Aaron Doran Testimonial Event

Fraz

A very worthy cause and a practical way of showing appreciation to a great club servant for over a decade all to frequently blighted by injury.

We may in all likelihood never see Aaron on the pitch again so a perfect opportunity to say goodbye, if goodbye it is and allow him to leave with some very well merited boost to his finances.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

Never heard of Bill McAllister.

Nicola McAlley is she just a news reader?

I was expecting to see other names as guest speakers to be honest.

Bill McAllister did the Highland League roundup on BBC Radio Scotland back in the day before ICT was formed, and he ran a magazine called “Highland Football and Sport”. He’s also the dad of ex-Caley Mark McAllister (edit- and Caley Thistle in 94-95). He must be getting on a bit but should have a wealth of stories.

Edited by TheMantis

4 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

Nicola McAlley is she just a news reader?

I was expecting to see other names as guest speakers to be honest.

Retired local journalist. 

Nicola is local STV reporter but does presenting locally. 

I assume that spending money on an expensive big name was thought not cost effective given its to raise money for Aaron and to keep price of event reasonable. 

Bill has a lot of anecdotes from his time as a broadcaster and journalist. Would imagine he would be quite entertaining at an event like this. But watch out for the really bad puns! He has probably been around the club enough to have a few stories or anecdotes about Aaron as well. 

Nicola used to be the North Tonight presenter for Grampian TV in the Highlands. Also, a long-time journalist and broadcaster. No idea how she is on the speaking circuit, but definitely eloquent and well spoken. Would also have a wealth of local knowledge.

As for Gary Warren - I am sure he may have a few stories to tell also - the whole thing could be a bit more of an Aaron Doran 'roast' than a traditional after-dinner round of speeches. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

On no, have you made me feel so old!    I first met him in the late 1960s.  For many years he wrote on Highland League for the P&J and Evening Express.  Was basically the "goto" man for anything to do with HL football, and probably other sports too.  As Mantis said, for a while he ran a Highland football magazine - I was looking at some old photos recently, and was reminded that I had a sticker for it in the back window of one of my old cars.  The mag probably didn't have a high circulation here in the SE of England!

Have seen a few local history articles by him on the Courier website.  He was also a local councillor in Inverness for many years.

• 3 months later...