Premier Sports Cup 2022/23

Robert

9 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

We will need all of our energy next season for the league.

But also every penny. Getting out of the group stage and maybe landing a tie later on against either of the Old Firm or Aberdeen would be a boost in that regard.

As with most things, there is a balance to be struck.

• Like 2

I've never really understood the 'it's better that we're out of the cup so we can concentrate on the league' type of thinking. These guys are full time professional athletes, it really shouldn't be an issue.

If I recall the season we finished 3rd in the Premiership was when we won the Scottish Cup. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 2

19 hours ago, Fraz said:

I've never really understood the 'it's better that we're out of the cup so we can concentrate on the league' type of thinking. These guys are full time professional athletes, it really shouldn't be an issue.

If I recall the season we finished 3rd in the Premiership was when we won the Scottish Cup. 🤷‍♂️

And in 2004 we won the League and the Challenge Cup and took the Pars to a replay in the Semi of the Scottish.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

And in 2004 we won the League and the Challenge Cup and took the Pars to a replay in the Semi of the Scottish.

Due to family commitments, I couldn't make the semi final but did make the replay at Pittodrie and, when Paul Ritchie gave us an early lead, was, for about 20 minutes, convinced that we were on our way to our first ever major final.

Bit of a trudge back to the car that evening.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, Fraz said:

I totally agree Fraz.  We are in need of a cup run next season it is extra games to play but means more money for the club and if we get a decent run in any cup it brings more fans on board.

• Agree 4

• 1 month later...

Kelty drew 1-1 with Raith today so will be tough competition next Saturday.

I know we are treating the cup as a warm up for the league, but I hope we are aiming to win the group or, at least, be one of the top three runners ups, so we qualify for the knock out rounds.

To achieve that, we need to win at Kelty so I hope we play our strongest available starting eleven. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two away wins today with 10 man (again) Livi coming from behind to beat Cove 2-1 and Albion Rovers going to Kelty and winning 2-0, a bit of a surprise.

We can’t be complacent about Tuesday’s game against Albion as they’ve run Livi and Cove close before today’s win, but three points will have us in pole position to get out of the group. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Robert said:

Two away wins today with 10 man (again) Livi coming from behind to beat Cove 2-1 and Albion Rovers going to Kelty and winning 2-0, a bit of a surprise.

We can’t be complacent about Tuesday’s game against Albion as they’ve run Livi and Cove close before today’s win, but three points will have us in pole position to get out of the group. 

Winning against Albion Rovers would almost certainly qualify us as one of the best runners up. Winning the league would make us seeded which might not be financially useful unless we progressed further.  First things first, let us not blow it against a tigerish team like Albion Rovers. 

The seeded teams for the last 16 are the five clubs in Europe plus the three group winners with the best records.

The other five group winners plus the three runners up with the best records are unseeded.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

The seeded teams for the last 16 are the five clubs in Europe plus the three group winners with the best records.

The other five group winners plus the three runners up with the best records are unseeded.

That’s pretty unfair to be honest. Why is there seeding ? It ruins any chance of a smaller side getting far in this competition 

• Agree 5

9 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

That’s pretty unfair to be honest. Why is there seeding ? It ruins any chance of a smaller side getting far in this competition 

Yes it's all about protecting the big clubs by keeping them apart at the early stages which is not fair on the smaller clubs, should be a simple draw and if it is Celtic v Rangers that's a bonus for the other clubs.

• Agree 3

After tonight we are looking good to win the group but we could do with another three points against Cove on Saturday.  Providing we get through to the last 16 the club will get £50,000 and if we can progress from there a loosing quarter-finalist will get £80'000 which is a lot of money for our club which we have not had in recent years.  Any cup run is welcome as it is more games for our players and more money for the club.

• Agree 3

Hibs penalty loss to Morton has been changed to a 3-0 defeat after they were found guilty of playing a suspended player.

That’s at least three of the seven top league teams failing to get out of the group stages: Hibs, St Johnstone and St Mirren. 

Edited by Robert

It’s also 3 teams that I can recall that fielded ineligible players in this tournament, with Hibs, Elgin and Stranraer getting results overturned and financial penalties.

There must be dozens of examples of ineligible players since ICT were formed but as far as I can recall it’s not a mistake we have ever made, is that the case?

25 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

It’s also 3 teams that I can recall that fielded ineligible players in this tournament, with Hibs, Elgin and Stranraer getting results overturned and financial penalties.

There must be dozens of examples of ineligible players since ICT were formed but as far as I can recall it’s not a mistake we have ever made, is that the case?

Did it not happen to Hearts v Cove? Which resulted in Hearts only getting a 2 point deduction rather than 3. I might be wrong but if it was 3 points we might have progressed ?

34 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Did it not happen to Hearts v Cove? Which resulted in Hearts only getting a 2 point deduction rather than 3. I might be wrong but if it was 3 points we might have progressed ?

Yes you are right we would have won the group and gone through I think it was three years ago, double standards :swear: