Inverness CT -V- Arbroath - Play Off - Previews

tm4tj

5 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Same here. MoM. Then probably Sean Welsh. I know he's injury prone but he takes some hammering in midfield.

Hats off to Dick ****** Campbell, although it was fairly obvious what he would do. Press hard, get right in our faces and see if we could deal with it (how will you deal with it Doddsy?).  Run around for an hour, just like at Killie, see if they could get a lead to take back to Gayfield and then run out of steam and pray that was enough to see them through the last half hour. 

We don't have a Xavi or a Messi so our players constantly had  one eye on the opponent who was arriving to hit them hard and their touch let them down. Never seen so many misplaced passes in one ICT game. We should have taken at least one of those chances though. Arbroath are not pretty but they're good at what they do and we were drawn into that. Expect more of the same on Friday.

I sruggle to remember anyone successfully passing to one of our own players in the first 30 minutes.

We can't afford another half hour like that at Gayfield.

If we insist on the long aimless punt then I would push sutherland forward to try and win and retain some possession for billy to feed off. Really pissed off with what I saw last night. Even more pissed off with my wife arranging a bbq for next friday.... cant think of a way to get out of this and up to Arbroath.  Gayfield has always been one if my fav venues and it will be buzzing. Still think we have a good chance

11 minutes ago, Naelifts said:

If we insist on the long aimless punt then I would push sutherland forward to try and win and retain some possession for billy to feed off. Really pissed off with what I saw last night. Even more pissed off with my wife arranging a bbq for next friday.... cant think of a way to get out of this and up to Arbroath.  Gayfield has always been one if my fav venues and it will be buzzing. Still think we have a good chance

I say, who wears the trousers in your house? You clearly will be wearing the apron at the BBQ.  Whereas Kingsmill and I will be wearing our masculine pink shirts together at that time. 🧐

Edited by No Shin Guards
I say, Typo!!
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Thought Walsh was out for rest of season, but maybe that's a red herring Mantis.

Never tried those, but will need to be in Arbroath by 5.30 to get smokies for Mrs Mantis' Saturday lunch.

38 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Never tried those, but will need to be in Arbroath by 5.30 to get smokies for Mrs Mantis' Saturday lunch.

A brace of smokies and an away win.

A perfect afternoon/evening in Arbroath.

When it comes to smoked fish, smokies are so much nicer than kippers.

Although, with all due respect to Mrs Mantis, breakfast fodder for me rather than lunch, served with a runny poached egg  grilled tomato and hot buttered toast.

Edited by Kingsmills

58 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

A brace of smokies and an away win.

A perfect afternoon/evening in Arbroath.

When it comes to smoked fish, smokies are so much nicer than kippers.

Although, with all due respect to Mrs Mantis, breakfast fodder for me rather than lunch, served with a runny poached egg  grilled tomato and hot buttered toast.

Never mind breakfast you will have to treat No Shin Guards to his supper if he picks you up and takes you to Arbroath 🤣

• Funny 1

I’m not so sure Arbroath did run out of steam last night. They are very fit and the stat someone posted about their late goals does not suggest tiredness.

I think the wind suited them as it helped them come out flying at the start.

We had the wind advantage in the second and we were largely on top.

Let’s hope for calm conditions at Gayfield on Friday or, if not, we win the toss and have the wind behind us in the first half and get on the front foot from the first whistle and hopefully have enough to defend in the second half to see us through.

I don’t expect any changes in the starting line up and agree with those singling Devine out. I’ve lost count of the number of goal saving blocks and challenges he’s made this season. He is one of our underrated players. 

Edited by Robert

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Sadly, I have made prior arrangements 😁

6 hours ago, IBM said:

Never mind breakfast you will have to treat No Shin Guards to his supper if he picks you up and takes you to Arbroath 🤣

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Sadly, I have made prior arrangements 😁

The offer sounded a bit fishy to me anyway.

• Funny 2

• tm4tj changed the title to Inverness CT -V- Arbroath - Play Off - Previews
16 hours ago, Robert said:

I’m not so sure Arbroath did run out of steam last night. They are very fit and the stat someone posted about their late goals does not suggest tiredness.

I think the wind suited them as it helped them come out flying at the start.

We had the wind advantage in the second and we were largely on top.

Let’s hope for calm conditions at Gayfield on Friday or, if not, we win the toss and have the wind behind us in the first half and get on the front foot from the first whistle and hopefully have enough to defend in the second half to see us through.

I don’t expect any changes in the starting line up and agree with those singling Devine out. I’ve lost count of the number of goal saving blocks and challenges he’s made this season. He is one of our underrated players. 

Screenshot_20220512-101631.png

Was wondering if Joe Hardy might start the second leg instead of Billy. He struggled badly against the muscle of Arbroath with Joe being a little bit more robust. Billy might prove very effective coming on at about 70 minutes if we were still level and heading for extra time. Equally Aron starting instead of Shane might change things but allow Shane to come on maybe after 60 minutes. 

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Was wondering if Joe Hardy might start the second leg instead of Billy. He struggled badly against the muscle of Arbroath with Joe being a little bit more robust. Billy might prove very effective coming on at about 70 minutes if we were still level and heading for extra time. Equally Aron starting instead of Shane might change things but allow Shane to come on maybe after 60 minutes. 

As long as we don't persist on lumping big balls into Joe, as effective as tits evolving on fish 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Donald1973 said:

As long as we don't persist on lumping big balls into Joe, as effective as tits evolving on fish 

I say, I agree and as much use as wings on a Haggis.

Got to have the midfield bossing it and keeping the ball on the deck.

Not trying to hit every passing easyjet plane passing overhead like they seemed to be aiming for on Tuesday night. Eh what? 🧐 

Given the influence of Nicky Low, is it time to play three in the middle to tighten things up and ensure we are competitive?

It would mean a 4-3-3 / 4 5 1 type flexible formation so we would need to play with one up top but have the midfield needing to get up in support.

If Allardice is fit to start, I’d put him in alongside Welsh and McAlear with one of them playing deeper to support the defence and allow the full backs to push forward when the opportunity arises.

The problem is who drops out. Logically Mckay or Samuels so we keep the width of Chalmers and Sutherland. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

Given the influence of Nicky Low, is it time to play three in the middle to tighten things up and ensure we are competitive?

It would mean a 4-3-3 type formation so we would need to play with one up top but have the midfield needing to get up in support.

If Allardice is fit to start, I’d put him in alongside Welsh and McAlear with one of them playing deeper to support the defence and allow the full backs to push forward when the opportunity arises.

The problem is who drops out. Logically Mckay or Samuels so we keep the width of Chalmers and Sutherland. 

I think we need to mix it up a bit. Lining up with the obvious won't work imho. Therefore agree with above fully 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

41 minutes ago, Robert said:

It would mean a 4-3-3 type formation so we would need to play with one up top but have the midfield needing to get up in support.

19 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I think we need to mix it up a bit. Lining up with the obvious won't work imho. Therefore agree with above fully 

Yes I think you are both right we need to do something different but I don't think Billy Dodds will change it.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic