The Platinum Jubilee

As a lifelong, or at least from when the Queen refused to sogn my autograph book 50 years ago on a visit to Fort George Republican, I will be doing my utmost to ignore this event.

However, I am curious to know whether any others intend to mark the occasion either by purchasing memorabilia or attending events ?

Mrs snorbens and I will mark the occasion as we have done before ... by getting out of the country!   Unfortunately, this time we will only be getting out of Engerland, because all of the places we looked at abroad were booked up.  It is also - presumably coincidentally - a holiday weekend in Ireland. 

Last Jubilee, the one where it rained all the time, we had a great weekend in Bruges.  Even though it rained all the time there, too.

So we are heading up to Sneck on Monday for a few days, principally to see my Mum.  Then across to Arisaig, for four days over the holiday weekend.  I have never been beyond Fort William, but my wife spent a summer, about 46 years ago 😢,  staying and working in the youth hostel in Morar (long since closed).  She is expecting to find a few changes!

Then it's off to Falkirk to see my sister-in-law, provided she has recovered from the covid that she has just now.  And finally to York, to catch the last date of a twice-postponed tour by the guitarist's guitarist, Jeff Beck.  He is just short of 78, so there can't be many more chances to see him.

I stay in a cul-de-sac of 17 houses, and they are having a street party on the Saturday of the Joobly weekend.  Normally we would be pleased to join in - most of them are a great bunch of people - but not with all the Royal flummery attached.  We had booked our travels before the party was suggested.

• Like 2

The song of the Jubilee: Sweet Caroline!

Somehow it became the English football anthem last year so that presumably influenced the public vote.

But why was it the music chosen when the full time whistle went at McDiarmid Park on Monday?

9 hours ago, Robert said:

The song of the Jubilee: Sweet Caroline!

Somehow it became the English football anthem last year so that presumably influenced the public vote.

But why was it the music chosen when the full time whistle went at McDiarmid Park on Monday?

It has been a sort of unofficial anthem of English cricket for years.

Strange, given that the Queen seems to have lost weight recently, I assumed that the official song of the Jubilee would be something by Thin Lizzie.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Strange, given that the Queen seems to have lost weight recently, I assumed that the official song of the Jubilee would be something by Thin Lizzie.

With Andrew and Harry wanting to get in on the act "The boys are back in town" might be appropriate?

• Funny 2

13 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

With Andrew and Harry wanting to get in on the act "The boys are back in town" might be appropriate?

In the case of the former at least, Slade's Lock Up Yout Daughters would be more appropriate.

• Funny 2

On 5/28/2022 at 8:27 AM, Kingsmills said:

Brilliant. I'm stealing that :rotflmao:

As for celebrating the occasion she's never celebrated any of my big days so why should bother with hers?  

Sweat Caroline can do one - I used to like the song when it first came out but has now been ruined beyond repair.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Downinthedumps said:

I see Andrea Bocelli is doing a wee warm up gig tonight at the Queens palace party before his big appearance at Caledonian Stadium next month 🫅😀

There is surely irony in a 'charity' concert to honour an over privileged trillionaire.

There is no word about the millions this even will have cost us the taxpayer!  There was an event at Grebe Park in Drakies which I did not attend as I was enjoying such a glorious day in the garden :smile:

There is an event in the village here tomorrow. Not my cup of tea so won't be going. Funded by local funding systems though...

I too feel a lot of the money spent could have been better spent on her subjects? A lot of whom are struggling...

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, old caley girl said:

There is an event in the village here tomorrow. Not my cup of tea so won't be going. Funded by local funding systems though...

I too feel a lot of the money spent could have been better spent on her subjects? A lot of whom are struggling...

Personally, I am nobody's 'subject'. I am a citizen.

2 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Me too but like it or not we live in this system and are subjects....

Don't think this system has longevity in Scotland though.....

Once again, I may reluctantly reside in a monarchy but I am nobody's subject.

One of our local estates seems to be having a 'garden party' at which their workers and tenants seem almost obliged to attend.

Apart from that, as far as I can see, nothing at all in our village of about 2,000 souls.

I imagine it might be a little different just over the hill in 'Royal Deeside'.

Edited by Kingsmills

We took our two year old grandson to Viewfield Park in Nairn. A free event with live music.

A lot of families were picnicking and all were having a great time.

One stand was giving out Union Jack hats (they don’t suit me!) but it was just a nice day out and the wee one loved it.

We’ve watched last night’s concert from the Palace tonight and enjoyed it. I hope Charles is wrong with his unnecessary and out of place comment that “it might come home in 2022” but otherwise it was a feel good event.

Even if IndyRef2 happens and gets a positive vote, we will remain in the Commonwealth at least initially.

Even if the media do not think beyond England, the Queen certainly does as her love for Scotland shows.

I’m no royalist but I respect what she has done for so many years and am surprised by some of the comments above.

And a PS to Rod Stewart: you murdered Sweet Caroline (and not in a good way)!

Edited by Robert

On 6/4/2022 at 9:35 PM, Downinthedumps said:

I see Andrea Bocelli is doing a wee warm up gig tonight at the Queens palace party before his big appearance at Caledonian Stadium next month 🫅😀

So were Duran Duran. 

On 6/5/2022 at 4:16 AM, Kingsmills said:

Personally, I am nobody's 'subject'. I am a citizen.

22 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Me too but like it or not we live in this system and are subjects....

Don't think this system has longevity in Scotland though.....

Is it not the case that sovereignty in Scotland is with the people so we are not subjects? Although in practice we are ‘subjected’ to all this nonsense anyway…

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Is it not the case that sovereignty in Scotland is with the people so we are not subjects? Although in practice we are ‘subjected’ to all this nonsense anyway…

Absolutely true both in theory and in practice.