Inverness CT -V- Queen of the South - Preview

tm4tj

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

Poor result but in my opinion you can't fault any player for a lack of effort and commitment. For those who are blaming the management what would you do differently?

Reading the previous posts what do people think is the issues with the team? There's a lot of talk but no one seems to say what they they would do to rectify these problems. It seems most people just like to jump on the bandwagon and criticise the team but can't back it up with any justifiable response.

We are second in the league with a game in hand on the top team. If that team was Killmarnock we would all be delighted. Just because it's Arbroath suddenly it's a disaster. Yes we could create and look more dangerous than we are but we have more than 2 weeks left of this transfer window to address this. 

The negativity by some of our fans by is unreal. We still have a great chance of winning this league, probably the best chance since we were relegated. I agree we're not playing well but we are in a great position in the league.

Sometimes us as fans need to remember who we are as a club and where we came from. We've no devine right to be anywhere near where we are, if we can all get behind the management and the team until the end of the season fingers crossed we will be celebrating promotion. 

You're so close to figuring out why some of the fans aren't 100% happy...

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

I was really impressed with Queens number 10 yesterday, Lee Connelly I think it was. Looked exactly the type of player we need, pacey and direct with an eye for a goal. 

I thought he was on loan from Sunderland but apparently they released him summer last year. He's a signed QOS player then. Only 22 and would be brilliant in a better team imho 

I thought we were significantly better against QOS than we were against Raith last week.  There was much more energy and we created a lot of decent chances.  Had we been a bit more clinical up front we could have won that very comfortably.   We were undone yesterday by poor defending.  Their 1st goal was a very good goal but should have been defended better.  Paton received the ball in acres of space and both Welsh and Carson went to close him down.  Paton released the ball for a 1-2 and moved off into space.  Nobody tracked him so he was again in plenty of space to pick a great ball through to Connelly who may or may not have been offside.  Players should play to the whistle rather than look to the linesman with an arm raised, which was the reaction of both Broadfoot and Deas.  Broadfoot did do his best to cover once he realised the flag was not raised, but he'd left it too late.   Deas simply didn't bother trying.  The 2nd was really poor marking at a free kick.  Deas failed to track Debayo who was given the time and space to allow the ball to drop and to play a teasing cushioned volley into the danger area with absolutely no pressure being applied.

QOS will feel very fortunate to have got anything from that game. Without those defensive errors and with a bit more composure up top, we could have been celebrating another thumping victory.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I thought we were significantly better against QOS than we were against Raith last week.  There was much more energy and we created a lot of decent chances.  Had we been a bit more clinical up front we could have won that very comfortably.   We were undone yesterday by poor defending.  Their 1st goal was a very good goal but should have been defended better.  Paton received the ball in acres of space and both Welsh and Carson went to close him down.  Paton released the ball for a 1-2 and moved off into space.  Nobody tracked him so he was again in plenty of space to pick a great ball through to Connelly who may or may not have been offside.  Players should play to the whistle rather than look to the linesman with an arm raised, which was the reaction of both Broadfoot and Deas.  Broadfoot did do his best to cover once he realised the flag was not raised, but he'd left it too late.   Deas simply didn't bother trying.  The 2nd was really poor marking at a free kick.  Deas failed to track Debayo who was given the time and space to allow the ball to drop and to play a teasing cushioned volley into the danger area with absolutely no pressure being applied.

QOS will feel very fortunate to have got anything from that game. Without those defensive errors and with a bit more composure up top, we could have been celebrating another thumping victory.  

There is much truth un what you say but the bottom line is that we were not celebrating a thumping victory, although the Morton game aside I'm not sure where you get the word 'another' from.

We were in fact bemoaning another frustrating and possibly damaging draw against a side we should be beating, particularly at home.

FWIW, I wouldn't have taken Duku on and instead I would have tried Jamieson as he seems to play well with Mckay and has looked better than Duku in the games he has played. I also wouldn't have taken off MacGregor so unless this was a change that had to be made through injury or fitness I would have gone with:

Ridgers
Devine Broadfoot Deas
Carson Welsh McAlear Walsh
MacGregor
Mckay Jamieson

I might not have started with this formation, probably going with the same 4411 that Dodds did go with, but as the game went on and we needed to get more goals I would have tried the above approach given that we ended the game against Raith with 3 CBs.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Ridgers
Devine Broadfoot Deas
Carson Welsh McAlear Walsh
MacGregor
Mckay Jamieson

Pretty close to what I suggested above. I don’t disagree with you at all, as Jamieson has not really been given a chance.

However, our good run was when we had Duku starting so maybe his presence creates opportunities for others.

Equally we had Gardyne then too, but his actions have deprived us of his input.

At least we are starting to debate solutions rather than simply complaining about our recent displays.

Like DD, I thought we were better on Saturday than we were against Raith. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Pretty close to what I suggested above. I don’t disagree with you at all, as Jamieson has not really been given a chance.

However, our good run was when we had Duku starting so maybe his presence creates opportunities for others.

Equally we had Gardyne then too, but his actions have deprived us of his input.

At least we are starting to debate solutions rather than simply complaining about our recent displays.

Like DD, I thought we were better on Saturday than we were against Raith. 

We were absolutely better against Queens than we were than for all but the last 10 minutes against Raith.

Sadly, still not good enough.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic