Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone - Premiership Play-Off

tm4tj

There is no doubt that we were utterly abysmal in the first half and were very fortunate indeed to go in only the 2 goals down with our promotion hopes hanging by a thread rather than completely ended.

There is also no doubt that, by and large, the St Johnstone players are more talented and skillful than ours but they cannot come close to matching us for resilience and determination.

That was a Herculean effort in the second half and great credit must go the the manager for his half time substitutions and change of tactics.

Who can fail to mention Reece McAlear's two stunning goals. That free kick was positively Ronaldoesque. Special mention as well for Austen Samuels who, after a sticky start, is getting better and better and has played a huge part in getting us this far in the play offs.

Ordinarily, a draw would we a good result for the away team in a two legged tie but I am in no doubt at all who will be the happier group of players and coaches this evening.

I rember, half a lifetime ago, a Caley team coming from 2 goals down against St Johnstone to force a replay in Perth to which they brought over 3,000 fans. It would be great if we could match those numbers while avoiding the eventual outcome.

St Johnstone remain favourites to win the tie but our squad will be boosted by the return of at least 2 influential players and the confidence gained from turning the first leg around.

One more huge effort required but we can still do this !

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

When I saw the starting 11 I was doubtful without Samuel's and Chalmers.We were rubbish for the first half, no width and long high balls as usual to the two smallest players up front.Second half was totally different.Great subs,delighted to see Allardyce back as he calmed the team and showed experience.Two brilliant goals by McAleer. Well done ICT.Please don't start like that on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The first half we were farting against thunder!  Once Scott Allardice came on we were a much improved side pushing forward and looking dangerous and got two well deserved goals, the second a cracker:clapping:

The ref was decent and let the game flow, the stewards were good not chasing the kids away from the wall behind the goal and our home support was the best all season :ictscarf:

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

2 hours ago, CaleyCiuin said:

We are all over the place. This change of shape is not working.

Dodds admitted post match that he’d got the shape wrong (stating the bleeding obvious perhaps, but at least he didn’t make excuses)

• Agree 4

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but our first goal should not have stood. Played should’ve stopped for a head knock and also Samuels was offside (not 2 yards offside like Callum Davidson says, but a wee bit offside).

About time we got a wee bit of good fortune from the match officials.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

Winner takes it all Monday night and hopefully we take it all.  St Johnstone no doubt will feel confident but I am not convinced by them. If we can get our noses in front and get pressure on them who knows. You need a bit of luck and a fair wind but stranger things have happened...get intake them 😃

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

About time we got a wee bit of good fortune from the match officials.

After the shambles the last game you are right Yngwie :smile:

• Well Said 2

We were all astounded with the lineup and formation, it was mind boggling. We needed to give Rooney something to think about, but we let him have the run of the right wing in the first half, it was only when Chalmers came on that we gave him something to think about, and having Welsh, our best midfielder, playing in the back four, was a huge blunder by Dodds. But credit to Dodds and the players, we turned it around. First goal, Samuels was offside, but we played to the whistle and Macalear scored a great goal, and then he steps up and scores one of the best free kicks I have ever seen. For me, we must start the game on Monday with the team and formation that ended the match, with Devine coming back in for harper. Having Allardice and Welsh in the middle is a must now, and we mustn't be so passive. We could be 90 minutes from the top league, so let's believe, we know that if we put some pressure on them, they are there for the taking.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

We showed St Johnstone too much respect by changing our formation and going 3 5 2 to match them. It just didn’t work and credit to Dodds for admitting he got it wrong.

Going to 4 4 2 made us competitive and stopped St Johnstone outclassing and overrunning us and we got a foothold in the game and then, in my biased opinion, a deserved equaliser, and we came so close to sneaking a winner.

I’ve not watched it back so can’t comment on the offside but I was pleased the ref let the move continue when McCart went down and what a finish by McAlear. It’s nice to get the rub of the green after recent events.

As for the equaliser, what a strike by McAlear. He’d had a poor first half but that is forgiven.

I felt Allardice made a big difference when he came on. He added a calmness and always found a pass. Hopefully he is fit enough to start on Monday.

Samuels had a great 45 too.

What a mix of emotions we have as Caley Thistle fans. Outclassed and lucky to only be 2 down, but then getting back in it.

We’ve shown we don’t need to fear St Johnstone so time to kick on and overcome the odds once again on Monday.

I hope we take a big, noisy crowd down the A9.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

That was astonishing from Macalear. A fantastic shot into the roof of the net, and five minutes later a free kick which would grace any Champions League or World Cup game. Where do they summon up this amazing never-say-die attitude from? 

Samuels was outstanding in his running and creating of chances too. And I was delighted to see Allardice back, he can make an immense difference in the middle of the park.

I think we have our team sorted for Monday. If we can just resist the pressure they will put us under from the off, we can grow into the game as we did tonight and give them some real headaches. After thinking we were down and out of it at half time, quite amazing that we have a real chance in a cup final of a game that, once again, as underdogs we have nothing to lose by really going for it. As long as we can defend for our lives too. Bring it on.

We have sown the seeds of doubt in them now, let that sink in and gnaw at their self-belief over the weekend!

• Agree 5

It's only just sinking in that we are still in this tie. Abysmal first half had me wondering about going to perth on monday. What a turnaround. Good looking crowd too......anyone know. Popped into the Innes to catch up with some old faces but no one there that I knew. Shame. But what a night......another one from our great wee club. 

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic