Raith Rovers

Kingsmills

I see that our promotion rivals have signed a player who has been judicially determined to be a rapist to bolster their chances.

The player in question is a good and experienced forward who may indeed score or provide enough goals to see them get up but at what moral cost ? I am truly glad that we did not go down that route.

However, it does appear that there are some decent people attached to the Kirkcaldy club with two directors , including Val Mcdermid, the fan liaison officer and the captain of their women's team, who had been with the club for over a decade, all resigning.

Whoever is promoted, I sincerely hope it is not Raith Rovers, Shame on them.

• Agree 3

As with the other posters, I'm relieved and delighted it's not us. Apparently Raith leaked it about a month ago to see the reaction it got...the feedback and publicity they have received today is horrendous. It's a 2 and a half year deal so wouldn't be cheap to get out off, seems a very expensive mistake.

• Agree 1

It was the headline story on Reporting Scotland tonight but the club is digging in and defending their action.

I am sure they underestimated the backlash they would get.

I’m really glad our club has not done something like this and takes a principled stance when required (eg Gardyne or Calder).

To add insult to injury, Raith look like going above us in the league tonight judging by the latest score in their game.

Edit: I posted that when Raith were 2 up early on. With it finishing 3-3 we hang on to third. 

Edited by Robert

48 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

RAITH ROVERS: WE GOT IT WRONG

I firstly want to apologise wholeheartedly to our fans, sponsors, players and the wider Raith Rovers community for the anguish and anger caused over the past few days.

We got it wrong.

And the winner of understatement of the year: Raith Rovers...

Hypocrites, the only thing they got wrong was underestimating the reaction from the decent people associated with their club and the wider football community.

They knew exactly who they were signing and were prepared to take wnat they anticipated would be a day or two of minor flak.

Well done to the women and the men who stood up to them, often  at personal loss to make them see that there is, thankfully no place for an unapologetic and unrepentant rapist in our beautiful game.

To the decent women and men of Kirkcaldy and beyond, take a bow.

To the board and manager of Raith Rovers Football Club, hang your heads in shame but please learn the lesson for the future.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

Judging by Val McDermid’s comments, it will take much longer to heal the wounds than their action took to cause the issue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60244442 

It will be costly for them to get him out of his contract. I’d imagine they will have to pay it in full as he is unlikely to get another club in Scotland after what’s happened this week. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

Judging by Val McDermid’s comments, it will take much longer to heal the wounds than their action took to cause the issue:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60244442 

It will be costly for them to get him out of his contract. I’d imagine they will have to pay it in full as he is unlikely to get another club in Scotland after what’s happened this week. 

Not to mention the £50,000 transfer fee paid to Clyde.

With that, paying up his contract and the on going loss of sponsorship and other goodwill it is likely to prove a very expensive error of judgement indeed.

• Well Said 1

One disappointing aspect of this is that while high profile fans and sponsors took a principled stance and many long standing fans and unpaid volunteers at the club did likewise  often with heavy hearts and tears in their eyes, not a single one of the experienced male players in the first team squad uttered a single word of concern.

Just as bad was the silence of the vast majority of ex players and journalists who make a living from reporting and commentating on the game.

It was left to the ordinary people to force the club to do the decent thing.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

One disappointing aspect of this is that while high profile fans and sponsors took a principled stance and many long standing fans and unpaid volunteers at the club did likewise  often with heavy hearts and tears in their eyes, not a single one of the experienced male players in the first team squad uttered a single word of concern.

Just as bad was the silence of the vast majority of ex players and journalists who make a living from reporting and commentating on the game.

It was left to the ordinary people to force the club to do the decent thing.

In fairness that's probably for the best given some of the comments from the likes of Tade, Benedictus, Paton and Spiers that have trickled out in the last few hours.  

Edited by RiG
  • Well Said 2

• 3 weeks later...

ImageYou couldn't make this up. Or could you...

Goodwillie loaned out from Raith Rovers and back at Clyde.

On the bench tonight against Rangers B

Strewth!

Oh, and three brothers called Trialist playing for them as well.

52 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

ImageYou couldn't make this up. Or could you...

Goodwillie loaned out from Raith Rovers and back at Clyde.

On the bench tonight against Rangers B

Strewth!

Oh, and three brothers called Trialist playing for them as well.

Shame on Clyde signing him in the first place.

Bigger shame on them taking him back. Does nobody at Broadwood have a sense of morality?

On 3/1/2022 at 9:22 PM, Kingsmills said:

Shame on Clyde signing him in the first place.

Bigger shame on them taking him back. Does nobody at Broadwood have a sense of morality?

It seems that they do. The Clyde Women's team have resigned en masse.

Time for others associated with the club to show support for those brave and principled women.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It seems that they do. The Clyde Women's team have resigned en masse.

Time for others associated with the club to show support for those brave and principled women.

Don't mess with the women :smile:  they are right and they have the support from the council who lease the stadium to Clyde FC.

David Goodwillie: Female Clyde players quit as council ban striker & opt not to renew lease - BBC Sport