Shane Sutherland

Howdenender

Apparently been cited for breaches of betting regs  Alleged Party in Breach: Shane Sutherland, Player, Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC

Dates: On various occasions between 1 July 2011 and 30 June 2019

Disciplinary Rules allegedly breached:

Disciplinary Rule 22 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2011/12

Disciplinary Rule 22 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2012/13

Disciplinary Rule 33 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2013/14

Disciplinary Rule 31 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2014/15

Disciplinary Rule 31 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2015/16

Disciplinary Rule 31 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2016/17

Disciplinary Rule 31 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2017/18

Disciplinary Rule 31 of the Disciplinary Rules for Season 2018/19

Hearing date: Friday 11 February 2022

That is all we need!

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

If proved then he is an idiot.

The rules are well known and, as far as I understand it, all SPFL players are reminded of them at least annually.

On reflection, I apologise for my initial knee jerk response.

For all I know, Shane could be one of the many thousands who have a gambling addiction.

According, I withdraw what I said previously and, if that is the case, I hope that  this very public exposure is a route to whatever therapy or counselling may be required.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Like 2

If the allegations are proved, hopefully the fact that they pre-date his time with us results in a financial penalty rather than a ban.

I know the impact an addiction can have on someone, even when they are trying to overcome and cease the behaviour. Support is critical in such a situation and I hope the club stand by him and arrange the necessary counselling.

This has maybe been brewing for a few weeks as his form has dipped recently.

It has been reported on Reporting Scotland. 14 have been charged, including Dougie Imrie and 6 current Elgin City players.

Sounds like it must have been rife at Elgin. 

Edited by Robert

2 hours ago, Robert said:

It has been reported on Reporting Scotland. 14 have been charged, including Dougie Imrie and 6 current Elgin City players.

Sounds like it must have been rife at Elgin. 

Looks like there might have been almost as many bets placed ar Borough Briggs as there were parties in Downing Street.

• Funny 1

I’m trying to recall the penalties dished out by the SFA. Ian Black got a 3 match ban (+7 suspended) for betting regularly over 7 seasons.

Where it potentially gets more serious is if a player is betting against his own team, which surely merits a very lengthy ban, so I hope that wasn’t what was happening at Elgin.

34 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I’m trying to recall the penalties dished out by the SFA. Ian Black got a 3 match ban (+7 suspended) for betting regularly over 7 seasons.

Where it potentially gets more serious is if a player is betting against his own team, which surely merits a very lengthy ban, so I hope that wasn’t what was happening at Elgin.

Although, as an Elgin player, there is almost always scope for making money by betting against your own team !

More seriously, if it is established that that is what was going on we might not be seeing much more of Shane this season.

39 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Ngl thats what I don't understand about the betting rule. If it involves your team, then the rules make sense, but why should a League Two player get the book thrown at him for betting on, say, Celtic vs Dundee United?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Shane’s hearing has not taken place yet, but Morton manager Dougie Imrie has today been banned for 6 matches and Arbroath’s Swankie got 4 (both before counting the suspended punishments).

Imrie’s punishment was for breaches over the same 8 seasons as Shane, which perhaps gives us an indication of the likely ban if he is guilty, although I expect it would also depend on the size of the bets and whether his own team was involved in the matches.

• Thank You 1

I believe betting is rife nowadays, unfortunately.  Currently there are really big adverts on tv showing well known  ex football players betting, so, what’s the problem as long as they are not placing bets on their own teams?    I think fuller details are necessary before we castigate those who are lured into placing bets, likely due to peer pressure in some cases. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Picking this thread up but focussing on his football after his recent performances and him winning the Players’ Player of the Season Award last night.

He seems to have gone from strength to strength in the wide right role.

His effort can never be faulted and he seldom gives possession away.

Looking at the BBC stats, which exclude Challenge Cup games, he is our highest scorer (11) and has had the most assists (6).

I know Mckay’s 5 Challenge Cup goals mean he is our overall top scorer, but Sutherland has played a part in 17 goals this season.

He got some criticism during our bad run, but has come through that strongly and, in my opinion, his contribution is under rated by many fans.

I’m not sure when his contract expires (was the extension he signed just for this season?). If he is out of contract this summer, I hope we are speaking to him about an extension.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

Picking this thread up but focussing on his football after his recent performances and him winning the Players’ Player of the Season Award last night.

He seems to have gone from strength to strength in the wide right role.

His effort can never be faulted and he seldom gives possession away.

Looking at the BBC stats, which exclude Challenge Cup games, he is our highest scorer (11) and has had the most assists (6).

I know Mckay’s 5 Challenge Cup goals mean he is our overall top scorer, but Sutherland has played a part in 17 goals this season.

He got some criticism during our bad run, but has come through that strongly and, in my opinion, his contribution is under rated by many fans.

I’m not sure when his contract expires (was the extension he signed just for this season?). If he is out of contract this summer, I hope we are speaking to him about an extension.

You can bet we are.

• Funny 1
  • Thoughtful 1
  • Facepalm 1

• 3 weeks later...