Hamilton Match

No Shin Guards

I'm thinking a line up of

Mackay

Nicholson  Duffy  Devine  Harper

MacGregor  Hyde  McAlear  Walsh

Samuels  Riddle

We have to protect Deas with his yellow cards and Broadhurst coz of his age, so Devine gets to manage the backline. Mckay, Sutherland and Chalmers are our best attacking assets. Welsh has a crucial role to play and has yet to be severely crocked this season, lets avoid that. Doran obvs no chance, was he taken off as a precaution Saturday because he will be useful if we can get some minutes out of him maybe if we get past Partick

Not sure if Nicholson is a RB, but would be nice to have the option as Carson is better for us in midfield, and Duffy definitely better at CB

Harper MacGregor and Walsh will all benefit from game time

We could start Joe Hardy up front, but I'm not sure he adds much

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 1

Lewis Nicolson is a left back. For some reason, after a few appearances (and a goal) off the bench, he’s not featured even when we’ve been short handed.

Riddle may not be available to us having been on loan at Fort William for the last two months.

Hyde can play right back so is an option, and if Fyfe is available to us after his loan, he is a centre half.

I’d rest McAlear too if we can, as his form has shaded a bit in recent weeks.

Hopefully we do get a decent crowd.

When are the player of the year votes taking place?

We are getting confident. As our performances for months have been hit and miss would it not be better to achieve some consistency and get a chance to start off with the makings of the first choice selection and system ?? I bet there are not many players asking to be rested??

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Lewis Nicolson is a left back. For some reason, after a few appearances (and a goal) off the bench, he’s not featured even when we’ve been short handed.

He returned to Clach on loan for the season I believe.

Edited by SteveA

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

We are getting confident. As our performances for months have been hit and miss would it not be better to achieve some consistency and get a chance to start off with the makings of the first choice selection and system ?? I bet there are not many players asking to be rested??

Spot on IHE we should only be resting players if they are not fully fit.  There will be plenty of time to bring on a few subs in the second half as it will be the usual tough game against Hamilton.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

All senior players should be rested and do PR duties with kids & fans.

Club should be giving tickets away for free to schools/community groups etc since its a total dead rubber and place will be dead otherwise.

It's not a totally dead rubber.  If we beat Hamilton and Morton win at Arbroath, then Morton will overtake Hamilton.  We therefore have a responsibility to field a competitive side.  We shouldn't be risking players carrying knocks though, but any players coning into the side should be told they are playing for a place in the side.  We should be looking to win this.

• Thoughtful 1

9 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

All senior players should be rested and do PR duties with kids & fans.

Club should be giving tickets away for free to schools/community groups etc since its a total dead rubber and place will be dead otherwise.

I say, excellent idea. Welsh selling half time draw tickets prd match. Ridgers in the tea hut serving me my pie and bovril. Broadfoot in the portacabin toilets handing out paper towels and offering some aftershave (Old Spice) for £1 a splash. Can't wait!! 

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

It's not a totally dead rubber.  If we beat Hamilton and Morton win at Arbroath, then Morton will overtake Hamilton.  We therefore have a responsibility to field a competitive side.

You sending that same comment to Dick Campbell too so he's not resting his key men in his dead rubber game too!!!

Edited by bdu98196
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say, excellent idea. Welsh selling half time draw tickets prd match. Ridgers in the tea hut serving me my pie and bovril. Broadfoot in the portacabin toilets handing out paper towels and offering some aftershave (Old Spice) for £1 a splash. Can't wait!! 

Suppose if knowing big kirk is in the toilet watching over is something you'd like then I suppose the club has to cater for all kinds,but I was thinking a bit more along the photos, autographs and general bit of banter with the families and some kids who might enjoy the chance to be around their idols. But each to their own.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

You sending that same comment to Dick Campbell too so he's not resting his key men in his dead rubber game too!!!

I agree. We need at this stage to be doing what is best for our club and it's prospects of promotion.

Our only obligation is to field a team and fulfill the fixture.

• Well Said 1

16 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

My only problem with that is that the squad is quite used to a certain amount of rotation, so not really a problem, but if we lost say Deas, Broadfoot, Chalmers, Welsh, Mckay, Carson or Sutherland in a dead rubber game because of an injury, that would severely impact on the two most important games coming up. The likes of Walsh, Samuels, Duffy, Harper, Macgregor and McAlear would all benefit with the game time for different reasons, which will be beneficial in the play-offs. We do somewhat put Devine at risk I accept, but someone has to play!

Anyway I'm all booked up for Glasgow now, really looking forward to it

We could play Scott Kellacher, Barry Wilson or one of the 80 year old stewards we employ for all I care about this line up. Avoiding injuries to our regular starters is the only thing we should be looking to get from this match.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, bdu98196 said:

After Friday, Arbroath have 11 days until their next game so can afford not to rest players.

We have 4, then another one 3 days later, then hopefully just another 4 days until we play Arbroath. 

Edited by Robert
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Robert said:

After Friday, Arbroath have 11 days until their next game so can afford not to rest players.

We have 4, then another one 3 days later, then hopefully just another 4 days until we play Arbroath. 

You do realise that any yellow cards or reds (from regular league season)count towards suspensions carried into the play-offs, and while there may be 11 days, the idea of getting your best players un-necessarily injured (where they may be out for more than 11 days) is mental talk.

• Confused 1

After tomorrow's game all the talk of resting or rotating becomes irrelevant as the fixtures are coming thick and fast, the competitiveness of the play offs  will likely result in a few more cards and the odd injury or strain as well.

Best we can do is hope for the best and the players can do what they are paid to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

You do realise that any yellow cards or reds (from regular league season)count towards suspensions carried into the play-offs, and while there may be 11 days, the idea of getting your best players un-necessarily injured (where they may be out for more than 11 days) is mental talk.

I actually did advocate not taking any chances tomorrow night further up the thread but was highlighting that Arbroath, in comparison, will be well rested when their next game comes round whereas whoever they face (hopefully us) will have played two games in that time.

I agree fully with Satan’s comments and just hope we do have games thick and fast after tomorrow’s. 

Edited by Robert