Morton -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

5 minutes ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say, a bronze medal 🥉 being the worst we can get this season.

Not exactly the Scottish Cup, but remember, Lewis Horner is back with us next season 😉 

He’s been without a club since last May. Are you at the wind up or is this for real?

Well that was no classic, but job done and 3 points.Concerned that this level of performance will not be good enough for play offs.We really needed a second goal.At least I can grow my nails soon, as watching ICT when 1-0 up can be nerve wracking as I waited for the self induced mistake and equaliser.Thankfully it never came. We need to really tighten up at the back at times and stop giving away soft free kicks in dangerous areas.

Well done for the win

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Agree 1

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
QotS relegated - Cove Rangers promoted
1. Kilmarnock 35 20 6 9 49 26 66
2. Arbroath 35 16 14 5 51 28 62
3. Inverness CT 35 15 11 9 49 34 56
4. Partick Thistle 35 14 10 11 45 37 52
5. Raith Rovers 35 12 13 10 43 43 49
6. Hamilton Ac. 35 10 12 13 38 49 42
7. Morton 35 9 13 13 36 44 40
8. Ayr United 35 8 12 15 36 51 36
9. Dunfermline 35 7 14 14 35 51 35
10. Q.O.S. 35 7 9 19 34 53 30

***Dates for your diary***

CINCH PREMIERSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 3
Quarter-final, 1st leg 
Partick Thistle v Inverness CT
Live on BBC Scotland, kick-off 7.05pm

Friday May 6
Quarter-final, 2nd leg
Inverness CT v Partick Thistle
Live on BBC Scotland, kick-off 7.45pm

• Like 1

One thing about that league table and the gap between us and Arbroath is that we aren’t sitting here pondering any particular game, chance, error or incident, as it wouldn’t have made any difference to our league position. In most seasons an extra point or 3 would be significant.

Defensively solid for the most part but we didn't create too much of note and when we did we were wasteful. Hard to see how we have enough quality to go up over the course of the next 6 games (in the playoffs). That said Arbroath look to be running on fumes and we've turned up against Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers so maybe we could sneak through but performances like today don't give me too much confidence.

Duffy did well at CB and it was good to see Roddy get the full 90 minutes after being out for so long. But too many others were just okay and no more. We need to perform a lot better if we want to have any chance of promotion.

5 hours ago, Robert said:

He’s been without a club since last May. Are you at the wind up or is this for real?

I say, the chap I spoke to before the Ayr game said he was Lewis Horner. But come to think of it he did look a bit like John Darwin. They both have similar accents. Would hate to think I was duped. 🥺

Well as has been stated in other posts this was not exactly in the spectacle category but it was a grand day out as the sun beamed down on Costa Del Greenock and the vociferous band of Invernessians congregated in  the beach bar known as the Norseman and did not stop carousing until getting back on their transportation back to the big City. That bunch outsung the locals whereas the team only prospered by a single goal victory although the final margin really should have been more. Played some pretty patterns at times but slightly spoiled by the final ball or the final attempt on goal. The possession ratio of 54 / 46 % in our favour would have been greater if we had not settled for the 1-0 win with 15 minutes to go. That is my only real criticism of Dodds as I certainly cringed at the "defend at all costs" attitude when a second goal was clearly on the cards. Our defence who had looked solid and rarely tested looked nervous and that fed on to the following support. Taking the ball into the corner with 2-3 minutes to got was a tad embarrasing. Still all is well that ends well.

RIDGERS ****  Clearly ouf Numero Uno. He just appears to bring that extra confidence to those in front of him.

CARSON ***  Well I have said it before but I still do not think that he is a full back. Gives 100% but prones to mistakes although thankfully only a few minor flaws at Cappielow.

DUFFY ***  Did well in central defence although he did appear to be getting a fair amount of "help" from his more experienced partner.

BROADFOOT ****  I often feel that he does not get the credit that he deserves. He may amble and look "slow" at times but his reading of the game is considerably more developed that any other pinkster.

DEAS *** Dose the job at full back but always looks more settled as a centre back. Height also adds to our defensive prowess.

WELSH  *** Must have been looking to take over the leading position in regard to the timing of a yellow card. The tackle did not look over the top but the referee could have been swayed by the Morton appeals. Did his usual midfield maestro job thereafter.

McAlear ***  I have been impressed by him previously but I suppose that we all have bad days at the office. Made numerous mistakes, especially in the second half, thankfully most in an attacking sense.

DORAN ****  What a shame that he looks as if his season is over. Very impressive in the first 45 and looked the most likely to set up a goal. Looked like a groin strain unless he had an embarrasing itch.

MCGREGOR **** I proudly joined into the "He's one of our own" chant that resounded around Cappielow. He understandably tired in the end but lasted the 90. He just brings that extra energy and fizz so Welcome Back Roddy.

Mckay *** Always a threat and suffered by being the lone forward - although the hoof tactic was rarely utilised as Billy had the guile of a more football playing midfield providing the ammo. He was often left 2-1 or 3-1 although he will probably be the first to admit that he should have got himself on the score card.

SAMUELS ***  Again had a bad day at the office. I was not sure exactly what his role was and I suspect that he didnt either.

As fer the substitutions WALSH evidently came on earlier than expected. Unfortunately he needs a "confidence transplant". There were times that the Walsh of old would have driven forward but lets hope that he is refreshed for the play-offs. HARPER impressed in his 25 minutes. He simply provided the width on the left that was sadly missing beforehand.

So it was another lovely Away Day - from the refurbished Horseshoe to the delapidated Norseman to the Paisley Piazza, enjoyed with Govan Jaggie and GJ junior. And nobody from the Greenock gangland came anywhere near the Senior Citizen Crew. 🤣

glesga.jpg

norseman.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic