Inverness v Morton - Preview

tm4tj

Ton of trouble

After last weeks sobering experience at the hands of Partick Thistle, Dougie Imrie's Morton head North looking to pose more problems for Inverness. It's a 3:00pm kick-off on Saturday with both clubs sitting on five points after four games, three behind early pace setters Ayr United. Our squad were somewhat depleted last weekend and there's no sign of much improvement on the injury front. We are a bit thin on defensive cover, especially down the right, but that's nothing new. We have only had a couple of years to sort that one out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TICKET INFO

Venue - H2H v Morton Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 19 12 4 3 46 17 +29
Away 17 10 3 4 35 19 +16
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 36 22 7 7 81 36 +45

Head 2 Head results show that we have lost only three times at home to Morton in nineteen games, although the most recent was a 1-0 defeat at the Caledonian Stadium last season. That was a hard one to get your head round considering we had thumped them 6-1 in the previous league game at Cappielow before Xmas, our biggest ever win over Morton. It also coincided with a massive dip in fortunes when we never won a game for an eternity, possibly costing us automatic promotion. Overall the stats are heavily in our favour with a plus 45 goal difference.

Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Morton. (click on scores to view more)
win.png
1 - 0
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
win.png
6 - 1
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(H)
win.png
4 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
win.png
3 - 2
(H)
Biggest Victories
Dec 11th, 2021 League (Championship) (A) 6 - 1
Aug 30th, 2019 League (H) 5 - 0
Heaviest Defeats
Nov 12th, 1999 League (A) 1 - 5

FRIDAY 26TH AUGUST

Ayr United 3-1 Dundee

SATURDAY 27TH AUGUST

Hamilton v Arbroath

Inverness v Morton    

Partick v Rovers

Queen's v Cove    

The season so far

Morton started their campaign at New Douglas Park with a 1-1 draw against Hamilton. That was followed by a 1-0 home win over Cove Rangers thanks to a Jai Quitongo strike then a defeat by Raith Rovers, going down 2-1 at Starks Park. Last week was a massive game for them with a no scoring draw against title favourites Dundee at Cappielow, Robbie Muirhead hitting the post with a late flick on target.

After mediocre early draws culminating in a 4-1 beating of Cove, we got a rude awakening last Friday night when an error strewn defensive display saw us hammered 4-1 on the telly at Firhill. George Oakley got the definitive consolation goal, probably more than we deserved. We will need better if we want to get into the top four in what will be a tight division. 

Dodds no happy after Partick Pumping...

Latest Team News

Sutherland and Walsh are long term absentees. Sean Welsh and Max Ram are recovering. Carson and Duffy are nursing injuries and Danny Devine missed out at Partick as he struggles for fitness. Prove me wrong Billy, but my money is a team along similar lines to Partick away!

Eric's Morton Movers (and there's plenty)

Manager Dougie Imrie reshaped his squad after the summer break.

Out go both keepers, Jack Hamilton in a move to Livingston and Joshua Bysouth currently without a club.

Backs released: Jamie Brandon end of loan deal. Oisin McEntee end of loan from Newcastle FC Brian McLean moves to Clyde, and Mark Russell on a free move to Galway United.

Imrie appears to have kept faith in the majority of his midfield.

Kyle Jacobs sent out on loan to Edinburgh FC, Iain Wilson off to QOS and on loan Tom Allan returns to parent club Newcastle

Up front only Robbie Muirhead remains from last seasons strike force.

The following players have left: Gavin Reilly end of loan from Livingston. Gary Oliver joined Falkirk, Gozie Ugwu released no club and Alexander Easdale centre forward has retired at the tender age of 22 to take up a position in the family business.

New faces at Cappielow.

Between the sticks the manager has handed the No. 1 jersey to the American born Brian Schwake who at 21 years of age arrive on a season loan from Livingston. Back up keeper is a another young player in 19 year old Lawton Green, a New Zealander previously with Motherwell B.

Centre backs Darragh O'Connor from Motherwell and Jack Baird last couple of seasons at Ayr United. Carlo Pignatiello a right back comes in from Livingston FC

Robbie Crawford, midfielder from Partick Thistle, also in the middle of the park we have Grant Gillespie from Queens Park FC and he has been handed captaincy of the team.

Up front on loan from Livingston is Jaze Kabia a right winger and in on a free from Queens Park is centre forward Jai Quitongo who is incidentally son of Jose Quitongo who had a long career with numerous clubs in Scotland.

• Like 2
  • Well Said 1

• tm4tj featured and pinned this topic

It is interesting to read about our overall good record against Morton, particularly at home. However they’ve won up here twice in the last couple of years so we need a good performance and definitely three points.

I agree many changes are unlikely despite last week’s dismal showing but we need to start with Duffy or Carson at right back as if we play Hyde there again we are at risk of destroying him as he will be targeted by Morton.

We need to be more competitive in midfield also, even if it means sacrificing a more attacking player. If we keep giving the ball away by not having options in midfield we will not win the game.

90 minutes like the first 45 against Cove please!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

After the great game against Cove Rangers two weeks ago and then the thrashing by Partick last Friday I am not sure what to expect tomorrow.  I just hope that the players will give a decent performance and they show that they are capable of winning this league by winning the game  easy and a clean sheet but Morton are no mugs!

The work rate and desire to win this game must be improved in bucket fulls from the Partick showing, we looked ponderous and second to every ball. And I agree, we need to win the midfield battle, and if that means taking a more attacking player out , then that's what we have to do. Three points are a must after Ayr's great win tonight.

• Agree 1

I know it's early in the season but we have to get 3pts today, for a team that harbours ambitions of promotion in a league that is extremely competitive, there should be no reason we go into any home game fearing anyone.

Morton however are a solid outfit and we have to drastically improve in all areas.  Work rate, intensity, fluidity and creativity must be maxed out today and I'd expect 100% from everyone that starts, anything less is not good enough.

• Agree 1

Find it strange that Delaney and Daniel Mackay have been dropped. It will be interesting to see Boyd start. Can't say I've been overly impressed by him so far. Hope he proves me wrong today though.

A truly disgraceful 'performance'. 🤬🤬🤬

Was like watching a training exercise... no urgency, no creativity, no pace, no tactics, no inspiration, no imagination, no skill, and no heart! 

Looking at that team today, there's nothing there. There's nothing that says to me that this team can challenge for the title. The performances through the playoffs gave me hope that we could win promotion this season. On today's evidence, that hope is gone! 

Awful 🤬

• Agree 6

Well, that was horrendous. I really believe now that Dodds has no idea how to set up and inspire a team. There was no energy, no pace, no desire, no leadership, no tactics, unless you count the hopeful hoofball that the team likes to play. Getting into the playoffs saved Dodds job last season, he may not be as lucky this term. We need points fast, as other teams are pulling away from us, and we aren't too big a club to struggle in this league, just ask Falkirk and Dunfermline. 

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

There was no energy, no pace, no desire, no leadership, no tactics, unless you count the hopeful hoofball that the team likes to play.

I understand you, and Dodds must take some of the blame.  But - energy, pace, desire, leadership - there are 11 full-time pros on the pitch at any time.  Surely they should be providing these qualities, regardless of what the manager does or says?

Though maybe a call to Klopp to find out what he said to Liverpool would be a good idea!

• Well Said 1

4 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I understand you, and Dodds must take some of the blame.  But - energy, pace, desire, leadership - there are 11 full-time pros on the pitch at any time.  Surely they should be providing these qualities, regardless of what the manager does or says?

Though maybe a call to Klopp to find out what he said to Liverpool would be a good idea!

It would be nice to know what they do training? They were horrendous in the first half, and they come out and play the same tactics in the second half, that's up to Dodds to change things. In my opinion, his lineup was wrong and playing three forward players was wrong.

• Agree 2

Just rubbish - seriously need to think about capability of Dodds to positively change things. It was clear we needed serious surgery and not tinkering.  (3 subs may have altered the malaise - 1 change 15 min in the second half showed he thought what was being offered might work)! 
Only see a long struggle to stay in this league! Just summarised the trouble we are in!!! English water companies!! 

Well that was truelly awful. It has been said already but in the first half everyone could see there was no tempo,no pace,no ideas no hunger no leadership no inspirational play.If this is how they react to getting gubbed by Partick, heaven help us.This week was every bit as bad.Yes we have injuries to key players,but as full time professionals they can do much better than that.They didn't act or play as a team.I thought at half time they'd get a rocket but alas no.More of the same garbage.

I suppose the only way is up.Unfortunately we are right in the brown stuff and on the showing over last two games don't look we have a clue how to get out of it.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Agree 1

Honestly that has to rank as one of the worst performances since relegation and there's been many.

Morton came up for the point, but didn't need to break sweat to claim all three, now that is unacceptable. 

So many abject performances all over the pitch, but one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the inability of the management team to change the game plan and raise the tempo. 

• Agree 1

Dodds Get to f*ck!   OK that's enough!  I've had it..

There was no plan today, Just players going through the motions!   

No pass marks for anyone except Billy and Allardice.  What has happened with Mcgregor? feckin waste of space!  Carson...shyte  not a right back in my lifetime!

Why has Dodds not recruited proper full back?

Seriously disgruntled ICT fan TONIGHT!! 

• tm4tj unpinned this topic