Ayr United -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

Disappointing. We have a dominant start to the game and create a well deserved 2 goal lead playing some of our best football of the season.

Then, instead of continuing to do what got us there, we decide to sit back and cruise through the rest of the game in third gear.

Can someone please tell Billy Dodds that we are not good enough to decide to take it easy against anyone, far less a team fighting for their lives at the foot of the table.

We were fortunate today that Raith Rovers lost and we will almost certainly be in the play offs but we have almost certainly blown our chance of overhauling Arbroath and giving an easier passage through the play offs.

We can't afford to indulge in such a level of complacency again between now and the end of the season, whenever that may be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Good opening 20 minutes but after that it all went pear shaped. Even before the break we were looking slack and just punting the ball long. it seemed there was no composure whatsoever amongst the players. And at the start of the second half that continued. Ayr utterly dominated and we were on the back foot from the first whistle (of the second half). Quite how Dodds could stand there and, seemingly, think this was fine is beyond me. Yes the recent wins have been good but we were rank against Raith after a decent opening start and got a bit lucky. Arbroath and Dunfermline were good performances but yet again we have been poor for what feels like the umpteenth time this season. It's not good enough and whilst playoffs are all but secured I cannot see how we can be good enough over what is likely to be 6 games to get promoted when we've arguably not played well in 6 games this season.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

What a disappointing end to a game that started with such promise.   Looking extremely unlikely that we can finish 2nd now.  We would need to win all our last 4 games to  get to 62 points.  Ayr can do that with one win out of their last three.  And even then, at 62 points each Arbroath's goal difference would probably be superior.  So, for us to finish ahead of  Arbroath they would have to get no more than 2 points from their last three.  Clutching at straws I fear.   So it will probably have to be the long haul through the play-offs.  Let us hope that we can raise our performance levels and give it a really good go. 

• Agree 1

When Ayr brought on Adeloye and O'Connor at the start of the second half our defence was starting to creak and that's when we should have made changes then they brought on Smith and things got worse.  It took until the 83rd minute before he took on Devine.  Lee Bullen got his tactics right and were unlucky not to win the game.

• Agree 1

The first third of the game epitomised about a third of our season. Sadly, the remaining two thirds of the game summed up the other two thirds of our season which is why we long ago dropped out of the race for the title and why there remain lingering doubts about Billy Dodds as head coach.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Sums it up so well (although Partick won last night).

Whilst we look certain to make the play offs, I can’t see us getting through three two leg ties against, most likely, Partick, Arbroath and St Johnstone given our inconsistency.

As Kingsmills has said, today epitomised our season.

At 2-0 up so early, we should have kicked on and had a confidence boosting comfortable win, but we self destructed.

We need to up our game for Friday. 

Edited by Robert

I never saw the match today, but reading most of the comments it looks like the Ayr manager, Lee Bullen, had a plan B, to get his team back in contention, while Billy Dodds is again found wanting and is unable to counteract the change in our opponents tactics. A very disappointing drop of two points, especially after the great start we had. In my opinion, I think Billy Dodds brief at the start of the season was to get ICT into the playoffs, and barring some catastrophic swing of results he has achieved that. We had a chance of going for second, but I think that has gone now, so we must try and finish as high as possible, as there is a difference in prize money ( I don't know the amounts ), between third and fourth. 

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic