Inverness CT -V- Morton - Preview

tm4tj

Time to stop the rot

The last team we beat are coming North but with a renewed vigour and a new manager in Dougie Imrie. Cast your mind back to December 11th 2021 and we absolutely routed Morton 6-1. Unfortunately it's been all downhill in the six games since then. Morton are here on Saturday for a 3:00pm kick-off, but beware, this is not the same deflated Morton we stuffed in December. Our demise has been alarming to say the least. In the six games since we beat Morton we have picked up only four points from a possible eighteen. That's relegation form in any language and the rot needs to stop now before we slip out of the play-off zone and into mid table obscurity.

OFFICIAL PREVIEW-MATCH INFO-TICKETS-STREAMING

Venue - Head2Head Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 18 12 4 2 46 16 +30
Away 16 9 3 4 34 19 +15
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 34 21 7 6 80 35 +45
Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Morton
win.png
6 - 1
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(H)
win.png
4 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
win.png
3 - 2
(H)
loss.png
1 - 2
(A)
win.png
3 - 1
(H)

Inverness have taken six points from the two league games this season. The first encounter saw Inverness edge out Morton 2 - 0 in a low key game where Billy Mckay and Mich*** Gard*** scored the goals. The last meeting was our best ever away result at Cappielow.

CTO summary from 6-1 win at Cappielow: Managerless bottom club Morton were gubbed. There's no other word for it. Caley Jags were rampant after a couple of drab draws in the Scottish Cup. I'll credit Aaron Doran with the opener as his cross to the back post ended up in the net as Hamilton tried to claw it clear. Sutherland got the second after a Billy Mckay shot was blocked at close range. Mckay got his own when he rolled the ball in off the post. Boss! Just on the interval Ugwu scored from the spot to offer Morton a lifeline. Reece McAlear scored a fekkin screamer, what can only be described as a piledriver. What a strike that was! The ever alert Sutherland added a fifth and it was no surprise when Jamieson dribbled his way into the box and slotted home the sixth. This has been coming for weeks, but today was maybe the day the Caley Jags believed in themselves. Boom!  That result left us top of the table on 34 points and Morton were bottom on 13 points. Doh! Seems like a distant memory now...

The Head2Heads are stacked heavily in our favour, only two defeats at home from eighteen encounters in all competitions. However, those two defeats have come in the last two years, add to that Morton ended our interest in the Scottish Cup this season after a replay and penalties, then this is another potential struggle waiting to happen.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Arbroath 22 11 8 3 35 16 41
2. Kilmarnock 22 12 4 6 28 15 40
3. Inverness CT 23 10 8 5 30 19 38
4. Raith Rovers 24 9 10 5 34 27 37
5. Partick Thistle 21 10 6 5 34 19 36
6. Hamilton Ac. 23 6 7 10 25 38 25
7. Dunfermline 23 4 10 9 22 37 22
8. Ayr United 23 5 7 11 20 36 22
9. Morton 22 4 9 9 26 33 21
10. Q.O.S. 23 4 7 12 24 38 19

Friday 4th Feb

Arbroath v Kilmarnock

SATURDAY 5TH FEB

Ayr United v Dunfermline

Caley Jags v Morton        

Partick v Queens

Rovers v Hamilton

Morton have a new gaffer in former Inverness player Dougie Imrie (38), brought in when Gus McPherson was sacked after they drew with Ayr United, ten days after we thumped them 6-1 at Cappielow. This is his first managerial role, having coached at Livingston earlier this year. As a wide midfielder, Imrie played for Morton in season 2013-14 scoring 11 times in 33 appearances.

When Dougie went to Morton as the new manager they were a point adrift at the bottom of the Scottish Championship and heading for relegation.

Here's Dougie's stats whilst at Inverness.

Position: Left winger/attacking midfielder
Signed: January 5th, 2008
First Manager: Craig Brewster
Left Club: January 5th, 2010
Career Stats: 73 appearances, 10 goals
Debut (as sub): February 9th, 2008 - St. Mirren 1 - 1 Inverness CT (League - )
Full Debut: February 16th, 2008 - 1 - 1 Dundee Utd (League - )
First Goal: April 19th, 2008 - Inverness CT 3 - 0 Kilmarnock (League - )
Also Played For: Clyde, Hamilton Academical, Morton, St. Mirren

Latest Team News

Inverness will be without long term casualties Scott Allardice and Danny Devine. Aaron Doran, Roddy MacGregor and Billy Mackay all missed the game at Rugby Park as well. Devine is back in training from next week. Doran is not ready to return but Billy Mckay will be back in the squad.

Morton have added midfielder Iain Wilson from Dunfermline to their squad along with Jamie Brandon on loan from Hearts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scottish Youth Cup Draw 🏆

The ICT Under 18s have been drawn away to Hearts U18s in the Semi Final of the Scottish Youth Cup.

Semi-Final ties are scheduled to be played on Friday 4 March 2022

May be an image of text that says "MORTON FEBRUARY FIXTURES THISTLE, 1 UNITED FOOTBALL CUD CLUB 1876 ICTFC V MORTON FEBRUARY CINCH CHAMPIONSHIP CAL CALEDONIAN STADIUM ACADEMICAL FONEN 8I THE HONEST MEN 1910 ICTFC V PARTICK THISTLE WED FEBRUARY CINCH CHAMPIONSHIF CALEDONIAN STADIUM 1874 ICTFC v AYR UNITED HAMILTON ACCIES V ICTFC SAT FEBRUARY 26 FEBRUARY CINCH CHAMPIONSHIP CINCH HAMPIONSHI CALEDONIAN STADIUM FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH STADIUM"

View full article

• Agree 1

I see tomorrow as our biggest game of the season so far. If we win it, our promotion push can be back on track and it will give the squad confidence.

Anything else and we will continue to slip away from the top and risk being out of the play off places altogether depending on results elsewhere.

We then have another key game on Wednesday against Partick.

We need to be targeting nothing less than 6 points from those.

Can we do it? Yes, if our attitude and belief are right and we match that with positive play.

Hopefully Mckay is fit enough to feature for at least part of the game. Encouraging news about the progress of Devine and Doran. Anyone heard how MacGregor is doing?

Edited by Robert

A big few days coming up.

This Morton team, under new management, will be a very different proposition to the one we put six goals past in our last league encounter.

We will need to be fully focused but six points from these two games could go a very long way to securing a play off spot and even getting us back in the frame for the automatic spot.

Ten man Arbroath, looked a harsh red card to me, hang on to deservedly take all three points.

A bonus to see big spending Kilmarnock slip up but nobody can now write off the part timers as genuine title contenders.

Essential that we win tomorrow to stay close to their tails.

The Arbroath team shows what you can achieve if you work your socks off, from the first whistle, and not what we do for the last ten minutes, when we usually throw the kitchen sink at teams, when we are chasing the game. Let's fire right out of the blocks tomorrow, close them down, hunt in packs, and try to get control of the game from the start.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

If, and it’s a big if given our form this year so far, we can win our two home games we will be joint top on Wednesday night. That must be an incentive for the squad and an opportunity for our recruits to make a name for themselves.

However, we could be fifth if we lose them depending on other results.

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

If, and it’s a big if given our form this year so far, we can win our two home games we will be joint top on Wednesday night. That must be an incentive for the squad and an opportunity for our recruits to make a name for themselves.

However, we could be fifth if we lose them depending on other results.

I really enjoyed the first paragraph of that post 😁

• Funny 1
  • Thoughtful 2

32 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The Arbroath team shows what you can achieve if you work your socks off, from the first whistle, and not what we do for the last ten minutes, when we usually throw the kitchen sink at teams, when we are chasing the game. Let's fire right out of the blocks tomorrow, close them down, hunt in packs, and try to get control of the game from the start.

Spot on Jaggernaut no slacking from anyone.  I am looking forward to seeing our new guys and hope they have a bit of spark about them.

• Like 1

Was planning to be at my first home game since the pandemic started, as my daughter’s team had a match in Inverness. But it’s been called off this evening after the weather deteriorated so we aren’t travelling up, but I’ll be buying the stream as usual and watching from the warmth of my living room.

11 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Was planning to be at my first home game since the pandemic started, as my daughter’s team had a match in Inverness. But it’s been called off this evening after the weather deteriorated so we aren’t travelling up, but I’ll be buying the stream as usual and watching from the warmth of my living room.

The snow is lying here just now but due to turn to heavy rain all morning with a strong wind.

5 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Good old ICT social media ignoring important questions. Been absolutely tipping it down for the past however many hours and likely the same overnight.

At least some word of "yeah, there'll be a pitch inspection" would be nice...

I agree, ever since they said there would be better communication with the supporters, it seems like it's getting worse.

Maybe there’s been no need for a pitch inspection so it is a non story?

Just the livestream for me today as not fit to attend the game (not covid thankfully).

It will be the first time I’ve watched our improved offering: hopefully the season ticket log in is simple and the quality of the stream (and our play!) is good.

Three points please!

Edited by Robert

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Maybe there’s been no need for a pitch inspection so it is a non story?

I think your right. I am going to get ready to head down. The pitch will be heavy after all the rain so there will be no slick football today. I will settle for a win!

• tm4tj unpinned this topic