Big Stew

Scotty

IVS2004_028.jpgIt is with heartbreak and sorrow that I must announce the passing of well-known ICT supporter, my great friend for many years, and the best man at my wedding Stewart Anderson.

Stewart, his brother Ross, another friend Calum, and I sat directly above the tunnel from the second season of ICT at the Caledonian Stadium and even if you didn’t know him, you likely knew of him or encountered him. It will always be an unforgettable sight to have seen the big man in full swing shouting “encouragement” to opposition players, managers, and referees!  IMG_2400.JPGThose tickets changed hands over the years as paths crossed and uncrossed or personal circumstances changed, but always within people who were a part of that group with Stewart at or near the centre. 

The banter and ‘encouragement’ on a Saturday afternoon were all just football. Away from the stadium, Stewart was the proverbial gentle giant, a 6’5” teddy bear dedicated to family and friends who was also hardworking and conscientious. He would never knowingly do you any wrong and would give you the shirt off his back to help you if needed. 

Innes6.jpg.a3588d8309cdbde8b54f3154f7e14107.jpgI had the privilege to know Stewart for nearly 30 years. It started through football but transcended into far more areas of our lives. Stewart became a close friend before I moved to Canada, and when I did, he was the best man at my wedding, his dad Blair was our piper, and his mum Mary and brother Allan were also in attendance. He gave a speech at the reception that made even the ministers blush (we had two ministers – a husband and wife team from Nova Scotia who were very broad minded). I think I still have the handcuffs and blow-up sheep somewhere! 

IMG_2997.JPGOver the years we had some memorable times in Scotland at ICT games both home and away, starting or ending in either the Caley Inn or the Innes Bar. He came to Toronto a couple of times after the wedding and we had a fun time travelling through the Rockies from Vancouver to Edmonton, then to Calgary and back to Toronto. Another time he came to Toronto then with us to Cuba where he celebrated mine and my wife’s 5th anniversary in style, looking and feeling equally happy as he relaxed with a Pina Colada and a Cuban cigar at the beach in Varadero or sipping a Mojito in Hemingway’s bar in Havana. He also came with me to a couple of Toronto FC games that year and managed to get an entire pub singing “Bridge and Castle”! (see video). He made friends here in Toronto who still ask for him after all this time. Friends who I will now have to break this tragic news to and who will feel the pain like everyone else.  

Stewart was a bit of a technophobe, who just about managed to work his way around Facebook, so you won’t find him as a previous poster on the site. However, you will find many on here who knew the big man, respected, and loved him, and will miss him dearly. 

IMG_9200.JPGI am seldom lost for words, and even though I have a thousand stories I could relay about fun and crazy times with the big man, I am honestly and truly at a loss for more to say right now other than that I am thinking of his parents Blair and Mary and his siblings Blair, Ross, and Alan. I offer them my sincere and heartfelt condolences which I know will barely make any dent in their loss, but hopefully at some point, they can take comfort in knowing that my feelings are reciprocated across thousands of people whose lives Stewart has touched over the years whether from his travels, work, family, or football and every one of us sings the same song about his warmth and generosity. 

To Stewart, what else can I say but ‘Jeezo Big Man - Rest in Peace. I love you. I cherish all the happy memories we had together. I even cherish the times we disagreed. It made our friendship stronger, and you truly were the best man, not just my best man. You were one of a kind and I will miss you dearly.

I and many others in several countries will raise a ‘peedy’ to your memory and look back on your life with great pride to have known you and been a part of it.  Rest in Peace my friend.   //Scott. 

HP_10Y_12Y_GLASS_SIMPLIFIED.jpg

• Like 17

I am so sorry to hear this. Condolences Scotty and thank you for posting the heartfelt and touching tribute.

I am one of those who didn't really know him but certainly knew off him with my own seat in the main stand not so very far away and certainly within earshot !

I will raise a wee single malt in fond memory this evening.

Edited by Kingsmills

Such sad news Scotty.

That's a wonderful tribute to a larger than life character who will be missed by many. Always great craic with Big Stew in the Innes pre-match over the years. Sadly that will be no more.

I'll certainly raise a glass or two in your memory big boy. Rest in Peace x

At last night’s game, his scarf was laid across his seat. A very poignant moment for all involved. 
Thank You ICT for winning on his behalf!

5295F72A-9601-4958-A731-0B0920C2145A.jpeg

• Like 7

I was absolutely shocked to hear of his passing. Can't believe it. What a wonderful gentle giant he was. So many laughs with the big man, so many happy memories. The Caley Inn, the Innes Bar, the stories, the peedys, broken chairs and tile toasties. We still love you 'big man' and will keep memories alive for many many years. Sincere and heartfelt condolences to all his family and friends. R.I.P you absolute legend of a man.

• Like 2
  • Well Said 1

Lovely words Scotty. I had heard. Stew was an institution and, like everyone has said, was  friendly, kind and generous of heart. When Wanderer and myself started pitching up at the Caley Inn he was one of the first to "break the ice " and welcome us into the fold......wow, quarter of a century ago!......and when you opened the door at the Innes and saw Stew and the crew you knew you were in the right place. The scarf draped across the seat is so poignant. So sorry for your loss Scotty .....if I close my eyes and think of the Innes , Stew will always be there. 

• Well Said 1

One of life's greats, and the most gentlest of giants.

Totally gutted when I heard the news, and I extend my condolences to everyone who knew him, especially the Caley Inn Crew who were perhaps closest to him and most certainly a second family.

His towering figure. His laugh. His humour. Just him. He's going to be missed be many. Heartbreaking.

Rest easy big man 💔

My Pics 1243.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-210909_Messenger.jpg

• Like 2

D Chisholm & Sons

ANDERSON
Inverness
Suddenly at home on 13 April 2022, Stewart Allan Anderson, aged 52 years, Kenneth Street, Inverness.  Stewart will be remembered by his parents, wife, step daughters, brothers and all his extended family, friends and colleagues.  Funeral Service on Tuesday 3 May 2022 at 2pm in Inverness Crematorium. All welcome to attend. No flowers please. Donations if desired in memory of Stewart towards Sense Scotland may be given at the door.

• Thank You 1

Standing room only today, a testament in itself to the Big Man's character who touched so many.

RIP Big Stew, I'll have a dram or two for you and let's see if we can beat Partick tonight for you.

• Like 2
  • Well Said 1

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Standing room only today, a testament in itself to the Big Man's character who touched so many.

RIP Big Stew, I'll have a dram or two for you and let's see if we can beat Partick tonight for you.

Missed you :( 

beautiful service, and a testament to the big man’s character that so many attended.  

• Like 2

A tremendous send off to a wonderful man. So glad we were able to attend and pay our respects. We'll be at the match tonight Big Man remembrring you with a dram in the Innes beforehand.

• Like 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic