Kingsmills

Tonight's game at Rugby Park could go a very long way to deciding the title and with it the sole automatic promotion spot.

Taking nothing for granted but assuming we get through the first play of round, which of Kilmarnock or Arbroath would you prefer to face in the second round?

We should really have no reason  to fear either as we have beaten both home and away this season.

However, Kilmarnock are the full time time with the better players who were able to strengthen very considerably in the January window and, in my view would be the more dangerous opponents.

For that reason, I will be hoping for a Kilmarnock victory this evening much as I would otherwise love to see part time Arbroath with their slightly ramshackle ground shake up Scottish football by reaching the Premiership.

The pressure is all on Kilmarnock.  Many would have expected them to have clinched the title by now and for Arbroath to have dropped off the pace.  But Arbroath have continued to surprise displaying astonishing fitness levels for a part time team and a team spirit that few can match.  On paper Kilmarnock have the better players, but Arbroath will not allow them time on the ball and have demonstrated time and again that they have good attacking options too.  I think Kilmarnock will need to show patience and composure tonight if their quality is to win through, and I'm not sure they will manage that.  I've a feeling Arbroath are going to edge this and take it to the final day.

As for the play offs, similar arguments apply.  Were we to play Kilmarnock, the pressure would be on them whereas we would maybe feel we ought to beat Arbroath.  However, anything can happen on the night so I'm really not bothered which of the 2 we play as long as we get to play one of them.  Having said that, I will certainly be rooting for Arbroath tonight because they deserve to win.  Their story this season is a quite extraordinary one and it would be a real shame if they were unable to see it through to a happy end.

• Agree 1

I agree that Arbroath have been remarkable with few of us believing they would stay the course.

Whatever now happens, I believe that Dick Campbell deserves to be crowned SPFL Manager of the Season and not just the divisional award for which he has been a shoe in for months.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I agree that Arbroath have been remarkable with few of us believing they would stay the course.

Whatever now happens, I believe that Dick Campbell deserves to be crowned SPFL Manager of the Season and not just the divisional award for which he has been a shoe in for months.

I heard "Dick ******* Campbell" speak at a dinner a few years back and he was hilarious - the tone was set when he apologised in advance to the two women in the front table. The media will have to be on their toes when they interview him each week at five o'clock in the Prem 😂

A shame for Arbroath who battled to the end.

However, their consolation prize is that they can now sit back smoking cigars while we battle out two tough matches with either Partick or Raith Rovers.

The very fit part timers with their wiley old manager will be well rested and very dangerous opponents indeed.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

However, their consolation prize is that they can now sit back smoking cigars while we battle out two tough matches with either Partick or Raith Rovers.

The very fit part timers with their wiley old manager will be well rested and very dangerous opponents indeed.

Didn't we say the same (bar the bit about them being well rested) last time yet we went out and pumped them 3-0 😁?

11 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

They were blowing out of their arses after an hour last night before they completely collapsed. Gaston was making saves in slow motion. Not sure how well set up they are for two games a week for three weeks in the playoffs when they already look to be running on empty.

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

They were blowing out of their arses after an hour last night before they completely collapsed. Gaston was making saves in slow motion. Not sure how well set up they are for two games a week for three weeks in the playoffs when they already look to be running on 

We ourselves have to get through the first round first.

Does anyone have a a preference whether they want to face Partick or Raith Rovers ? We have had mixed fortunes against both this season.

26 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

We ourselves have to get through the first round first.

Does anyone have a a preference whether they want to face Partick or Raith Rovers ? We have had mixed fortunes against both this season.

Raith Rovers for me and someone else has already said about the ploughed field at Patrick. 

Anyone. We are the best team potentially of the four/five championship sides in contention.

Probably with St Johnston as the Premiership club.

All to play for come the play-off's, therefore don't read too much into the next couple of games, that's not where the big money is to be made.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Anyone. We are the best team potentially of the four/five championship sides in contention.

Probably with St Johnston as the Premiership club.

All to play for come the play-off's, therefore don't read too much into the next couple of games, that's not where the big money is to be made.

I agree. An extra £28,000 for finishing 3rd rather than 4th pales into insignificance to the million pound plus extra revenue we could potentially have from being in the Premiership as opposed to the Championship next season.

However, it's still not to be sniffed at, nor is the advantage of playing the second leg of the first play off round at home.

We need to strive to finish 3rd without busting a gut to do so and it would be nice if we could do so this afternoon making next Friday a game that we merely need to fulfil in any manner and with the players we choose to.

18 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

For once, I am not all that fussed whether we win on Friday or not.

After that, it will be an entirely different matter.

The way I look at it, winning breeds confidence and is a great habit!

Just now, DWH said:

The way I look at it, winning breeds confidence and is a great habit!

Will be at all the away play off matches! Really looking forward to it!

Arbroath will be the toughest one!