Raith Rovers -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

35 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Don’t usually criticise refs but I’ve observed Colin Steven since he started in the non league and he’s consistently hopeless.

I've always enjoyed the Raith commentators - no matter what they call us - although it wasn't the usual second man today.

One of them before the match said "The ref today is one of my favourites, Colin Steven.  And if you detected any sarcasm in that, it was purely intentional!".  :lol:

• Funny 1

I had to spend about 15 minutes in the car trying to collect myself before I could drive back. What an utterly bonkers match.

Clear red card for Benedictus and if Broadfoot did have him by the throat, whilst I can understand his anger, it sounds like we were lucky to avoid a dismissal as well. I didn't even know Williamson had been sent off :laugh: I think I was trying to breathe normally again at that point.

We were a mess at the back for much of that game and I felt we gifted Raith their goals by not dealing with balls forward and MacKay not really covering himself in glory for the first and looked weak at the second as well. I guess Raith will feel the same about our goal with Thomson looking really weak on the high ball that led to the goal.

We were absolutely out of that game until the red card. Our tactics seemed to consist of someone trying to dink a ball over the top of the Raith defence and hope that Samuels or Mckay could latch onto it. It took about 8 unsuccessful attempts before the ICT support made clear their feelings that it wasn't working.

Looked like Chalmers first strike was deflected over Thomson but who cares. Limbs in the away end as we thought we grabbed a scarcely deserved point but even better was to follow as Chalmers hit a lovely low drive sweetly past Thomson. Incredible limbs and a charge down the McDermid stand to celebrate with the players. You love to see it!

A simply mind boggling afternoon which saw us grab a massive 3 points but it papered over the cracks of a largely poor performance in which we got the benefit of the doubt with some questionable refereeing decisions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

Even at this early stage  it's looking extremely likely that the Premiership side in the play offs will be St Johnstone.

I hope that, from the point of view of being as prepared as possible, one of the coaching team will take in a couple of their league matches just in case we prove good enough or lucky enough to make the play off final.

• Agree 1

Having reflected on the goals conceded today, I can't help feeling that Cammy could have done better with both of them.

I appreciate that this view might not be popular as, prior to today, he has been very solid since he came into the team but, in my view, we should be going with Ridgers, asuuming he is fully fit, as the more experienced "keeper for the remaining games of the season.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

Looking at the remaining fixtures, on paper we have the easiest run in, playing only one of the top 5 (Killie), and five of the bottom 5.

Killie play four of the top 5 ( us, Partick, Arbroath and Raith), and only 2 of the bottom 5.

Arbroath play three of the top 5 ( Raith, Partick and Killie) and three of the bottom 5.

Partick play  three of the top 5 ( Killie, Arbroath and Raith) and four of the bottom 5.

Raith play three of the top 5 (Arbroath, Partick and Killie) and three of the bottom 5.

I know that in this crazy league any team can beat anyone else (whether they are currently in the top 5, or bottom 5), but everything now is firmly in our own hands if we can maintain some consistency, so let's all get behind the team for the remaining games, to help them secure a good play-off position, and then, "who knows".

• Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The never give up attitude after lots of hoofball was getting us nowhere gave us two great goals from Chalmers :clapping: and stole the game, just fantastic!  

We have now won our first two games this year but still a lot to do.  We havn't faired so well playing teams in the lower half of the league so this has to change with our run in starting next week at home against Dunfermline.  

• Agree 3

Well all I can say is, what a weekend :O.

I was worried when we went 1-0 and 2-1 down but credit must go to all involved, and that includes the management, for turning it around :).

Oh and to the poster on page 2, I'm glad I watched the Rugby because Italy deserved the win, it was like Wales just expected to turn up and win, sound familiar?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I would be interested to know what our points per game is when we wear the pink kit compared with other away kits in recent years.  It seems to me we should play in pink every week.

The pink kit is, by far, the best away kit we have ever had.

Certainly a far nicer kit than the current one.

• Like 4

Cammy could have done better with the first goal but to be fair it was a shot which moved from one side of him to the other quickly and these can catch even top keepers out.

Bewildered how some are blaming him for the second goal however and this is just deflecting criticism from the defence in not holding a line or dealing with nothing more than a simple lump forwards

What was missed by the commentators at their goalie’s injury was the push their defender gave our forward which resulted in the collision. Some of our players were claiming a penalty, and in many games it could have been given.

Watching it back, Chalmers steadied himself well before his two shots. I don’t see how MacKay can be blamed for the second goal, but I still think he could have kept the first one out.

A lucky three points, but we’ve beaten two of our rivals in a week which must have boosted the confidence of the squad.

Now we need to beat Dunfermline for the first time this season next week. I have former colleagues coming up from Fife to join me at the game so really need a win to avoid getting stick from them all evening after it!

Edited by Robert

We are now in with a shout of promotion via the play offs.

However, to have a realistic chance, we need to keep as many of our limited squad as possible available to play.

Yesterday our most experienced player was lucky not to be sent off for reacting to what was admittedly a reckless challenge on him and could easily have found himself suspended for a straight red.

I realise that it is sometimes difficult in the heat of things but, from now until the end of the season, discipline will be almost as important as commitment.

The best form of retaliation is to watch your opponent leave the pitch head bowed in defeat.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

I would be interested to know what our points per game is when we wear the pink kit compared with other away kits in recent years.  It seems to me we should play in pink every week.

It’s funny you mention this as I thought the same. I bought a yellow strip for my 6s team as I thought it was easier to pick out players…could be nonsense that but we did win the league 4 times in a row. Maybe there is something in it! 

The players need to get into their heads that when playing Dunfermline, who are bottom, that they will be fighting for their survival in this league, so we need to get into the mindset that we are fighting for promotion through the playoffs. We have struggled against the bottom clubs this season, and this would be a good time to go for our third win on the bounce. We also need to get out of the habit of punting the ball aimlessly up the park. Surely the percentage of unsuccessful attacks or goals leading from this practice must show the coaching staff that it doesn't work. Start on the front foot, close the opposition down and pass the ball and shoot more often, it's not rocket science. 

• Agree 7

4 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The players need to get into their heads that when playing Dunfermline, who are bottom, that they will be fighting for their survival in this league, so we need to get into the mindset that we are fighting for promotion through the playoffs. We have struggled against the bottom clubs this season, and this would be a good time to go for our third win on the bounce. We also need to get out of the habit of punting the ball aimlessly up the park. Surely the percentage of unsuccessful attacks or goals leading from this practice must show the coaching staff that it doesn't work. Start on the front foot, close the opposition down and pass the ball and shoot more often, it's not rocket science. 

Absolutely agree. Our last two victories could count for very little if we can't beat the Pars, who are bottom of the league for a reason, for the first time this season.

We are better than them. As Jaggernaught says, we have to be as comitted in the pursuit of promotion as they will be in avoiding relegation.

• Agree 5

• tm4tj unpinned this topic