Inverness CT -V- Arbroath - Play Off - Previews

tm4tj

This pitch was rock hard, unwatered with 35mm grass if not longer, resulting in very poor football from both teams and greater than necessary injury risk. 

Arbroath were playing to their home advantage ,  but I am not in love with their idea of football or entertainment. They did not deserve to go through. 

Our sport scientists physios and coaches have a huge task ahead for us to be competitive on Friday.  

Trust the kids believe in Broadfoot and Ridgers, and hope we dont get Douglass Ross as part of the referees as he's the only pratt I like less than Willie colum. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

28 minutes ago, Moogthurso said:

Arbroath were playing to their home advantage ,  but I am not in love with their idea of football or entertainment. They did not deserve to go through. 

Totally agree. Still we got our own back on Tuesday's time wasting goalie towards the end of last nights game. Haha.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

40 minutes ago, Naelifts said:

Was looking to book stuff for Friday but just heard on the radio it is Thursday......better check.

Advertised everywhere as Friday, and I've just found it in the Sky Sports schedule for Friday.  I had assumed that it would be BBC.

Guess who doesn't have Sky.... :help:

Ever since the play offs were introduced I have always thought that if the sides were still level after the conclusion of the second leg the tie should go straight to a penalty shoot out.

The home team already have an advantage and an extra half hour of open play at their home ground in front of mainly their fans gives them a significant additional and unearned advantage.

Fatigued players are more susceptible to injury and the team prevailing in the end are at a further disadvantage over their next opponents who are probably better rested and will have the benefit of a home match in the decisive leg of the next round.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Moogthurso said:

Trust the kids believe in Broadfoot and Ridgers, and hope we dont get Douglass Ross as part of the referees as he's the only pratt I like less than Willie colum. 

We should be alright Douglas Ross is injured :wink:

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Advertised everywhere as Friday, and I've just found it in the Sky Sports schedule for Friday.  I had assumed that it would be BBC.

Guess who doesn't have Sky.... :help:

I believe that you can purchase a NOW TV day pass for under a tenner which gives you 24 hours access to SKY Sports.

• Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:33 AM, Robert said:

Now we need to go one better than the class of 2014 and win the final!

Shocking refereeing deprives us of Duffy and, subject to an appeal we should win, Devine for the first leg.

It looks like we have lost Sutherland too.

Somehow though I’m starting to think we may just do this. I’m scared to be optimistic but we have great team spirit and the feeling of wanting to overcome adversity may just get us through this.

Well done to all!

So Duffy would be available for the 2nd leg, but Devine might also be available for the 2nd leg? I hadn't realised that. If we win any appeal and Devine can play in the first leg, then things don't seem so bad. Sutherland is the big miss I reckon as, he is the most physical presence upfront, maybe McAlear will be pushed higher up, to help out, but we may need a third midfielder in the middle of the pitch.

20 hours ago, buckett said:

I think the elephant in the room, which very few seem to have noticed, is that we were embarrassingly poor and couldn't string more than 2 passes together. Arbroath were way better than us and adapted to the conditions extremely well. To say they were desperately unlucky is no exaggeration. Just hope we don't embarrass ourselves against St. Johnstone.

That said, I am absolutely delighted, and still can't quite believe that we prevailed. Perhaps in the next few days, if we could learn to string a few passes together, keep possession and keep the head, who knows what could happen. We do of course have history in defeating St. Johnstone to win promotion!

Yes it wasn't great watching, but Arbroath strung 5 across the middle, the wind was terrible, and the pitch didn't run true, so even passes on the deck were difficult, and several times the ball got stuck up and players legs ruining chances [for both sides]. Yes it was the same for both sides, but Arbroath will be used to playing there week after week, which probably explains their excellent home record. I did wonder why we didn't try playing out from the back from Ridgers, but would it only work if Arbroath went for a high press, and the way the ball was bobbling around probably not the best tactic. It also rather explained why Samuels come off at half time, as he was not going to get very much out of that pitch [and let's be fair his first touch ball control needs a bit more work]

Fortunately two good pitches to play on for the final, and St Johnstone will be a bit more open, which should help us.

15 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I believe that you can purchase a NOW TV day pass for under a tenner which gives you 24 hours access to SKY Sports.

Thanks, Kingmills.  I was looking at that yesterday, and as far as I could see, there are no strings attached - no other payments or subscriptions needed.  £5.99 yesterday and today, normally £11.99 - no problem since I've been paying £15 for ICT PPV.  My TV has the NOW TV app, and I have also installed their player on my PC.  Will give it a go early on Friday.

Alternatives are finding a pub (very easy in St Albans, the home of CAMRA) showing the game (not so easy), or inviting myself round to a mate's.  But then I would not be able to make use of the language that I was utilising on Friday, mostly directed at Willie Gollum  :redcard: :lol:

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve just been able to watch the game back tonight.

What guts it took to see us through that given the adversity we faced.

I was impressed by the spirit, teamwork and determination watching it at the ground on Friday, but even more so watching it back tonight.

Many teams would have crumbled given the adversity faced but our guys stuck together and encouraged each other through it.

True, we didn’t play a lot of football, but the ground conditions and wind had a hand in that.

I hope justice is (partly) done and we have Devine for Friday’s game.

We can still dream!!

• tm4tj unpinned this topic