Nathan Shaw Signs for ICT

SMEE

Shaw is an exciting talent and will do well with us. Boyd shows off our lack of ambition. Why have we signed a striker that doesn't like to pass, doesn't have hold up play, and can't score goals? ... baffling. He will be a bench warmer at best.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

Shaw is an exciting talent and will do well with us. Boyd shows off our lack of ambition.

Which is it, we lack ambition or we are signing exciting talents - cant be both IMO

We sign players based on either being back up to key squad, youth we can develop and cash in on, or highly experienced first team members - perhaps these players meet some of those criteria and perhaps the ambition matches the requirement?

It shows a lack of consistency and a lack of money. Each player is different so yes it can be both. Every team signs the odd jobber now and again but we like to recruit jobbers for key roles such as those in front of goal. Boyd will need to seriously up his game because the Alloa fans were less than complimentary about him. Shaw is a good young player looking to break into fulltime pro football. Some might argue that Shaw is a risk but he has something about him. We lack ambition because we take a punt on jobbers like Boyd who will be a benchwarmer at best - we should be recruiting more younger players like Shaw not jobbers like Boyd - that is where the lack of ambition comes into play. I am happy to hold my hand up if I am wrong at the end of the season but I reckon it will be a case of Boyd who?

• Well Said 1

We will see ... Over the years we have had equal measure of turning jobbers into decent players for us - who then return to being jobbers when they move elsewhere - but we have also signed some out and out duds who never live up to whatever potential someone saw in them. There is a key phrase in that article for me and it is 3 simple words - "reignite his career" . The lad was playing for Celtic as a youngster and had played for Scotland youth before having to drop a couple of leagues after Hamilton so he's clearly not a bad player. However, that fall from the top level has got to hurt a little and of course the head can go down. The article talks about how he wants full time football ...  if he wants it enough, then perhaps he is motivated to work hard and achieve it. Give the lad a chance and hopefully it works out for us (and him).    

• Agree 3