Paul Cherry Medal Raffle In Aid Of Dnipro Kids

IBM

Paul Cherry Medal Raffle In Aid Of Dnipro Kids

Page-6-Paul-Cherry-1170x650.jpg
 APRIL 4, 2022

ICTFC MEDIA

Former Caley Thistle player Paul Cherry is raffling his 1996/97 Third Division Winners medal in aid of the charity Dnipro Kids, to help with the ongoing crisis in Ukraine.

Entries to the Raffle cost £10 and are available HERE & the Raffle ends on Saturday, 30th April 2022

PaulCherryMedal-1024x576.png

Cherry made over 100 appearances for the Caley Jags, scoring 19 goals in his time during the club between 1996 and 1999.

1996-97-1024x820.jpg
1996/97 Squad Photo

The former ICTFC Midfielder spoke to ictfc.com about his decision to raffle his 1996/97 league Winners medal.

Cherry said: “The medal has been in my drawer in my house and I thought the money we can hopefully raise can go to better use for these young kids.”

“The charity was set up by my friend Steven Carr, I saw him on national television when he was bringing the Ukrainian orphans over to the UK. There was about 50 of them and I thought that was just superb and I thought if I could help in any way then I would. 

“Obviously, for a football supporter, to have a chance to have a tiny bit of the club’s history with a medal then everyone benefits. I have the memories in my head, I’ve got scrap books so I don’t need medals.”

Paul also reflected on his time at Inverness being a positive one in his career and the vision of the club attracted him at the time.

He said: “When I came up to Inverness, I’d left St Johnstone where I’d had a successful career, we had Dougie McGilvray as Chairman at the time, Steve Paterson as manager and the vision they had was something I wanted to be apart of.”

“Moving to a new Stadium, Inverness wanted to get onto the football map which they’ve obviously done really well since then. The club had really nice people, a great team spirit which is the most important thing, all successful teams have very good team spirits and that’s what Steve Paterson and Alex Caldwell tried to grow.”

“It was just a really good, enjoyable and successful period up there. I only have good memories and look out for their results every week.”

Since retiring from football Paul has since moved to Spain.

He said: “We moved to Spain 17 years ago, we have an estate agency which is CherSun.com which keeps us really busy.”

“We have a really nice lifestyle over here. I don’t miss the Inverness weather!”

“I had great football memories up in Inverness. I still watchout for a few of my ex-teammates who work for the club Billy Dodds, John Robertson, Barry Wilson and Charlie Christie. I have great memories there and hopefully the club can be promoted back to the Premiership, where they deserve to be.”

• Like 4

• IBM featured and pinned this topic

Thanks for posting that. I will be purchasing a couple of tickets for such a worthy cause and should I be successful will return the medal to Paul who deserves still to own it as much for this gesture as for his considerable contribution to winning our first national title.

I well remember the trophy presentation which was only slightly dampened by being thrashed at home by Forfar on the final day of the season.

However, the league was well won long before then.

Paul was a fine player who I imagine would have been close to Sergei Baltacha from their time together at St Johnstone.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Like 2
  • Well Said 1

I’ve bought a couple of tickets - such a great gesture for a great cause.  If I win I will enjoy the prize for a very wee while and then return to Paul for his memorabilia.   

• Like 5

As far as the line up in the team photo above, who is the fella back left.....next to Scott Maclean? And also, who was the back up goalkeeper?

*ps, may as well ask who the lad, right at the back, to the right of Ian Macarthur is?

Edited by SMEE

11 hours ago, SMEE said:

As far as the line up in the team photo above, who is the fella back left.....next to Scott Maclean? And also, who was the back up goalkeeper?

*ps, may as well ask who the lad, right at the back, to the right of Ian Macarthur is?

Robbie Benson on the left, Neal Sinclair on the right. Don Macmillan was backup keeper. 

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Robbie Benson on the left, Neal Sinclair on the right. Don Macmillan was backup keeper. 

Well done Scotty I really struggled identifying Neil Sinclair. Anyone know where he disappeared to?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten all about it!  I've now purchased a couple of tickets but somewhat shocked to see that only 100 tickets have been sold so far.  One only has to see the heartbreaking images on TV everyday to understand what a worthy cause this is and what a great gesture it is from Paul to offer up his medal to support this cause.  It closes on Saturday so, buy your tickets NOW before it is too late.             🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten all about it!  I've now purchased a couple of tickets but somewhat shocked to see that only 100 tickets have been sold so far.  One only has to see the heartbreaking images on TV everyday to understand what a worthy cause this is and what a great gesture it is from Paul to offer up his medal to support this cause.  It closes on Saturday so, buy your tickets NOW before it is too late.             🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

100 tickets equates to 1,000 pounds which I thought was quite impressive.

There are, quite rightly, numerous successful appeals to help alleviate at least some of the suffering being visited on Ukraine by the despot Putin but every penny is needed and more besides.

42 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

100 tickets equates to 1,000 pounds which I thought was quite impressive.

There are, quite rightly, numerous successful appeals to help alleviate at least some of the suffering being visited on Ukraine by the despot Putin but every penny is needed and more besides.

I agree although some of us can easy buy tickets others at this time can not afford to spend money on things other than food and power and as you say there are so many appeals.  At least a reminder got another couple of tickets sold and might get a few more :smile:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The draw has been made, and I guess the unhappy faces appearing next to my ticket numbers means I didn’t win!

Hope someone here was successful.

Ditto. I will be happy if any ICT fan has won, especially if the medal eventually finds it way back to Paul.

A 4 figure sum going to an extremely worthy cause. Well done to Paul and to all who purchased tickets.

The winner is Scott Campbell a regular North Stand supporter :clapping: I have not been able to find out how much was raised from the Raffle website but thanks to all that supported it on this forum.

Medal.PNG

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • IBM unfeatured this topic
  • IBM featured and unfeatured this topic