Hamilton -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

From a great position in December, we have completely blown it.

So depressing....................I have now lost all hope and am hoping that my other (even longer term) long term football love Spurs can put a shine on the remainder of the season......  Not holding my breath though.

Seeing as Kingsmills thinks I’m an optimist, some pluses from our dismal run:

Cammy MacKay has shown he is a very capable goalie with two very good performances in which he had several good saves and could not be blamed for the goals we lost.

Lewis Hyde did not look out of place at right back tonight (and I may be wrong but is he not a midfielder?).

Lewis Nicolson looks a prospect at left back.

Sam Pearson is a find and his first senior goal tonight should give him confidence to kick on. I wish we’d give him the full 90 minutes rather than subbing him, though.

It is good to have Devine and Doran back. Hopefully they are fully fit for next Friday.

Yes, there are an awful lot of negatives which we are rightly highlighting and discussing, particularly the 10 game winless run and some of our tactics, but I felt it worth taking a step back and looking at positives. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Robert said:

Seeing as Kingsmills thinks I’m an optimist, some pluses from our dismal run:

Cammy MacKay has shown he is a very capable goalie with two very good performances in which he had several good saves and could not be blamed for the goals we lost.

Lewis Hyde did not look out of place at right back tonight (and I may be wrong but is he not a midfielder?).

Lewis Nicolson looks a prospect at left back.

Sam Pearson is a find and his first senior goal tonight should give him confidence to kick on. I wish we’d give him the full 90 minutes rather than subbing him, though.

It is good to have Devine and Doran back. Hopefully they are fully fit for next Friday.

Yes, there are an awful lot of negatives which we are rightly highlighting and discussing, particularly the 10 game winless run and some of our tactics, but I felt it worth taking a step back and looking at positives. 

Just to add Austin Samuels is showing potential and I hope he will improve as he gets more game time.  I don't understand why he took off Pearson early!

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, IBM said:

Just to add Austin Samuels is showing potential and I hope he will improve as he gets more game time.  I don't understand why he took off Pearson early!

I agree. If we play Samuels wide, he needs to improve how he tracks back and supports the left back (as does Pearson on the right) but he created the confusion that led to our goal and was troubling their right back at times, particularly when he came inside. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, IBM said:

Looking back on iPlayer, it's not quite as good as I had thought, but the goal was still an example of the directness of play from the new guys that I have mentioned once or twice.

Samuels cut inside, then passed towards three of our players in fairly central positions on the edge of the box.  (Three?  How did that happen? :lol:)  In that type of situation, either one of your own players receives it, in a dangerous position, or you may well get lucky with a mistake by a defender.  The latter is what happened in this case.

Play the percentages, make direct moves and passes into dangerous areas, and you will make your own luck.

I agree about Pearson.  I thought he did well.  Of all the new guys, Hardy is the one who has impressed me least - though to be fair, I don't think he has had as much game-time as the others.

2 hours ago, cif73 said:

Does anyone know where Roddy MacGregor has gone? 

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Yes

31 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

You've been on the club's communications training course! :lol:

Nope - he answered the question !  that's not in the handbook !

• Agree 1

That last nights performance is seen as an improvement shows how far we've fallen this season. Another poor showing with the defence looking suspect, midfield unable to create anything and wasteful finishing up front. The first half was poor again and although we were better in the second half and probably should have won it we didn't and we drop more points and can kiss goodbye to any lingering dreams of a title fight. Mckay (twice), Pearson, McAlear and Hardy all had great chances to grab a vital win but at no point did any of them really look like scoring.

Staggered that Samuels is getting praise on here. I must be watching a different player as time and time again he just seemed to run into a dead end and lose the ball. He barely created anything of note the entire game. Yes he helped to set up the goal but I'm sorry, he got lucky there. When he plays that pass it's going to absolutely no one in a blue shirt. I don't think Dodds knows where to play him in this team. Pearson was better on the opposite flank but seemed to fade into the second half. He helped out Hyde a lot when the latter was getting the run around from Kennedy to begin with. I felt Doran did reasonably well as a 10 behind Mckay and linked well with the wide men. Disappointed when he went off.

Easy to say with hindsight but I feel we rushed Devine back too quickly for this one. He seemed to misjudge a header and appeared to jarr his foot in the pitch and looked to have tweaked something as he limped off. Not what we need right now. Broadfoot and Deas both made errors during the course of the match being caught in possession or letting balls run by them thinking there was no one else around.

I thought Sutherland was actually quite decent when he came on. He seemed to give our attack a wee bit of a boost when it seemed Hamilton were coming back into things and he did well to pick Mckay out for a chance IIRC. (Cammy) Mackay did well and pulled off some good saves. Especially the one in the first half when it looked like an Accies player wandered back onto the pitch, was surely offside and came across the path of the ball. Given Muir's performance if that had gone in I suspect it would have stood. As bad an officiating display as I've seen in a long time.

There was no lack of effort but there's just not a lot of good football being played by these guys just now. 

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 5
  • Well Said 1

Again, results couldn't have gone much better for us. Other teams in the race falling over themselves to do us a favour.

For all the resources Killie are throwing at it, they are really poor and I sincerely hope they fail.

If we'd had a half decent run since the Morton 6-1 win, we'd have a healthy lead at the top. If only...............

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DWH said:

Again, results couldn't have gone much better for us. Other teams in the race falling over themselves to do us a favour.

For all the resources Killie are throwing at it, they are really poor and I sincerely hope they fail.

If we'd had a half decent run since the Morton 6-1 win, we'd have a healthy lead at the top. If only...............

With everyone else stumbling to a draw, it is even more frustrating that we did so too.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, GoliathGrunt said:

Not one team is that superior to another. Therefore the playoffs are reachable. And more importantly winable. 

Wish I shared your optimism!

11 matches, no wins.....................and counting...........

• tm4tj unpinned this topic