Partick Thistle -V- Inverness CT - Play Off 2nd Leg - Preview

tm4tj

I’m looking forward to tonight’s game, but the job is only half done and it could be a bumpy ride.

We’ve played Partick five times this season. One game finished goalless, but they have led in the other four, including taking the lead three times in the 3-3 draw a few months ago.

There have been 10 goals in the two home games against them.

The players will be up for it and I hope we start on the front foot and take the game to Partick, playing to our strengths. I don’t think we should set out to defend our slender advantage as that will be playing into Patrick’s hands.

The fans need to be behind the players throughout, even if we fall behind.

This game is ours for the taking. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As the loyal Calais supporters say 'this will be tres tricky'. I am sure the players will be mindful of how Manchester City were almost there ....but blew it.  Mindful that Partick might unusually be motivated by how Rangers recovered from 1-0 down.  It is critical that our supporters at no stage feed players the message that tonight will be easy. Expect Brian Graham to be hyperactive.  Partick are as likely as any team in this league capable of beating us. Some of us still remember being favourites to win our Scottish Cup Replay against Partick on 5th March 2002 only for Scot Paterson to score a superb winning free kick. We must not underestimate their paint pot kicking Manager's ability to beat the odds.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

As the loyal Calais supporters say 'this will be tres tricky'. I am sure the players will be mindful of how Manchester City were almost there ....but blew it.  Mindful that Partick might unusually be motivated by how Rangers recovered from 1-0 down.  It is critical that our supporters at no stage feed players the message that tonight will be easy. Expect Brian Graham to be hyperactive.  Partick are as likely as any team in this league capable of beating us. Some of us still remember being favourites to win our Scottish Cup Replay against Partick on 5th March 2002 only for Scot Paterson to score a superb winning free kick. We must not underestimate their paint pot kicking Manager's ability to beat the odds.

To be fair, I don't think that anyone associated with the club is taking victory in the tie for granted with the prevailing mantra being 'still work to be done' and the very good reason that there is indeed much work still to be done.

We rode our luck a bit, especially in the first half but thoroughly deserved to win the tie over both legs.

That's the job a third done. A well rested Arbroath will almost certainly be a tougher prospect and, should we overcome them, the Perth Saints tougher still.

We will have to up our game and cut out the heart in mouth defensive lapses but can definitely do this.

Time to think about the next round tomorrow but, for tonight, time to celebrate.

• Agree 2

What a great feeling around the club again at the moment. I just wish the crowds at these past two games was bigger, I guess that’s the down side of having them on tv.

I can’t help but think of all the abuse Dodds was getting earlier in the season. If I was told we would have finished 3rd and in the semi finals of the playoffs at the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off. 

Football fans are so fickle aren’t they? 

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

Not pretty, but job done!  Well done lads.  That was a game we probably would have lost a couple of months ago.

Roll on Arbroath.  They will be fresh having had a week off, but I hope our confidence level will compensate for that.  

Cracking goal from Samuels after being put through by Sutherland.  Lets hope they can keep this double act going next week.

• Agree 1

Two great goals from Samuels saw us through that tie. Hope he can do the same v Arbroath. He seems on a good streak right now, love the way he finishes. With him, Chalmers and Shane we have goals in this side. I fancy us against a deflated Arbroath. We are on a bit of a roll, 7 goals in three games.

• Agree 3

Job well done. It was so important that we got the early goal, as it took the onus of us having to defend our 18 yard box in the latter stages of the game. We still have this bad habit of just punting the ball up to out diminutive strikers for it to come straight back at us, we play our best football on the deck and when we pass the ball. Great goal from Samuels, and I thought Welsh, Sutherland and Carson were our standouts. It's a quick turnaround, but, as the old saying goes, players would rather play than train, so we have the momentum with us, so on to the next game, and same again please.

• Agree 2

Not the best of games but a great goal from Samuels that was enough to see us through.  All the players put in a good shift tonight and it was end to end.  Although it was on TV there was a good support and the young ones in the west stand made plenty noise. 

• Agree 1

Delighted to get through. Wasn’t a great game tonight but over 2 legs we certainly deserved to go through.

Partick will be frustrated that all 3 of our goals in the tie can be attributed to bad errors by them.

Need to up our game for Arbroath,  passing (and punting) like that won't get us through to the next tie. 

Docherty  ran the show in the second half,  unlucky to be on the losing side...wonder if he fancies a move north.

The club simply must get an enclosure over that west stand for the young team! It would amplify their noise and make such a difference to the atmosphere. They were great tonight. At times watching them was more entertaining than the match!❤️🖤💙

What happened to the enclosure that was in place before the north stand?

• Agree 1

I would say that we weren't at our best today, especially in terms of keeping the ball, but a win is a win :ictscarf:

The plus was that we kept a clean sheet and by the looks of things, no new injuries which is a positive. 

We'll need to play a bit better on Tuesday though so hopefully the players get refreshed then raring to go come kick off on Tuesday. 

I must agree that the singing section were immense tonight so keep it up guys :D.

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic