers No22, was the big difference between both teams today. Raith looked organised had some intent going forward and whilst we had some decent possession, did very little with it. With Raith sub - ing their goal scorer , they sat deeper and gave our lethargic lot a chance. We did up our work rate in the last 10-15 minutes and our goal gave us a bit of a lift, but as usual too little too late, but should be happy with a point. With other teams around us strengthening, we really need to match up if we are realistic about promotion.

We were shocking for 80 minutes and didn’t deserve anything from that game. We were second to every ball and could not keep it when we had it.

Our midfield misfired badly, particularly in the first half, and it was no surprise when Carson was hooked.

The only ones getting pass marks from me are Ridgers, particularly for the save at 1-1, Mckay and McAlear.

We are having more off days than on days, and need to get a grip. Thankfully our rivals are also misfiring but we can’t expect that to continue.

We need a creative player to give Mckay the chances we know he will take, as we created very little today.

However, under the circumstances a point gained, which we now need to capitalise on. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

We were shocking for 80 minutes and didn’t deserve anything from that game. We were second to every ball and could not keep it when we had it.

Our midfield misfired badly, particularly in the first half, and it was no surprise when Carson was hooked.

The only ones getting pass marks from me are Ridgers, particularly for the save at 1-1, Mckay and McAlear.

We are having more off days than on days, and need to get a grip. Thankfully our rivals are also misfiring but we can’t expect that to continue.

We need a creative player to give Mckay the chances we know he will take, as we created very little today.

However, under the circumstances a point gained, which we now need to capitalise on. 

Hmm....Allardice and Carson normally so good, and MacGregor too [is he coming back from injury?] Hopefully just a bit of mid-winter lethargy, but an injection of an influential face might help.

Good to hear Radio Scotland pundits writing off everyone else now Kilmarnock have won a game…..they’ll be fine when the old firm are back 
that was a very defensive minded midfield we started with including a left back.  We had three excellent midfielders who have either been injured, had covid or been in isolation. I’d love to see Roddy upfront with Mcckay to see what might happen. With Allardice and welsh holding things…but then Reece made a big impact on coming on. Good thing was that Billy changed things quickly. He picked the wrong team today but realised quickly. 

That equaliser was totally out of the blue but we will take it. We were poor today but for once we had a plan B. 

Main issue continues to be the fact we have a top class striker who works his ass off but gets no service. Hoof ball won't work! Another worry is the fact that some become anonymous when things not going. I'm not convinced by Shane Sutherland at all at moment but he seems bomb proof? 

Oh well might be a vital point in end and actually in end we might have snatched a win. 

• Agree 4

It's fair to say that with one thing and another we have been bumping along. However there is effort if not enough application. So sitting second with arguably more to come. Enjoyed the late equaliser and a wonderful hit.  A draw probably fair but couldn't complain if Raith had won it. A good point.  

Duku actually looked decent when he came on. We wrote him off as a dud striker earlier in the season, and whilst he’s never gonna score goals for us, he at least brings something to the attack that we aren’t getting from anyone else.

• Agree 1

A decent strike and a couple of saves from Ridgers and that was it from us. To many hopeful punts with Billy McKay looking more and more frustrated as the weeks go by.

Other than Allardice ,nobody willing to carry the ball and can only assume Roddie is not match fit that he's not figuring. 

Need to start winning matches ,draws are going to cost us dearly 

I agree with most posts,main players poor today. Their number 22 was very good and we  could not handle him.Just as well he had to go off.Don't know if it is just me,but why we persist with Sutherland I don't know.He is a big fellow but cannot jump and he is easily knocked over.Thought he was a passenger today

• Agree 2

Agreed not one of Sutherland's better games, but in his defence, he and McKay were living off scraps today. He is effective when linking the play,but today as in recent weeks everything was to predictable and nearly always overhit ,easily dealt with by Berra and co. 

What does Dodds and Wilson do with them all week, because other than the goal which came out of nowhere, we created next to nothing.

2 hours ago, CaleyCiuin said:

Raith Rovers new signing from Rangers No22, was the big difference between both teams today. 

Raith's 22 was Ethan Ross ex of Aberdeen. Do you mean number 20 Williamson?

That was an atrocious performance. I didn't even see the equaliser as I decided thawing out was more important than watching another five minutes of that dross. Turns out I missed the most exciting part of the game!

Far too many players off form at the minute. Maybe Deas, McAlear, Allardice and Mckay get pass marks. The rest of the guys were well below where we need to be at if we are to sustain a title challenge or at least maintain our spot in the playoffs. Harper and Walsh created precious little of note although their roles did change when we move to 3 at the back at the start o the second half and both defended well but we desperately needed them to create more of note for the likes of Mckay who was living of little to no service. I cannot agree with some earlier comments that Duku and Sutherland did well. I thought they were both really poor and I am surprised that Jamieson continues to be overlooked for both of them. 

The move to 3-4-3 did seem to lead to a slightly more improved performance in the second half but I felt that Walsh and Harper became too preoccupied with having to defend and weren't able to create anything of note down the flanks. For the most part we seemed content launching long balls towards Mckay, Duku and Sutherland. The latter two almost never won a header and Mckay was absolutely dominated by the excellent Berra, Musonda and Benedictus. A big difference between the sides was the Raith back three were able to find their midfield and forwards with well struck passes along the ground whereas we seemed panicked by the fact we were losing and thumped aimless balls forward with little reward.

With Gardyne and McDonald moved on in the last couple of days we desperately need reinforcements in the wide areas and after unimpressive showings again from Sutherland and Duku I wouldn't be against additional competition for the strikers and perhaps looking at moving one of them on. Duku just doesn't seem to offer anything in this side for me.

That we appeared to have scored with our first shot on target a few minutes from the end is incredibly concerning.

Edited by RiG
  • Well Said 2

33 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Agreed not one of Sutherland's better games, but in his defence, he and McKay were living off scraps today. He is effective when linking the play,but today as in recent weeks everything was to predictable and nearly always overhit ,easily dealt with by Berra and co. 

What does Dodds and Wilson do with them all week, because other than the goal which came out of nowhere, we created next to nothing.

The main question for Dodds and Wilson is why did the players not demonstrate the sense of urgency they showed in the last ten minutes for the first eighty?

We need to be at it for the whole match and that is an ethos that needs to come down from management.

• Agree 2

Some interesting comments which I largely agree with.

I’ve been a fan of Sutherland, but he’s not a target man, which our recent long ball game is requiring him to be. He’s been most effective playing off the main striker, although he can fill one of the wide roles also, and I like his work rate.

I’ve also said I’d like to see MacGregor in the No 10 role but with either of them, we need to get away from always playing long balls. We are not equipped for that, even when Duku is playing.

We are at our best when we move the ball quickly, but we seldom do that.

For next week, unless we have brought anyone in, I’d like to see MacGregor start supporting Mckay.

McAlear deserves a start  and we could do with Welsh’s ability to keep the ball so he should start if fully fit.

The wide positions are a concern. Harper is learning the role and has promise, but Walsh was a disappointment today. It may be worth playing Carson in the wide right role.

A big week for the management team and squad as our four rivals are playing each other, so we need to sort ourselves out and get three points against Queen of the South. 

Edited by Robert

1 minute ago, Robert said:

Some interesting comments which I largely agree with.

I’ve been a fan of Sutherland, but he’s not a target man, which our recent long ball game is requiring him to be. He’s been most effective playing off the main striker, although he can fill one of the wide roles also, and I like his work rate.

I’ve also said I’d like to see MacGregor in the No 10 role but with either of them, we need to get away from always playing long balls. We are not equipped for that, even when Duku is playing.

We are at our best when we move the ball quickly, but we seldom do that.

For next week, unless we have brought anyone in, I’d like to see MacGregor start supporting Mckay.

McAlear deserves a start  and we could do with Welsh’s ability to keep the ball so he should start if fully fit.

The wide positions are a concern. Harper is learning the role and has promise, but Walsh was a disappointment today. It may be worth playing Carson in the wide right role.

A big work for the management team and squad as our four rivals are playing each other, so we need to sort ourselves out and get three points against Queen of the South. 

Agreed. Next week is a huge opportunity with a home match against Queens when we know for certain that at least half our promotion rivals, possibly even all four, will drop points.

We have not always been great against the bottom five in the first half of the season. That now has to change.

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

Where would Allardice fit in here?

An absolutely dire performance apart from McAlear's worldy. I'm rapidly losing faith in Dodds' ability to pick a winning team or motivate the squad. New blood desparately needed before we throw away the best chance in years of escaping the Championship. Rapidly turning into a massively frustrating season. 

Frustration aside you really have to laugh at Sportsound awarding the Championship to media darlings Killie and Del boy after one win against a bang average Queens side. They could be propping up the league and the pundits would still be tipping them for the title. 

• tm4tj unpinned this topic