Partick Thistle -V- Inverness CT - Play Off 2nd Leg - Preview

tm4tj

Just saw a Tweet from journalist Andrew Henderson saying Tom Walsh left the stadium in crutches :( so that probably means Doran will replace him if fit otherwise we'll start with the midfield we finished the match with tonight. 

Hopefully Billy goes attack minded into Friday then sits back if we go a goal up but tbh, he's got it spot on for a while now so let's trust the man eh :P.

14 hours ago, Robert said:

Allardice is back in the squad and on the bench tonight.

Strong team, but we need to handle Graham and Tiffoney better than we did in the 3-3 draw.

Ridgers

Carson Broadfoot Devine Deas

Walsh Welsh McAlear Chalmers

Mckay Sutherland

with MacKay, Harper, Allardice, Samuels, Hardy and Hyde on the bench.

No sign of Doran or Duffy.

Sutherland played on the right wing and Walsh, whilst he was on, operated behind Mckay. After he went off McAlear played as the 10 with Hyde alongside Welsh. We only went 442 when Samuels came on.

We started really brightly but the Walsh injury seemed to knock us off our stride and we resorted to the typical hoofball that led to us going 11 games without a win. We probably edged possession without doing too much with it and always looked shaky at the back for long periods of time. Only when Samuels came on and we attacked the Thistle full backs did things seemingly turn back in our favour. Deas seemed to be getting forward a lot more than usual and even Carson seemed to be overlapping Sutherland a lot more in the first half. We really had Thistle pinned back. But with Walsh going off McAlear didn't offer much when pressed further forward and Akinola ate up every high ball battered towards Mckay before we actually tried to stretch the play by using our wide men / full backs on the flanks.

Sutherland was very good again and took his chance well before that peach of a cross for the winner. Holt and Akinola seemed to be playing really high up and left a lot of space between them and Sneddon which I guess is why Samuels was sent on. I am not convinced about him but if you want anything from the guy he needs space to run into and last night was that kind of game to be effective.

Deas was absolutely superb and Carson, despite his incredible brain fart that should have cost us a goal, handled Tiffoney well. If Partick couldn't get the ball to him there seemed to be little else they had in their locker.

Whilst I am delighted to come back and get the win the tie is far from over and we need to perform like we did in the first 15 minutes for the full 90 on Friday if we want to go through.

• Agree 4

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Samuels could be a really good signing. I was very impressed with him against Kilmarnock, where he proved a decent physical match for Ash Taylor and he has pace to burn. He's clearly not a winger - we learnt that from the games at Hamilton and Partick earlier in the season. But I think with a run of games he could do really well. Obviously Sutherland's wonderful cross was the main factor in the goal but Samuels' instincts to attack that area of the boss, to get the jump on Akinola, were very encouraging.

• Agree 3

We have managed to get ourselves into a strong position ahead of Friday's game, with a bit more football played on a much better pitch we should have enough to finish them off.

A strong start and calm heads required, they will come at us hard, dont give them anything to get excited about...we should be able to pick them off and win the tie by a couple of goals at least.

• Like 1

So what did you think Dodds was doing when he took off Chalmers and Mckay and put on Harper and Hardy?

I reckoned that, having just equalised, he was settling for the draw, and saving two of his key players for Friday, protecting them from both the pitch and from Partick.

Didn't quite work out that way .... :lol:

• Agree 1

Mckay and Chalmers, especially the latter, looked absolutely burst. He had also been booked and, I think, he had another foul afterwards which had the Partick players clamouring for a second yellow so perhaps this was also in Dodds' mind. Billy had been doing a power of running and was getting little change out of Akinola and Holt so a good chance to bring on fresh legs and try and keep the pressure on Partick IMO.

• Agree 3

Billy had run himself into the ground by then, and chalmers was on a very generous yellow card.

Hardy has done well coming on in both the matches at firhill, has a good touch and links the play quickly - we have opened them up down the middle a fair bit more when he has been on.

Despite his size he does cause problems.

• Agree 3

Back in London after my trip up...well worth it

Firstly the pitch was awful, could have cost us in injuries, goals conceded, bookings due to mistimed tackles, so getting through the game with a win was terrific, although gutting for Walsh who had looked bright

Second the support was magnificent, and some great songs, it reminded me of some of the great nights at Palace when the crowd are in full cry, awesome stuff.

Overall everybody did a great job over the 90+ minutes, although I could have done without the Carson backpass [I'm blaming the pitch]

Hardy did better than I expected when he came on, his reverse ball to Sutherland for the 2nd goal was great, terrific pass from Shane and great movement from Samuels [I have high hopes for him].

Generally speaking we were better in all departments, but the pitched levelled it a bit, and football can do funny things so the mantrea 'one game at a time' definitely rings true here

A real bonus to see Allardice on the subs bench, he looks pretty trim, MacGregor I'm assuming rested because of a slight knock or reaction, let's hope both get the opportunity to play against Arbroath if [IF] we finish the job on Friday.

Finally first time I have seen Hyde, he looks quite a 'tank' [in a strong way] another bonus from the academy

• Agree 3

Absolutely fantastic!!

Hope we can finish the job on Friday and move on to Arbroath which will be tougher than Partick. The Lichties always look organised and have a good shape.

We need to play along the ground a lot more : when we did we looked a lot more dangerous and had 2 or 3 great moves when we did.

• Agree 2

• tm4tj changed the title to Partick Thistle -V- Inverness CT - Play Off 2nd Leg - Preview
9 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

PREVIEW FOR RETURN LEG

Maybe just keep this topic open for both legs

Another display like Tuesday but on a better pitch and with Carson, Broadfoot and Ridgers making fewer mistakes and we will be fine.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Another display like Tuesday but on a better pitch and with Carson, Broadfoot and Ridgers making fewer mistakes and we will be fine.

Yes I am looking forward to it with a good forecast should be a good night, get in there :ictscarf:

I noticed in the ICT Ticket information they have posted the following;

Roughly 50% of ticket fees, after some costs, are retained by the SPFL and therefore unfortunately, we cannot include this game in Season Tickets.

It's the SPFL that are making money from this and not the clubs which should be the case for reaching the playoffs.

I did not know this was the case.

I will be there to support the team regardless of where the money goes but it stinks!

3 minutes ago, IBM said:

I noticed in the ICT Ticket information they have posted the following;

Roughly 50% of ticket fees, after some costs, are retained by the SPFL and therefore unfortunately, we cannot include this game in Season Tickets.

It's the SPFL that are making money from this and not the clubs which should be the case for reaching the playoffs.

I did not know this was the case.

I will be there to support the team regardless of where the money goes but it stinks!

I say, they have to bleed everyone else dry for the 'good' of the two ugly sisters. 

8 minutes ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say, they have to bleed everyone else dry for the 'good' of the two ugly sisters. 

That seems to be the case.

57 minutes ago, IBM said:

That seems to be the case.

Actually, for once, it was the othrr way round stemming from when The Rangers were in the playoffs.

No confidence that this rule was introduced the week before their match at Ibtox.

Made sense then that a million pound + gate should be shared.

Makes far less sense now depriving clubs with very limited budgets of money hard earned and should be repealed.

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic