Inverness CT -V- Kilmarnock - Preview

tm4tj

What an enjoyable Friday evening.

Two highlights: coming from behind to win and silencing the large, noisy away crowd.

It was great to be in the stadium with a decent crowd, a bit like the old days. Both sets of fans were making themselves heard, even those in the main stand.

Killie were the better team in the first half and I was happy it was 0-0 at the break, although we did have a few chances, notably Chalmers shot and Mckay was nearly in.

The goal we lost looked like sloppy defending to me but I’d need to see it again.

Dodds made good substitutions, which showed the value of Carson in midfield and after we equalised there was only one likely winner and up stepped Chalmers to get us the three points.

I feel we deserved the win, and it is good to be in the play offs, but I feel this season is a missed opportunity. If it was not for that 11 game winless run we could, possibly should, have been looking at automatic promotion.

Now we need to focus on finishing third and performing as well as we did in the last 30 minutes tonight. If we can do that, we need not fear any team in the play offs.

Killie were troubling us early on, but we seemed to work out how to neutralise them and, other than their goal, we were not troubled in the second half.

Bring on the play offs. Who knows what could happen!!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

I really enjoyed that game especially the second half where we kept the team spirit up after loosing a goal and the way they kept pushing after getting our first goal and earning a well deserved second.  Good subs from Dodds and well done to the team :clapping::clapping:

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

The goal we lost looked like sloppy defending to me but I’d need to see it again.

It came from a poor back-header from Broadfoot, he looked slightly off balance at the time, but I’m not even sure what he was trying to do.

22 minutes ago, jed5697 said:

Aye and Chalmers to add the finishing touch 😃😃😃

Is there any chance we could sign him in the summer?

He’s getting game time and is thriving on it. That’s now four goals in recent weeks. 

Edited by Robert

13 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

It came from a poor back-header from Broadfoot, he looked slightly off balance at the time, but I’m not even sure what he was trying to do.

Pundits on Sportscene thought he was trying to head it back to Ridgers but got it all wrong, he really should have lumped it forward.

I must say this though: I'm happy we aren't a club that sack managers quickly because it would have been easy to sack him after all the cries for change, hopefully he gets support from now on as it is mission number 1 accomplished and with 3 games left.

Oh and did I see Tokely in the dugout :O, I'm about 95% certain it was him keeping Samuels watered before a corner lol.

• Funny 2

Whoop de dooooo. We beat the league leaders 2-1. Sorry if I 'm not jumping the height o myself but this game should've been a league decider! If it wasn't for the 12 game without-a-win run we'd be comfortably top the league.  So apologies if am not high five fist bumping everyone. I can't help but feel we've totally ****** up this campaign!

Edited by RednBlackComeback

The best atmosphere at a game in 5 years. 

The killie fans helped build a great atmosphere and caley thistle played brilliant football.

Who was the man of the match? Hard to say Shane bullying their back line, Defence playing well. 

Or just the most game changing 20 minutes from Doran and Carson?

We will not lose again thus season. 

We are going up. 

Screenshot_20220321-072207_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Is there any chance we could sign him in the summer?

He’s getting game time and is thriving on it. That’s now four goals in recent weeks. 

I think that would only be a possibility if we are promoted.

Even then, Dundee United would probably want to hang on to a player with such obvious potential.

3 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

The best atmosphere at a game in 5 years. 

The killie fans helped build a great atmosphere and caley thistle played brilliant football.

Who was the man of the match? Hard to say Shane bullying their back line, Defence playing well. 

Or just the most game changing 20 minutes from Doran and Carson?

We will not lose again thus season. 

We are going up. 

Screenshot_20220321-072207_Gallery.jpg

Hopefully,

Even better atmospheres to come for what, on last night's display, should be 3 home play off games.

If the rules permit, I would be inclined to heavily discount the admission prices for income we have not budgeted for to get as many in as possible and have the place jumping.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Reflecting on last night's game, two thoughts come to mind; Carson must start and we need to wear the pink strip every game between now and the end of the season.

As long as Carson isn't starting at full back, everything he gives us going forward is nullified when he gets posted missing on regular occasions in defence.

Last night's starting eleven was a good solid formation from which to build quickly from the breakdown which we did several times, only a few loose passes from defence spoiled it.

I'm not sure the substitutions would have been made with whom and when if we hadn't gifted Kilmarnock the lead. 

• Agree 1

It’s curious, and frustrating that we have an impressive 3 wins and 9 points against the strongest team in the league, but only 5 points from Ayr and Dunfermline, sides flirting with relegation, and only 1 point so far from Hamilton.

11 hours ago, RednBlackComeback said:

Whoop de dooooo. We beat the league leaders 2-1. Sorry if I 'm not jumping the height o myself but this game should've been a league decider! If it wasn't for the 12 game without-a-win run we'd be comfortably top the league.  So apologies if am not high five fist bumping everyone. I can't help but feel we've totally ****** up this campaign!

The mid season slump was hugely disappointing and deeply frustrating but we have come through it and are now playing some very decent football and showing the short of character that was posted missing for too long.

Personally, I would have settled for reaching the play offs when the season kicked off and, if we can continue to build on the momentum we are now building up this could still end up being a season to remember mostly for the right reasons.

• Agree 1

What a result!  Was always going to be a tough match, but to win like that after going one Nil down was hugely impressive, helpful that Carson came on and played like the Carson of old in midfield.

Their goal seemed to come from Broadfoot being wrong footed and off balance, which was a shame because our defence was pretty good.

Shane Sutherland seemed to be rather nullified operating on the right, and much as I like Duffy [as a CB] I'm not sure he's fast enough as a RB, although he went forward well.

Samuels impressed me a fair bit in the second half, was much more involved and had two dangerous chances, I think there is defo a player there. Likewise Chalmers probably the MoTM for me although BBC Scotland gave it top McKay.

We were a bit quiet in midfield until Carson came on, but maybe Kilmarnock were set up better.

The non-winning slump over Jan/Feb has obviously cost us automatic promotion, but we seem to have everyone back fit now bar Allardice....probably hard to over-estimate the effect of not have him, MacGregor and and off-form Carson in the team, whilst trying to bed in 4 new boys.

Can we catch Arbroath?? Could be the difference between going all the way of not in the play-offs [Partick are a bit of a bogey team for us].... I feel we have a strong enough defence, and enough attacking assets, and still think Doran and Walsh have big parts to play

We need to play as many of our Play-off games in the pink strip, it feels lucky.

Starying to think about coming up for a play-off game....away to Partick a possibility

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I must say this though: I'm happy we aren't a club that sack managers quickly because it would have been easy to sack him after all the cries for change, hopefully he gets support from now on as it is mission number 1 accomplished and with 3 games left.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:44 AM, CaleyTennis said:

When is enough, enough you ask?

A simple one word answer to that is, NOW!

Any other club would have sacked the dud by now but ours are to patient, it's pathetic tbh, it's time they stopped hiding and answered us ffs as I'm getting very angry at their lack of leadership!

Oh and it doesn't help when Charlie Bannerman is arguing with me on FB about demanding (and that's what I'm doing, DEMANDING) a change of manager! It's about time these pundits etc (such as Michael Stewart and Leanne Crichton)stopped backing or defending HIM due to being a former colleague, he rightly needs SLATING!!

• Funny 1

Arbroath winning today makes it all but impossible for us to catch them for second place, they might even beat Kilmarnock to the title.

Partick's defeat to Raith Rovers puts us firmly in the driving seat for third.

In these circumstances, should we now be thinking of resting a few for the final 3 league games so that we are fresher for what could be half a dozen challenging play off matches?

6 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Arbroath winning today makes it all but impossible for us to catch them for second place, they might even beat Kilmarnock to the title.

In these circumstances, should we now be thinking of resting a few for the final 3 league games so that we are fresher for what could be half a dozen challenging play off matches?

I say, I posted in 'The Run In' topic Rd this as I thought that was more suitable?

Yes, rest some if we beat QotS would be a thoroughly cracking idea. 

48 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Let’s focus on winning on Tuesday to secure third , but It is a good opportunity the. to give game time to players who have not featured much recently but who could be needed in the play offs. MacGregor, Walsh and Harper spring to mind.

What is the situation regarding suspensions? Deas in particular has been booked a lot but hasn’t had a suspension yet. How close are he and others like Carson and Devine to picking up bans?

• tm4tj unpinned this topic