Inverness CT -V- Queens Park - Preview

tm4tj

47 minutes ago, STFU said:

Have said it already this season, but if we're serious about challenging for the league then we need to be the team dictating the play and not allowing the opposition to dictate.  Especially at home.

Hoping Belladrum was the reason we had a poor sub 2000 crowd for our first league match of the season.

Hope so too. Also people away on holiday. I enquired about the Curry & pint hospitality and was told it was cancelled due to lack of interest. 

2 hours ago, STFU said:

We thought about it, but it equated to about £33 for a curry and a pint and most of our group weren't willing to pay that.

Yeah, I've promised my daughter to take her to hospitality some time and seen as I can't afford the normal one this seemed like a good compromise. To be honest I've not done hospitality since we were relegated. 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Our club report is at least better than the BBC! 

Although our own CTO report by tm4tj is the bees knees :smile:

From the BBC

Queen's Park marked their return to Scotland's second tier after 39 years with a deserved point away to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Last season's play-off winners had already come close through Simon Murray before centre-half Jake Davidson surged into the penalty box to fire home.

However, evergreen striker Billy Mackay levelled with a shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Saves from goalkeepers Calum Ferrie and Mark Ridgers ensured now more goals.

And here is the online photo :lol:

BBC Highlands and Islands Old strip.PNG

The BBC couldn't a stuff about the Scottish leagues outside of the Premiership so we shouldn't be surprised.

I thought we probably should have won the game on Saturday but our poor finishing was our downfall. Continue like that and we won't be doing much this season. I feel Dodds making the subs when he did stalled our momentum. We seemed to be in the ascendancy but after Samuels and Boyd went off Queens Park got back into the game. I could see why Samuels was taken off. He wasn't really influencing the game much but I thought Boyd was going okay. Defensively we looked a bit suspect. A couple of times we allowed Queens Park players to run a good 30 or 40 yards unchallenged before they got a shot away. We paid for it once in the first half and almost did so again in the second. 

Mckay, MacKay and MacGregor all performed well in flashes. Roddy had some lovely touches in the middle of the pitch but I felt he was sitting a little too deep for my liking. Would have been nice to see him pressed further forward. Harper continues to show good form at left back and is looking a lot better defensively so far this season which is great to see.

Queens looked a useful side once they got their goal and settled down but after the opening 15 minutes or so I thought we were going to run away with it. Didn't quite work out like that and Ridgers had to make some important saves in the first half to keep us in it. Big improvements are needed for sure.

Edited by RiG

5 hours ago, RiG said:

Mckay, MacKay and MacGregor all performed well in flashes. Roddy had some lovely touches in the middle of the pitch but I felt he was sitting a little too deep for my liking. Would have been nice to see him pressed further forward. Harper continues to show good form at left back and is looking a lot better defensively so far this season which is great to see.

Big improvements are needed for sure.

I agree, I think MacGregor is better when pushed further up, but our injuries meant he was in central midfield with Allardice, and I think that contributed to Queens Park having the upper hand in midfield.

I’m not sure how long Welsh is out for, whilst injuries mean Carson has to be at right back. Ideally we’d have two of Allardice, Carson and Welsh in central midfield (with Hyde as back up) and MacGregor playing off Mckay but dropping back to bolster the midfield when required.

I think teams know how to play us and as we try to push the full backs up, we end up a bit exposed at times.

Once we have Deas back, and Devine and Welsh fit, I’m sure we will be much stronger, and we then have Sutherland and Walsh to come back later in the season.

In the meantime, we must sharpen up our passing game, as too often we gave the ball away tamely, with all players really guilty of it, including those regarded to have had good games.

Boyd looked lively so is worth more game time, whilst I think Delaney will come good with a more experienced defender alongside him. I like Duffy but he’s not yet the leader that Devine and Deas are, so we didn’t really have anyone marshalling the defence, and it showed at times.

Watching Queens Park’s goal again, what a gift to give away. We’d several opportunities to tackle the player but didn’t, then the shot was pretty weak but somehow landed up in the net. We should have snuffed it out in midfield rather than allowing the run.

We are already playing catch up so we don’t want to slip up at Arbroath next week and fall further off the pace.

• Agree 1

Devine’s carrying an injury and may require an operation so I think he will be used sparingly.

A better option, if he’s sufficiently fit, would be to start him and replace him when he’s done all he can in the game.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic