Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone - Premiership Play-Off

tm4tj

15 minutes ago, Naelifts said:

Well that didnt work out too well. Great support, magnificent effort from the players......that first half was as good as I've seen them. It wasnt to be but very proud......again! No highlights on iplayer? Or anywhere else?

The "highlights" are on YouTube. Needless to say I won't be watching them.

• Agree 2

A well done to everyone at the club for a good try at that playoff system; theres a reason nobody has done it yet. Never quite worked out although St Johnstone coming out the blocks after a half time roasting ought to have been obvious. They also get their bit of luck and then chasing it too late after all the games played; players injured etc But another learning process on the journey back to premier league football. Hopefully that journey can move quicker and more purposefully. A lot will depend on squad additions. Going up not ready would just result in what has happened to Dundee. This coming season everyone throughout the club can have no illusions about what it takes. They are going in the right direction and shall overcome with good support. Hopefully they can all get away on a nice relaxing holiday somewhere and come back fired up and ready to go again. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

16 minutes ago, forresjags said:

If nothing else comes from the efforts of the last six games at least we will have made some decent extra cash and hopefully reignited the stay away fans.

Agreed FJ. Also new young supporters. My daughter (11) attended a game for the first time and 4 goals on friday in the first leg including an exciting finale on the night left her asking when we could go again. Work commitments yesterday meant we couldn't go down last night to Perth but I have now promised her an away trip next season v the Rangers which she is buzzing about ( sunny Cove that is) 

• Like 3

CTO REPORT

That's it for another season from CTO Editorial Team.

Grateful thanks to Iain for all the PotY Polls and Eric, who despite being unwell has worked tirelessly behind the scenes updating the stats. A truly mind numbing task, especially with nine subs now to be added. With these guys working mostly in the background that enables me to churn out Previews and Reports. If you enjoyed them, I'm tm4tj, if not then I'm CaleyD (Disclaimer. Only joking)

See you next season. :ictscarf:

• Like 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Well, there it ends.

We were the better team in the first half but failed to capitalise on it by scoring. It is a bit of a cliche that you need to score whilst on top but true nevertheless.

We were two slow coming out of the blocks in the second half and, before we knew it, found ourselves 2 down and effectively out of it.

Those last 45 minutes of a very long season were just a bridge too far after a gruelling regular season peppered by injuries and other reasons for losing key players at vital times followed by the play offs which were even more gruelling and peppered by further injuries to vital players, suspension and absolutely horrendous refereeing failures.

I don't blame the players. In the circumstances they did remarkably well to get us as close as they did and can, to a man, leave the stage with their heads held high as can'ting the fans who to a man, woman, boy and girl were, once again absolutely magnificent. I struggle to remember when we had such loud, loyal and enthusiastic support.

As for the future, while we will be saying goodbye to a number, I believe that we have the nucleus of a squad capable of competing for promotion next season including a rapidly improving Austin Samuels and hopefully a fully fit and improving Roddy Macgregor.

We will need to add a few and bring in a couple fresh loanees but more recently Robbo has proved himself more adept at recruitment than when he was manager probably because that is now his main focus.

The one position I remain unsure of and in genuine doubt about is head coach.

Dodds will probably accept himself that he was appointed as the cheap and convenient option.

I was worried at the time that there was a reason why, despite a long and relatively successful coaching career, no club had sought fit to appoint him as manager in his iwn right.

I think those fears proved justified with long spells where he was like a rabbit in the headlights with no tactical awareness and no plan to make constructive changes when everyone else could clearly see that things were not working.

However, in fairness, towards the end of the season and particularly during the play offs he seemed to grow more into the role and things certainly improved in that regard.

For that reason, I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and retain him in place but on the very clear understanding that if we were not actively involved in the title race at Christmas then he would be replaced.

Once again great credit to our magnificent fans who once again sang their hearts out in Perth last night. It was a roller coaster but it was fun while it lasted.

I would say the end of the season, Dodds was making subs and changes that swung games (the Killie and some of the playoff games come to mind). I reckon he's learned a lot and if we can get some depth to the squad and a striker we can aim the long balls to, we've got a good chance

• Agree 1

I’ve seen a lot of folk saying we need a target man for the long balls. I really hope we don’t go down this route. When we play it on the deck we’ve got the players to win this league and it’s much better to watch. 
just a personal preference but what’s the point of having creative midfielders if our defence just misses them out. Hope we can find a good replacement for Kirk broadfoot. He’s been a bit of a rock this season. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Matt Shaw said:

I would say the end of the season, Dodds was making subs and changes that swung games (the Killie and some of the playoff games come to mind). I reckon he's learned a lot and if we can get some depth to the squad and a striker we can aim the long balls to, we've got a good chance

I totally agree. I think he has learned loads this season 

• Agree 2

What are we like. Reaching the play offs and giving us the belief we could do this. Beating the odds in the 4th match of the play offs at Arbroath and out of it at half time in the first leg against StJohnstone! Only to still be in it level with a great  chance of promotion at the start of the 2nd half of the 6th and final play off game of the season!  Nobody can say we didn’t give it our best attempt. Well done all !  

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

Just now, tm4tj said:

That group is actually quite menacing? All dressed in black with 2 of the flares ( as you can see actual flares) thrown at stewards. Then covered up their faces with the flags pretty sharpish too. 

I don't know if it was the fact this game felt so much but the normal friendly ST J/ICT atmosphere wasn't there. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

On Facebook I have had two separate features about St Johnstone winning 'suggested' for me.

I view this very dimly.

Do the suggestions involve St Johnstone shoving their win where the sun don’t shine. 

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Made myself sit through the highlights and yes, Chalmers totally loses his man and allows a free header. Great cross in though.

I decided to do that when I eventually got home as well. Yes, the poor defending didn't stop when Chalmers lost his man. If strikers are expected to "gamble" with a loose ball from the goalie (which May did so effectively), the defenders should show similar anticipation. Ball watching.

Nevertheless, tremendous effort from the lads. Despite the jammy deflected second goal (which effectively killed the game), St J were much more ruthless and deserved the win.

Edited by cif73
typo

26 minutes ago, FrontRow said:

I’ve seen a lot of folk saying we need a target man for the long balls. I really hope we don’t go down this route. When we play it on the deck we’ve got the players to win this league and it’s much better to watch. 
just a personal preference but what’s the point of having creative midfielders if our defence just misses them out. Hope we can find a good replacement for Kirk broadfoot. He’s been a bit of a rock this season. 

I here what your saying, but it would be nice to have the option of a big guy, who might hold the ball up, or knock on for guys like Samuels to play-off... and be in the middle for crosses from the wings, because for all their qualities it's asking a lot for guys like Mckay, Samuels, Hardy to take on CB's bigger and stronger for 90+mins. Let's be fair for certain games where we were under pressure like Arbroath away and St Johnstone, the ball is going to get hoofed. I was thinking how last year Todorov won so many headers for us. Obviously not always easy to get a big guy who isn't just a carthouse for the money we can pay.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, IBM said:

I have to agree about Rooney and the sad thing is we have never replaced him and that is why we have struggled the last few seasons.

A good effort tonight from the players after all the extra games.

I always thought Rooney was a crap RB but very good going forward

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Made myself sit through the highlights and yes, Chalmers totally loses his man and allows a free header. Great cross in though.

Haven't watched the highlights yet, but TBF to Chalmers, the guy he loses, ends up in the middle of where our two CB's should be, although that was between Deas and Devine so not sure where Broadfoot was. I should have put  money on bloody Stevie 'he hasn't scored in 24 games' May scoring. The absolute killer was that deflected shot. 

Anyway...I think a real plus from this season of this season is the re-emergence of a large crew of young/new/vocal supporters, which if they can be encouraged to keep coming next season will be both a financial and motivation boost for the team. 

Looking forward to next season, I'm so proud of the club, and love following it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

WellI  enjoyed my first season contributing to this forum and respect all other views and opinions even if I don't always agree with them. I think we all have a passion for ICT and want to see them in the Premiership. There is no doubt many mistakes were made this year in team selection at times and tactics,but we seemed to get through that period and more or less be on the same page as we came up the home straight. Mid season we all (me included) questioned the will and committment of the team and quire rightly so,but these last dozen or so games they have risen to the challenge and done themselves and the club proud so well done to the team! Finally, I always wondered if we were actually ready for the Premiership this year and going up too early would have meant a season languishing around the relegation zone again,so maybe best we try and keep building and getting stronger and then when we are ready for promotion we can do it in style. See you all next season.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

I was saying to a few folk last night I was torn about wanting to go up. Obviously for the better exposure, ability to attract or retain more / better players, bigger crowds and the clear financial benefits you want us to go up.

But on the flip side you have rubbish kick off times, multiple midweek rounds of fixtures and shockingly expensive tickets amongst other things.

Whilst I am disappointed at not going up there is a (very) small part of me that is at ease with the thought of 3 pm games most Saturdays and arguably better away days than some of the matches in the Premiership.

Probably not a view that will be shared by many, especially not the bean counters at the club, but I'm trying to seek out something positive from last night!

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

I totally agree. I think he has learned loads this season 

Me too which is why in my post I come down on the side of keeping him on. It would have been a different story if I was asked 6 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

That group is actually quite menacing? All dressed in black with 2 of the flares ( as you can see actual flares) thrown at stewards. Then covered up their faces with the flags pretty sharpish too. 

I don't know if it was the fact this game felt so much but the normal friendly ST J/ICT atmosphere wasn't there. 

Absolute idiots. Silly young boys demonstrating that they have a lot of growing up still to do.

If I was a St Johnstone fan I would have been cringing with embarrassment at these thoroughly juvenile but still, for some, very intimidating antics.

• Well Said 1

5 hours ago, Leaky Blinder said:

Agreed FJ. Also new young supporters. My daughter (11) attended a game for the first time and 4 goals on friday in the first leg including an exciting finale on the night left her asking when we could go again. Work commitments yesterday meant we couldn't go down last night to Perth but I have now promised her an away trip next season v the Rangers which she is buzzing about ( sunny Cove that is) 

Well done to her and to you.

It may not be what she might have been expecting but I am sure that she will find a visit to the Balmoral Stadium a much more pleasant experience than being abused and pelted with goodness knows what in the away section at Ibrox.

• Thank You 1
  • Well Said 1

For what it's worth, I disagree with those who suggest that Rooney was wrong to celebrate his goal so enthusiastically.

These days  players often have a dozen or more clubs in the course of their careers and, in my opinion, only owe loyalty to the club that they are playing for at any one time.

Rooney was fully committed when he played for us and we miss him badly. However, he has been a St Johnstone player now for a number of seasons and a very influential one at that. He is perfectly entitled to celebrate with his team mates and in front of his own fans without intending or showing any disrespect to us.

In my book, the only exceptions to that are true club legends, like in our case, Tokely or Munro who have moved on after very many seasons although they are becoming increasingly rare at all levels.

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic