Scot Gardiner and backroom staff - Is a big clear out required? Issue is obviously way bigger than just Dodds...

Roly

The issue to me is more than simply do we keep Dodds or not. I don't blame Dodd's for everything here. It's much more major than that.

What about Scott Gardiner, what about all the backroom staff? Massive clear out then major restructure required? 

While I accept that Dodds maybe sacked in coming weeks if results don't improve, there is far more changes that need to be made than simply the manager. If just manager changed, the 'rot' will only continue and I pity any new manager starting at ICT.

What is everyone else's thought?

What I have never understood, and maybe someone can tell me, is that for all the clubs that are taken over or have money put into them throughout Scotland, why not ICT? What is putting off any wealthy investors investing into a club that is the capital of the Highlands, has a great history for such a young club, who, only a couple of years ago won the Scottish Cup and played on the European stage?

Why did we not kick on and strengthen after our Scottish Cup success? Instead, we have gone backwards, and at quite an alarming rate, in performances, in players and ultimately any improvement in the whole club. I'm sure, or hope that those in the higher echelons of the club must have asked themselves this question, but we the supporters will be the last to know.

If, down the line, we change managers, we must change the coaches as well, a new direction, new ideas and new methods are needed desperately. 

• Agree 2

You may be using the wrong word when you say "investor".  Certainly if you mean investing to obtain a financial return.  Owning - or putting money into - a football club is one of the quickest and more surefire ways of losing money that exists.

Given that we are just emerging from a global pandemic which has hit many businesses hard, and are also coming to terms with the problems of Brexit, which are especially hitting those who exported to the EU, then the number of "wealthy investors" who would currently be interested in losing shedloads of money must be very small.  And they have probably just had their assets frozen by the government :lol:

Geography comes into it, too, as has been discussed here before.  Inverness is over 100 miles away from the next nearest large towns, more than that from the Central Belt, and may as well be on the moon as far as many English are concerned.  So you are basically looking for a local wealthy businessperson who is happy to lose a lot of money, just for the kudos.

They do exist, of course - we just have to look to Dingwall - but there can't be many of them.  Those of you who live in the area could probably name those who might have the resources.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love to see someone pump money into the club, provided they also hired decent management and coaches.  But, at this particular time, I can't see where they are coming from. 

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
couple of minor tweaks
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Roly said:

what about all the backroom staff? Massive clear out then major restructure required?

Yes, certain individuals have been at the club too long coinciding with several managerial failures or inabilities to meet the expected targets from the club and fans. Fresh blood is needed. While we see questionable tactics we also need to look at are there issues with new mangers getting ideas across and are there some stale minds within the set up who 'have always done things this way mentality'?

4 hours ago, Roly said:

While I accept that Dodds maybe sacked in coming weeks if results don't improve,

While you may accept it, this wont happen. Reaching the play-offs or maintaining that chance will be enough to keep him in a job and if we (somehow) manage that objective it will paper over the cracks enough to get another shot next season.

My thoughts are yes we have a massive problem. I understood when SG came in one of his major aims was to bring in investors? Others appear to have managed this such as Dunfermline. However I get they would have to be a good fit and the last thing we need is a mad owner/large shareholder. 

Personally I've never known us be so top heavy as a club with so many management posts which I assume don't come cheap? 

Have we lost our way? Yes? Will it be sorted soon? I doubt it. When things are good on the field we tend to put up with anything as a support? This is a club that can't even sell us a decent cup of coffee on a matchday these days. 

I agree with poster above that BD won't go anywhere for now. He obviously knows it as well, going by his 'chipper' press this weekend. I also agree that if he went we would just end up with more of the same so no I don't have an answer sadly...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 5

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

So you are basically looking for a local wealthy businessperson who is happy to lose a lot of money, just for the kudos.

They do exist, of course - we just have to look to Dingwall - but there can't be many of them.  Those of you who live in the area could probably name those who might have the resources.

Certain ex-posters on here didn't ever really get the concept of "football fan" 😉
Nearly everybody on here is a fan who would contribute more if they could afford it. From anyone who goes to half a dozen games a year, to ST holders, to pitchside boards, to match sponsors and exec boxes, to buying a seat on the board.
I've never lived in Inverness, just visited regularly for family reasons since the 70s. My perception from outside is that obviously there are far fewer big-money players than exist in Edinburgh or Dundee or wherever, but the handful who do exist, suffer from massive egos that prevent them cooperating with each other for the sake of the club. [insert tin hat emoji]

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Certain ex-posters on here didn't ever really get the concept of "football fan" 😉
Nearly everybody on here is a fan who would contribute more if they could afford it. From anyone who goes to half a dozen games a year, to ST holders, to pitchside boards, to match sponsors and exec boxes, to buying a seat on the board.
I've never lived in Inverness, just visited regularly for family reasons since the 70s. My perception from outside is that obviously there are far fewer big-money players than exist in Edinburgh or Dundee or wherever, but the handful who do exist, suffer from massive egos that prevent them cooperating with each other for the sake of the club. [insert tin hat emoji]

Very true!!

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

No need for the tin hat Mantis I see the same thing living in Inverness.

• Thank You 1

In reply to the first question of the title, I'd say no, a big clear out is not required, here is my take on the situation. 

Ross Morrison and Scot Gardiner have done nothing wrong to warrant all this criticism, apart from the fact that they are not communicating with us the fans. Other than that, they go about their business quietly and also don't overspend which is one thing I like about us as a club. 

John Robertson is one I would say needs to go because he isn't needed imho plus he must want to get back into management now that he is over his personal issues of last season.  Besides we haven't had a DoF since Craig Brewster Mark 2, the responsibilities in that job should be split between RM and SG and in terms of identifying signings, that's the managers job, though I prefer the trial games that we have had in the past. 

BD: I have made my thoughts clear on him and very loudly on FB and twitter etc but it is clear he has to go so SG and RM are failing us by not listening to us regarding his position, we can't afford to keep him until the end of the season, especially if we are going to get into the play offs! Also, his dealings in the transfer market is nothing short of appalling, why the hell sign so many attacking players that aren't needed when it was clear that it was the defence that needed strengthening. 

His after match interviews usually anger fans too as he comes out with utter drivel which is an insult to us, especially the one on Saturday where he says that a run is close, yet the fans know that one is slipping further away! 

SK and BW would then need to go imho as it would be unfair on a new manager to have to have them as assistant and first team manager, however, I don't believe either have done anything wrong to warrant being replaced, especially Scott who is just back from illness earlier this season. 

I do also agree with one poster (I think on the next manager thread) though when they say that certain players need to take a portion of the blame for this run of form, I would say a clear out is needed in the summer if that is at all needed. I have advocated for a long time now that the youngsters deserve a shot because they are certainly capable otherwise they wouldn't be in a semi on Friday night!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Well Said 1

24 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

why the hell sign so many attacking players that aren't needed when it was clear that it was the defence that needed strengthening.

Have to disagree.  I pointed out on several occasions that we had one of the lowest "goals against" totals in the table, whereas our "goals for" was not good.  Strengthening the defence would basically be hoping for 1-0 wins, since our attack was toothless. Since then, of course, injuries and loss of form have changed the picture.  Some of the new guys looked as though they had much-needed energy and directness, but sadly that hasn't resulted in goals.

As for getting rid of BD and his assistants before the end of their contracts: where do you think the money is going to come from to pay them off and attract new people?  And who are you going to attract when you sack people for being third in the table?

• Disagree 2

Are you for real!!!???  His record of late is simply abysmal so of course he deserves the sack and tbh, at most clubs he would be but for some reason we back inept managers for too long instead of having the guts to sack them.

That money excuse doesn't wash with me and other fellow fans, if it needs done then its a cost that is necessary. It would be better if the guy resigned but hes too stubborn to even do that! Besides, money should not be a worry for him as he will be loaded, surely the bbc payed him quite a bit.

As for an "expensive replacement" , it doesn't need to be, we could easily appoint a manager making his debut as a manager so again, I don't buy the "where does the money come from?" Pish that gets spouted .

Anyway, I'm not going to fall out with posters lol as I'm trying to stay on the mods and posters good side :).

• Funny 2

31 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

Are you for real!!!???  His record of late is simply abysmal so of course he deserves the sack and tbh, at most clubs he would be but for some reason we back inept managers for too long instead of having the guts to sack them.

That money excuse doesn't wash with me and other fellow fans, if it needs done then its a cost that is necessary. It would be better if the guy resigned but hes too stubborn to even do that! Besides, money should not be a worry for him as he will be loaded, surely the bbc payed him quite a bit.

As for an "expensive replacement" , it doesn't need to be, we could easily appoint a manager making his debut as a manager so again, I don't buy the "where does the money come from?" Pish that gets spouted .

Anyway, I'm not going to fall out with posters lol as I'm trying to stay on the mods and posters good side :).

If only real life were that simple.

Its not a matter of (solely) having the guts to sack anyone. You need money too. There is such a thing as employment law and when dealing with fixed term contracts, the reality is that we basically have to negotiate if we want to pay someone off to end their contract. That's where 'mutual termination' is spouted, it means we negotiated and came to a deal. If no deal can be reached, then we might have to buy out that contract (put them on gardening leave or give them a cheque and send them on their way) but unless there is some form of gross misconduct, and however offensive we find it, losing a football match is not in that category, we cant just sack them without cost or consequence. 

As for the 'money excuse' ... what excuse? We haven't got a pot to p*** in. Necessary cost or not, if you don't have it, then you cant spend it ... ask Gretna or other teams who went to the wall how 'necessary' some of their financial transactions seem now. We've been out of the Premiership too long to get decent money from the SPFL, we are on hopefully the backend of a pandemic that has seen far more lucrative businesses than football clubs go to the wall, and we traditionally make a loss each year if we don't have some form of windfall from TV, Cup runs or something else. Keeping us afloat is somewhat of an achievement in that respect. 

I do agree that any replacement does not need to be expensive ... but who? and how do you define expensive if you dont have any budget for replacing staff? Don't forget that any manager we put in place, per UEFA club rules, needs their badges if they want to coach at highest levels or be in the progress of obtaining them within the next 6 months if we get back to Premiership so that in itself means they will want decent compensation for their role. We cant just hop down the Bught and offer the job to someone from the Amateur leagues ... so again, talk of money is not 'pish', its realism! We have had mixed success with inexperienced managers - Brewster being good first time round, but terrible second time and Foran who we all wanted to do really well unfortunately being a disappointment. Dougie Imrie seems to have started well, a bit like his terrier like rise through the leagues as a player, perhaps we need someone like that or with that type of personality and drive. I like the idea of someone like Rosscoe if he is up for it and if he has done his badges, but not sure if he has those or if he has done any coaching ... big difference in talking about the game for the media and doing it for real as a manager ... as we have discovered! Would not want him if he has not worked his way through those as I would hate for him to tarnish his legacy as a club legend. Would also love Charlie to take another shot at it, but thats not going to happen. He hated the goldfish bowl last time around and seems happier behind the scenes.  

- Do I like our results? NO.
 - Do I think that BD should remain? I am rapidly approaching the NO camp.
 - Do I think he should take others in the backroom with him? YES if they cannot do the job.
 - Should the CEO go? Not sure. We do seem to be top heavy in 'execs' but given he has overseen us through the financial and COVID storms for now, then perhaps he is not doing as bad a job as some think? I really don't know. Pixellot seems to have been his biggest mistake so far but that was rectified by finally listening about resources we already had that were miles better. The single biggest thing he, and the club, can do now, and must do now is to communicate. They have been terrible at that for a long time now, and its not a good time to be silent!    

• Well Said 1

Don't worry, we're not going to fall out - you are as entitled to your views as I am to mine.

But I am always amazed that people think that football clubs are run using a limitless supply of Monopoly money.  Clubs do go into administration and liquidation.  All it needs is for a bank to say "You've gone beyond the bounds of our agreement.  We are calling in your debt.".

As for Dodds being loaded - what was he at the BBC?  A part-time pundit for BBC Scotland?  (I'm in England, so I don't know.)  Would have paid peanuts - did he do other media work as well?

There are clearly issues at the club on and off the pitch including the team form being abysmal and the chairman renaging on his promise to communicate more ofter and more effectively.

However, I see no evidence that the CEO is not doing a competent job in very challenging circumstances.

• Agree 1

As I said above, one thing I cannot criticise the club for is overspending so that is certainly a positive and tbh, they'll save more money if we start winning or get promoted. 

I like the Dundee U approach of sell players when offered money by clubs and get in quality replacements instead of getting 2/3 duds off of the one wage saved by that sold player so basically quality over quantity, then promote as many of the youngsters as possible. 

As for your point in manager sackings Scott, does "mutually terminated" mean sacking or that both a chairman and manager agree to resignation? The reason i ask is because I've heard that mentioned a few times and just assumed that it meant that the said manager agreed to resign.

If results don't improve and change isn't made then the attendances will be virtually nil as nobody will want to watch that drivel week in week out so its a decision that will need to be made 🤔

All we can hope for is a change in form so the above questions don't become as relevant as they do just now.

8 hours ago, Satan said:

@CaleyTennisWhere does the money come from?

Sorry to spout pish, but it's a very relevant question in respect of our dire attendances of late.

And the more the Dodds situation goes on the less attendances will be. Line has to be drawn and soon.

Whether its agreed or not and whether we (fans) are happy with BD in charge it has to be assumed (given the lack of communication from the club) that the objective (with Killie in the league) was to get a play-off place. Right now we are 3rd and in a pack of 5 clubs fighting for the top 4 places. Regardless of form of those round about he will be seen as still meeting the objectives and heading towards the final 10 games so long as we are mathematically in contention nothing will change.

As said before unless he walks (unlikely), he will probably be here next season too. Miss the play-offs at this late stage he will get it as a rebuild exercise, make the play-off but not go up then it'll be a case of strengthen on the 'trusted' guys we have and try again.

32 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Whether its agreed or not and whether we (fans) are happy with BD in charge it has to be assumed (given the lack of communication from the club) that the objective (with Killie in the league) was to get a play-off place. Right now we are 3rd and in a pack of 5 clubs fighting for the top 4 places. Regardless of form of those round about he will be seen as still meeting the objectives and heading towards the final 10 games so long as we are mathematically in contention nothing will change.

As said before unless he walks (unlikely), he will probably be here next season too. Miss the play-offs at this late stage he will get it as a rebuild exercise, make the play-off but not go up then it'll be a case of strengthen on the 'trusted' guys we have and try again.

And the longer he stays the less support the club will receive. If this the case then the board lack ambition and we need to question weather Ross and company are fit for purpose.

1 hour ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

And the longer he stays the less support the club will receive. If this the case then the board lack ambition and we need to question weather Ross and company are fit for purpose.

With the grand plan of who exactly to take over? Whether we all agree the board are the correct people or otherwise, past history has shown there isnt a queue of affluent or even interested candidates awaiting.

I have alluded in other posts to where I consider the board are failing on promises made when coming in, however most focus on 'investment'. Without delving into club finances are we in a better or worse position since he came in - think the answer is better. Too many seem to think when 'investment' is mentioned we should be expecting vast drops of cash a-la Saudi billionaires however the reality is that Scottish football (and even more so at our level) basically need philanthropists with publicity egos (Uncle Roy etc) to donate sums and there isn't many of them about unfortunately.

So any calls to remove the board - will result in the question - who is going to come in thats better?