Inverness CT -V- Arbroath - Preview

tm4tj

What a pleasure and a relief to win again at last.

Huge game now next week in Kirkcaldy against our rivals for the final play off place but we can take confidence not just from the result but from the performance and commitment shown today. That's what we need to see for all our remaining games.

This cloudy season could yet conclude with a silver lining.

• Agree 6

Much better performance today helped hugely by the change in formation which should have happened weeks ago. By not playing with two out and out wide men, we looked much more solid in midfield and defence. Thought Shane played well and Duffy was immense when he came on winning every header. 

Arbroath are a very aggressive and niggly team and were aided in this by yet another abysmal refereeing performance littered with inconsistent decisions. At least it didn't affect the result and I can enjoy a Saturday night for a change. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A very welcome win and 3 points! Our 2nd goal was the highlight of the game, and how we should be aiming to play - much quicker and more direct. 

I thought arbroath were pretty awful, really didn't trouble mackay at all (apart from one attempt in the first half that came back off the post when mackay seemed to misjudge?)

• Agree 1

I really enjoyed that, and at last a Saturday feels like a Saturday should, after a great afternoon watching football: a good all round performance, a comfortable win and a morale boosting three points.

My only complaint is that we still hoofed a lot of high balls forward, giving Mckay and Hardy little chance.

I thought every player played their part, and we were certainly motivated and committed. We got a bit of luck when Arbroath hit the post but generally coped pretty well, with a lot of bodies put on the line to block efforts.

Sutherland was the pick for me. His early goal settled us and his work rate was immense. The highlight was McAlear’s finish after some quick, excellent play.

And a shout out for the singing section who were vocal throughout the game.

One game does not forgive the last three months, but if we can maintain the level of performance and commitment, a play off spot should be ours.

Well done!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 5

At last and well done to the team.It is funny that a lot of us on here were saying that the formation was all wrong for weeks, they change it and we win.We also said keep the ball on the deck and pass from back to front and they were better at that.I am critical of Sutherland, but he played well today,as did Carson and Duffy when he came on.We still need a good number 10 and I'm afraid to say I think Doran and Broadfoot have seen better days.Overall the rot has been stopped but next weeks game is crucial and will let us know if we have really turned the corner.

Arbroath looked tired and no wonder,they have done well this season. But other than hitting the post that was about it in an attacking sense

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Agree 3

Delighted with the win today.  Had forgotten what it feels like.

It was a battling win, not a great game.  The ball was richocheting around as in a pinball machine, and neither team played with much structure or control.  I was surprised at how poor Arbroath were.

We made only about six chances, and scored with three of them - two of them in the first few minutes.  As I have said, I think that we go out and play much the same every week, and sometimes we get the breaks.  Well, today we did.

Disappointed with everyone hoofing long balls towards our 5'7" strikers.  Even Cammy MacKay was doing it, instead of rolling it out as he often does.  I thought that we had obviously been instructed to get the ball as far away from our goal as possible.

But a win is a win, especially welcome after three months.  Well done to everyone!

• Agree 3

I have just checked the score in case I had fallen asleep and was dreaming :lol: That was a good team performance today against a tough side not what I was expecting after the shocking games we have had to endure this year.  Long may it continue!

• Agree 3

Reflecting on this afternoon, it was good to see Walsh back for a spell and he looked up for it despite being overlooked in recent weeks. Duffy and Harper also played their part off the bench.

Doran was harshly booked after being kicked whilst on the ground after a foul. It should have been a red card for the Arbroath player but the referee took the easy option as Doran understandably reacted. It was a good decision to sub him as he was clearly incensed by the way the Arbroath player had treated him.

I was surprised Broadfoot was subbed. Had he taken a knock or was it because the Arbroath strikers had the beating of him? Duffy was faultless after he took over.

Carson was needlessly booked for an unnecessary foul as we entered stoppage time. Hopefully it doesn’t result in a suspension in the run in. He did seem more like himself though.

I was surprised MacKay started ahead of Ridgers again. Maybe Ridgers is not fully fit?

I liked the look of Hardy. He made a nuisance of himself throughout his time on the pitch, whilst Mckay seemed much more like himself in today’s formation.

Let’s just do less of the long high ball game, please.

Anyway, good to have the win and maybe Dodds’ comments about a run will come to fruition. We need to kick on and show today was not a one off.

Edited by Robert
  • Well Said 1

That was a very welcome and long overdue three points. We played with a lot more intensity today, closing them down and making quick passes on the front foot. We must continue to pass our way to goal, as our second goal illustrates what we can achieve when we hit our opponents with quick passes and play our football on the deck. Still too many long hopeful balls punted up to our small strikers, their centre backs won every one, can we not see how fruitless this tactic is? I thought the tactics were spot on today, we played a lot narrower, and when we passed through our midfield, looked dangerous everytime. The whole team performed well, but I think Sutherland and Carson for me were the pick.

If we can play with this intensity and desire in the remaining games the final play off place will be ours.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Great win and 3 points desperately needed!   Thought we did well for first 20 mins then Broath had the upper hand but nowt much apart from hitting post when Mackay was so slow to react

I was so glad Mackay scored, he needed that badly.    That put the game to bed.

Dick was foul mouthing ref, was ref and anyone else that listened and got the customary red...

Thought Carson worked hard but distribution was poor and he is no RB.   Clubfoot was awful.   Almost cost us twice when misjudged a  couple of punts up the park....we need better.   As we need proper full backs.

Arbroath fans were good crack in town/pubs/ game/bus ,   proper supporters. 

So glad I have consumed much beer and wine!

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Reflecting on this afternoon, it was good to see Walsh back for a spell and he looked up for it despite being overlooked in recent weeks. Duffy and Harper also played their part off the bench.

Doran was harshly booked after being kicked whilst on the ground after a foul. It should have been a red card for the Arbroath player but the referee took the easy option as Doran understandably reacted. It was a good decision to sub him as he was clearly incensed by the way the Arbroath player had treated him.

I was surprised Broadfoot was subbed. Had he taken a knock or was it because the Arbroath strikers had the beating of him? Duffy was faultless after he took over.

Carson was needlessly booked for an unnecessary foul as we entered stoppage time. Hopefully it doesn’t result in a suspension in the run in. He did seem more like himself though.

I was surprised MacKay started ahead of Ridgers again. Maybe Ridgers is not fully fit?

I liked the look of Hardy. He made a nuisance of himself throughout his time on the pitch, whilst Mckay seemed much more like himself in today’s formation.

Let’s just do less of the long high ball game, please.

Anyway, good to have the win and maybe Dodds’ comments about a run will come to fruition. We need to kick on and show today was not a one off.

I can't see Cammy being dropped anytime soon? None of the goals he's lost last few weeks have been his fault and a clean sheet yesterday. Ridgers isn't going to waltz back in by looks of it. Great to have 2 fab keepers on our books really. 

• Agree 1

My feet still firmly on the ground but great to get a convincing win (not just any old win)... Excellent performance when the ball was on the ground. I think our coaches must have been on a final warning as they got the tactics just right for a change.

All we have to do now is to play with that intensity and conviction and get ourselves promotied to the top league Come on I C T.:ictscarf:

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Thought Sutherland made a huge difference today, linked the play and shown confidence trying to pick a pass, where others just try and get rid.

Still far to many hopeful long punts, but after such a winless run will happily take any 3 points.

Just watched the highlights and Shane had a hand in all three goals. Probably his best game for us since returning. Raith will be as relieved as we were yesterday to get a first win for months so next weeks game will be interesting to say the least.

• Agree 3

Well done and thanks to all the boys for a great afternoons entertainment. More of the same please in the coming weeks.

After our last home game against Arbroath, it was particularly satisfying to watch the lack of time wasting from their goalie and others yesterday, compared with last time. I'm proud to say that our boys did not resort to the same shoddy tactics, but kept pressing forward for more goals.

Onward and upwards now.

• Agree 3

Delighted to get 3 points on the board. However, celebrating our first win in 12, against a part time team who looked like they were running on empty, as if we'd won the league, just shows how far we've fallen and how desperate we've become.

• Disagree 2
  • Confused 2
  • angry 1

10 minutes ago, STFU said:

Delighted to get 3 points on the board. However, celebrating our first win in 12, against a part time team who looked like they were running on empty, as if we'd won the league, just shows how far we've fallen and how desperate we've become.

Disappointing to see such a negative reaction to a decent performance and a good result against the team leading the league for most of the season.

Yes, recent weeks and months have been desperately disappointing but yesterday could well be a turning point.

We are still in with a shout of promotion and I personally would prefer to adopt a more positive attitude for as long as that remains the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Well Said 1

38 minutes ago, STFU said:

I didn't notice anyone celebrating like we had won the league. I did notice for the first time in many weeks fans talking positively and been greatly encouraged by a performance and result. To beat the league leaders going into the weekend so comfortably is something that should be celebrated. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, STFU said:

Think it was just sheer relief tbh 

• tm4tj unpinned this topic