UKRAINIAN FLAG

izzy

Whilst it goes without saying some world events transcend the game of football it will be interesting to see whether the world governing bodies demonstrate their usual pedantry or is a laudable terracing political show of solidarity deemed allowable provided they agree you're backing the good guys ? 

Screenshot_20220303-111130.png

I did think of suggesting that it would be a matter of courtesy to inform both clubs in advance.  However, since the SFA have subsequently pledged solidarity with and support for Ukraine, I think you're on solid ground. 

Unless either club is secretly owned by an oligarch who is mates with Putin....  :amazed:

11 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I did think of suggesting that it would be a matter of courtesy to inform both clubs in advance.  However, since the SFA have subsequently pledged solidarity with and support for Ukraine, I think you're on solid ground. 

Unless either club is secretly owned by an oligarch who is mates with Putin....  :amazed:

No open displays of political soldidarity is permitted unless we first pledge our support.. It is quite Putinesque come to think of it 😎

33 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I sincerely hope that the club will be sourcing it's own Ukrainian flag to fly above the stadium for our remaining home games.

A small gesture but these little things add up.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Yngwie said:

There is an interview on BBC with our first manager Sergei Baltacha, who is originally from Mariupol.

And a piece about him in the sports section of yesterday's (Saturday's) "Times".

He is youth coach at Charlton, and has never actualy gone back to stay in Ukraine.  (You'll remember that his late daughter, Elena, was the UK's no 1 female tennis player for a while.)

Interestingly, he is proud of what the USSR was - "better than Russia is now" - and sees himself as both Soviet and Ukrainian, in much the same way that some of us might regard ourselves as British and Scottish.

He has a 67yo brother in Kyiv, "armed with hope and a Kalashnikov".

The Ukrainian flag was the first thing I noticed on arrival at the stadium on Saturday. It made me feel proud of the supporters involved and of the club for their support. I don't think a flag exists that is too big to show, in support of those from Ukraine. It may be that as a result of all these small gestures of support, that the people of Ukraine will find the strength to carry on.

I had wondered if there would have been a collection at the gates for those in need as a result of the situation. I would be happy to be involved if there was one at a home game.

• Like 4