Inverness CT -V- St Johnstone - Premiership Play-Off

tm4tj

3 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

The difference is a naked flame!! Saw 2 flares chucked at stewards by St J fans. No way they should be allowed imho

Totally agree with the dangerous aspect of the flares but the effects of the smoke are the same from both - hard to see how nominating a certain area can help with this as you're at the mercy of the prevailing wind. Just can't see the fascination with them, many hundreds of twirly scarfs are more my thing.

2 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

Totally agree with the dangerous aspect of the flares but the effects of the smoke are the same from both - hard to see how nominating a certain area can help with this as you're at the mercy of the prevailing wind. Just can't see the fascination with them, many hundreds of twirly scarfs are more my thing.

I've not got all the answers but I do think there is a conversation to be had. 

Flares burn hot enough to melt steel and have an exposed flame, they are intentionally difficult to put out as designed for marine use. 

Smoke bombs do burn a bit but internally at much lower temperature. They are very different. 

Edited by Fraz
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

Cant speak as someone with Asthma or any other respiratory condition but from personal experience, the "official" smoke used at Toronto FC nowadays is absolutely not as acrid as the smoke from flares or smoke bombs when it was unsanctioned and it also seems to dissipate faster in the air. I am assuming there were specific conditions or H&S considerations for the official smoke.  Having said that, it does still hit the lungs if you are in amongst it so for an asthmatic it may not matter whether the smoke is sanctioned or unsanctioned.   

22 hours ago, Fraz said:

Flares burn hot enough to melt steel and have an exposed flame, they are intentionally difficult to put out as designed for marine use. Smoke bombs do burn a bit but internally at much lower temperature. They are very different. 

Those flares are brutal. Marine or road flares burn at an insane temperature and as you said, they are designed to still burn in water or on a rainy road so the only real way to put them out is to dump then in a bucket of sand. Most people who smuggle them in don't bring a bucket of sand so throw them to the touchline when they get too hot. I have experienced one flying over my head at an early TFC game and I was lucky .. these things drip like candle wax and if it gets on your skin you are pretty much guaranteed 3rd degree burns. I did not get any on me, but a woman closer to the pitch did and she got burned on the leg. It was a big story over here when combined with the $40K cost to replace a section of the pitch and directly led to more stringent security at TFC games (and an alcohol ban in our section for several years!)

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 4:35 PM, old caley girl said:

I've not got all the answers but I do think there is a conversation to be had. 

Yep OCG there is indeed - I just hanker back to the golden years of the 60s when a few loo rolls bought from the corner shop on the way to the ground were more than sufficient to show your delight when the goals went in. Only problem was you're team had to play in white if you wanted yer loo roll to be the same as the team colours! 

• Funny 4

13 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

Yep OCG there is indeed - I just hanker back to the golden years of the 60s when a few loo rolls bought from the corner shop on the way to the ground were more than sufficient to show your delight when the goals went in. Only problem was you're team had to play in white if you wanted yer loo roll to be the same as the team colours! 

Although you had to make sure that they were the luxury paper ones rather than the slippery shiny and completely non absorbent ones beloved of school janitors and the custodians of many other public buildings in the 60s and 70s.

They were just about as useless for throwing as they were for their primary function.

34 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Although you had to make sure that they were the luxury paper ones rather than the slippery shiny and completely non absorbent ones beloved of school janitors and the custodians of many other public buildings in the 60s and 70s.

They were just about as useless for throwing as they were for their primary function.

There was a dull side and a shiny side you must have been using the wrong side 😳

All of this reminds me of TFC early years :lol:

L-R : The burned pitch I mentioned earlier. Unofficial Flares. 3 pics of corner kick madness in the first season (not allowed to do that anymore)

Burned Pitch     newengland_040_20100223_1048396410_14572651252_o.jpg     Players hated taking corners here     newengland_041_20100223_1375515772_14386770820_o.jpg     chicago_083_20100223_1311118922_14569965371_o.jpg

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:

All of this reminds me of TFC early years :lol:

L-R : The burned pitch I mentioned earlier. Unofficial Flares. 3 pics of corner kick madness in the first season (not allowed to do that anymore)

Burned Pitch     newengland_040_20100223_1048396410_14572651252_o.jpg     Players hated taking corners here     newengland_041_20100223_1375515772_14386770820_o.jpg     chicago_083_20100223_1311118922_14569965371_o.jpg

Out of interest Scotty how did it improve and did some rules change? 

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I say, talking about throwing toilet roll onto the pitch last millennium, but I get my topics locked down for mentioning possibility of previous players returning. 

Old Boys club here, not a level playing field!👎

3 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Out of interest Scotty how did it improve and did some rules change? 

The 'leadership' of each supporters group at TFC have regular meetings (all groups at once) with the club to talk about things that are planned, or things that have arisen that need discussing. On the club side they get the "south end" filled for every game with flag waving supporters, banners, noise and smoke, all of which the players like and which is great for the marketing folks to use when advertising the club. They also get to tell us what "suggestions" or edicts have come down from MLS to the clubs. It was MLS who banned the streamers at corners for example, not the club. It was also the league who keep changing the bag policy which is now see-through bags only, no backpacks and a few other restrictions. They will also discuss any incidents that might occur which need resolved and where possible give the supporters group the ability to self-police to an extent. 

On the supporters side the club have done many things. Over and above making the sections all standing, where flags, banners and drums are encouraged, that have also assisted with the technical aspects of hanging TIFOs (which the supporters groups make), they have trained people up on the safe use of the smoke, they have allowed supporters groups to somewhat manage their own sections right down to season ticket level. For example, in an effort to stop touts getting tickets, all season ticket sales in the 'supporters section' are passed through the supporters groups to verify membership in the group before being processed by the club. This year, as they seek to get fans back in the ground post-pandemic, they have also created a supporters pub in a section of the stadium. Again, this requires membership of one of the supporters groups and the beers are $6 instead of $14 which is standard stadium price! 

Its not perfect and there are moments - on both sides - but for the most part it does work well. 

13 hours ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say, talking about throwing toilet roll onto the pitch last millennium, but I get my topics locked down for mentioning possibility of previous players returning. 

Old Boys club here, not a level playing field!👎

I say.....For the record, you have been closing all your own topics yourself apart from one that was dealt with as there was already a topic dealing with it. Why close your topics which are sometimes relevant once you can see through the smoke screens. That defeats the purpose of having topics to debate and takes away from the purpose of the site. :shrug:

If we closed all topics that were past their sell by dates then there would be nothing left to read. :rules02:

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

I say.....For the record, you have been closing all your own topics yourself apart from one that was dealt with as there was already a topic dealing with it. Why close your topics which are sometimes relevant once you can see through the smoke screens. That defeats the purpose of having topics to debate and takes away from the purpose of the site. :shrug:

If we closed all topics that were past their sell by dates then there would be nothing left to read. :rules02:

This poster has made a number of interesting observations well worth discussing.

However, I am pretty sure that they would be met with a much more positive response if they were not phrased in a manner that wasn't remotely amusing in the first place and has now become utterly tedious.

It's a pity because, as I say, the contents of the posts are often interesting and worthy of debate.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

@No Shin Guards - if you have an issue with how the site is managed, lets discuss this in another thread or via message system. As noted, by a couple of our mods, you are closing your own topics according to the site logs so no-one is shutting you down. However, your methodology and phraseology are familiar to me so lets not pretend here! As mentioned, you do bring some interesting points to the discussions, so lets focus on that, and not the misguided attempt to manufacture censorship that is not in existence.   

• Like 2
  • Well Said 1

On 5/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, CaleyCanary said:

Pink strip now 😎

I say, I feel a bromance in the air with Naelifts ❤

Scotty, put me on the naughty step. Sorry 😞,  was having a bad day as a Gruffalo ate one of my favourite Haggis.

I will make it up to Kingsmills by giving him a lift to the Brora game in my 1985 Yugo. I will also give him a piggy back to the Clach game (if he loses some weight)

Eh what? 🧐 

Edited by No Shin Guards
I say, Typo!!

• tm4tj unpinned this topic