Arbroath -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

Matchday Two

Last season's nearly men are the hosts on matchday 2 as we visit Gayfield to take on Arbroath. Saturday at 3:00pm is the time to be there with both clubs looking to improve on opening day draws in the cinch championship. Its a tough place to take points away from although we were the only club who managed that last season in the league. Hibs were the only other side to defeat them there, and that was in a Scottish Cup tie. Arbroath had a fantastic season last term and may find it difficult to emulate that this season. Nonetheless, its still a massive challenge to get something from these games with Dick & Dom at the helm.

MATCH/TICKET/SUPPORTERS BUS INFO

On day one, the Smokies were held to a scoreless draw at Somerset Park. They ended the game a man short when Thomas O'Brien was red carded. He will now miss Saturday's game. We fared little better with a 1-1 draw at home to newbies Queens Park who took an early lead through Jake Davidson before Billy Mckay equalised just before the break. Both teams spurned numerous opportunities and both keepers did well to keep the score level.

Venue H2H v Arbroath Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 22 16 3 3 56 18 +38
Away 20 9 5 6 26 22 +4
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 42 25 8 9 82 40 +42
First Competitive Meeting
Aug 13th, 1994  League ((Div 3)) (Hercher hat-trick: Legend) (H) 5 - 2
Most Recent Competitive Meeting
May 13th, 2022 League (Playoff) (Semi Final 2nd Leg) (A) 0 - 0
Last 10 Competitive Meetings
draw.png
0 - 0
(A)
draw.png
0 - 0
(H)
win.png
3 - 0
(H)
draw.png
0 - 0
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
win.png
1 - 0
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
win.png
3 - 1
(H)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
Biggest Victories
Jul 30th, 2016 League Cup (Group C) (H) 7 - 0

LATEST TEAM NEWS 

Robbie Deas misses out again in his second game for accumulated bookings. Shane Sutherland and Tom Walsh are long term injuries. Sean Welsh is recovering after minor surgery and Max Ram is out for a while. Danny Devine is not 100% and needs to be used sparingly at the moment. Apart from that, we are good to go with youngsters, fresh faces and Aaron Doran. 

Eric's Smokies catch-up 💻

Departures

Calum Antell, reserve keeper off to Berwick Rangers on a free: Backs Liam Henderson now at Falkirk and Chris Hamilton end of loan.

In the January window last season Arbroath brought in a number of forward players in their push for the title, they have now left the club.

Jack Hamilton end of loan from Livingston. Craig Wighton back at Dunfermline after loan spell. Sam Ford now plying his trade with Hume City FC in Australia, and Michael Bakare centre forward is now with Helsinki FK.

A notable departure is Gavin Swankie who has retired at the age of 38 after four spells at Arbroath, his first appearance for the club back in season 2000/2001.

New Arrivals

Replacement reserve keeper Cammy Gill from Cowdenbeath FC. Mason Hancock a left back on loan from Aberdeen FC B. Keaghan Jacobs central midfielder on a free transfer from Livingston FC. Daniel Fosu a midfield player from an amateur team called Thatcham Town FC which is seemingly in Berkshire. Keiran Shanks from Inverurie Locos, a centre forward once an Aberdeen U18 player.

Oh and Bobby Linn is still there after 9 years at the club. (some things never change)

View full article

• Like 2

Ayr United came from two down to beat Queens Park away from home tonight.

Queens Park - 2  Murray (18), Thomas (32))

Ayr United - 3  Akinyem (46, 90+2 pen), McGinty (78)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Ayr United came from two down to beat Queens Park away from home tonight.

Queens Park - 2  Murray (18), Thomas (32))

Ayr United - 3  Akinyem (46, 90+2 pen), McGinty (78)

As it was a 7.45pm k.o I thought it was on council telly...but it wasn't. Would have been a good watch that.

Half time 0-0.

Oakley has picked up a booking.

From the BBC stats, Arbroath have had 54% of the ball with 5 attempts, 3 on target, and we have had 3 attempts, 1 from Mckay on target.

Delaney on for Duffy at the start of the second half: an injury?

Edited by Robert
  • Thank You 1

0-0 at full time.

Carson booked in stoppage time.

Only 4 attempts in the whole game so sounds like a point gained rather than 2 lost but we need to get into winning ways soon.

Sportscene didn’t even bother to give a full time report. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FrontRow said:

What a terrible game. No one able to keep the ball on the deck but conditions look horrendous. 

Can't read too much into them, but the BBC stats would suggest that coming out of that with a draw was a good result.

But we played there three times last season, and are still playing the ball in the air?   Beyond belief.

• Agree 4

Well I suppose it is a slightly better result than last week’s draw.

I’d imagine that I was the only person at the Sagrada Familia this afternoon who was busily checking the ICT score every minute, although a few days earlier I did see an ICT beach towel on a lounger in Salou but I didn’t see its owner.

• Like 2

This makes the 90 minutes sound more positive than FrontRow’s comments from the ground.

One cleared off the line early on and a disallowed goal, but the stats imply we did well to get a point:

https://ictfc.com/arbroath-0-0-ictfc-06-08-2022 

Draws have been our Achilles heal too often in recent seasons: a win next Saturday is needed or we will be playing catch up in what looks like being a tight league. 

We looked excellent for about 10 minutes then managed to fall into the usual Gayfield trap of engaging in an aerial bombardment which had my eyes bleeding. I just don't understand why we think this will prove to be a success against Arbroath. Only plus point of the day was my steak and black pudding pie. Worth nothing that the stewards at Gayfield again making this a rather heavy day out. I'm sure they'll be as brave next week when Dundee fill the away end.

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic