Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone - Premiership Play-Off

tm4tj

See yous all in the Championship next season. The team did us proud and nobody can question their effort and determination. I doubt if any of us would have thought that we would be watching ICT on Sky in the Premiership Play Off Finals.

And to be irritating and honest Shaun Rooney is some player. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, forresjags said:

Some players have a subtle celebration when they score against their former club. Not Rooney, absolute no class.

I've never understood this way of thinking.  It's surely more disrespectful not celebrating for the club that you play for and pays your wages.

• Agree 3

Anyway. Not too be.  The first goal changed everything and the 2nd was heading to the Broxburn roundabout before the flukey deflection - that killed the game. You could see the exertions of the last few weeks catch up with the team.  Even then we had 3 chances with an absolute sitter for Aaron. 

The last goals were irrelevant as the team were dead on their feet. We just ran out of fit players. 

I think pretty much all of the team we would want to keep are contracted for next season bar the loanees Chalmers and Mcalear. If we can add a little bit of quality at full back and the wing as well as beef out the squad from the departures of Broadfoot, Duffy etc. we'll be right there for the title. 

Although we got further than I'd hoped when we started the playoffs, and the team can be very proud of how far they came, we really need to find a different way of winning next season. We need a target man, so we can change tactics when punting the ball up the park isn't being won by our small strikers. When we play on the deck with short fast passes, we usually create something, the long punt brings nothing, unless we can change it by bringing on a target man. So, it's another season in the championship, and it will be another season of building a team again, as a number of players will have played their last game for ICT.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

See yous all in the Championship next season. The team did us proud and nobody can question their effort and determination. I doubt if any of us would have thought that we would be watching ICT on Sky in the Premiership Play Off Finals.

And to be irritating and honest Shaun Rooney is some player. 

I have to agree about Rooney and the sad thing is we have never replaced him and that is why we have struggled the last few seasons.

A good effort tonight from the players after all the extra games.

• Like 1

We can be really proud of the team.  For a club with our budget to get so close to promotion is a fantastic achievement.  At one point in the season it looked as though we might even slip into the play-offs at the wrong end of the table, so the turnaround must give us hope for next season.  The turnaround has also brought in new supporters and hopefully the excitement of the latter part of the season will persuade them to attend regularly next year or become season ticket holders. 

We will be saying goodbye to several of the squad, but one thing this season has demonstrated yet again, is how good the club is in finding new players down on their luck who come up here and do really well.  I have every confidence that next season will see some new faces who will become key players in the push for promotion.  Obviously there will be a feeling of great disappointment tonight, but as i say, we can be really proud of the team and can look forward to next season with optimism.

• Agree 1

I thought we had a great first half, playing the better football and winning every single 50:50 ball. The fear was that we had failed to score, and sure enough the game quickly turned, the deflected strike then knocking the stuffing out of us, what a sickener.

We had no choice but to make changes as our players tired, but every substitution just made us weaker (except the arrival of Allardyce).

That was tough to take. I actually said at h-t that we'd played really well but might pay for not taking the chances. At h-t Davidson clearly reminded his players that a similar 45 might see them in the Championship. It was a great support from ICT, too.

Not sour grapes but we should just have promotion playoffs as in England, not a second chance for sides who deserve to be relegated.

• Agree 2

Felt we started the second half far too slow and let stj take the game to us, it looked like we hoped to save energy for the end but it got killed off with the first goal that really shouldn't have fell to May and the second that was about as lucky as they come 

Brilliant first half just a pity we couldn't start the second the way we ended the first 

Never mind its over now 

I'll say what I said on Facebook, on here as it is a fair point I make 😁

I believe that we have the nucleus of a good squad so if we can retain as much of them as possible and recruit well in the window then there's no reason to not be making an assault on the title and going head to head with Dundee.

It was good to hear John Robertson mention before the match that he's been down in England scouting but it's now time for the board to show ambition and start backing the gaffer in the transfer market because we need to get out of this bloody league soon, its been too long now but thus season proves that we aren't far away.

As has been said, we go again next season, its not long until the league cup so we don't have long to plan ahead :ictscarf:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Not sour grapes but we should just have promotion playoffs as in England, not a second chance for sides who deserve to be relegated.

Or possibly just one match in each round, at a neutral venue, not home and away.  Ridiculous to expect a team to come through six extra games at the end of the season.  Look at the injuries and suspensions that we picked up in them.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

That was tough to take. I actually said at h-t that we'd played really well but might pay for not taking the chances. At h-t Davidson clearly reminded his players that a similar 45 might see them in the Championship. It was a great support from ICT, too.

I actually quite like the format of the second last team from the upper division against 2,3 and 4. Don't forget our divisions are half the size of those in England and 20% being automatically relegated each year is probably too much.

However, there is no justification for the Premiership play offs having a different format from the other divisions other than sheer self interest.

I can also see merit in the final being a one off affair at a suitable neutral venue after a 2 legged semi final.

Well done to all the players, BD and all those behind the scenes. I just hope we have enough money to strengthen because next season will again be difficult to get promoted. Dundee ,Cove and Queens Park will have cash to splash so we will need to be at our best.

Hard to grumble much about the result. Saint Johnstone were clear and deserved winners over the two legs. Whilst we looked a lot better in the first half last night I'm struggling to remember too many good chances falling our way. Perhaps the header from Broadfoot (I think) which Clark tipped over. Apart from that I don't feel like we really troubled Saint Johnstone.

The opening 5 minutes of the second half just knocked the stuffing out of us. Horrendous marking for the opening goal and a cruel deflection for the second killed the game. Some of players were already on their knees at this point. When Welsh saw a shot blocked and Doran sclaffed one wide I knew that was game over. We simply had to take one of those chances to get back into the game and we didn't.

By the end we were going all out to get something, thumping long balls forward and leaving acres of space at the back which Saints ruthlessly exploited on the counter attack. 4 - 0 was really harsh I feel but, ultimately, Saint Johnstone deserved their win. We just didn't have enough left in the tank to do it.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

Horrendous marking for the opening goal

Made myself sit through the highlights and yes, Chalmers totally loses his man and allows a free header. Great cross in though.

Well, there it ends.

We were the better team in the first half but failed to capitalise on it by scoring. It is a bit of a cliche that you need to score whilst on top but true nevertheless.

We were two slow coming out of the blocks in the second half and, before we knew it, found ourselves 2 down and effectively out of it.

Those last 45 minutes of a very long season were just a bridge too far after a gruelling regular season peppered by injuries and other reasons for losing key players at vital times followed by the play offs which were even more gruelling and peppered by further injuries to vital players, suspension and absolutely horrendous refereeing failures.

I don't blame the players. In the circumstances they did remarkably well to get us as close as they did and can, to a man, leave the stage with their heads held high as can'ting the fans who to a man, woman, boy and girl were, once again absolutely magnificent. I struggle to remember when we had such loud, loyal and enthusiastic support.

As for the future, while we will be saying goodbye to a number, I believe that we have the nucleus of a squad capable of competing for promotion next season including a rapidly improving Austin Samuels and hopefully a fully fit and improving Roddy Macgregor.

We will need to add a few and bring in a couple fresh loanees but more recently Robbo has proved himself more adept at recruitment than when he was manager probably because that is now his main focus.

The one position I remain unsure of and in genuine doubt about is head coach.

Dodds will probably accept himself that he was appointed as the cheap and convenient option.

I was worried at the time that there was a reason why, despite a long and relatively successful coaching career, no club had sought fit to appoint him as manager in his iwn right.

I think those fears proved justified with long spells where he was like a rabbit in the headlights with no tactical awareness and no plan to make constructive changes when everyone else could clearly see that things were not working.

However, in fairness, towards the end of the season and particularly during the play offs he seemed to grow more into the role and things certainly improved in that regard.

For that reason, I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and retain him in place but on the very clear understanding that if we were not actively involved in the title race at Christmas then he would be replaced.

Once again great credit to our magnificent fans who once again sang their hearts out in Perth last night. It was a roller coaster but it was fun while it lasted.

Well that didnt work out too well. Great support, magnificent effort from the players......that first half was as good as I've seen them. It wasnt to be but very proud......again! No highlights on iplayer? Or anywhere else?

• tm4tj unpinned this topic