Inverness v Morton - Preview

tm4tj

13 minutes ago, caley100 said:

Dodds Get to f*ck!   OK that's enough!  I've had it..

There was no plan today, Just players going through the motions!   

No pass marks for anyone except Billy and Allardice.  What has happened with Mcgregor? feckin waste of space!  Carson...shyte  not a right back in my lifetime!

Why has Dodds not recruited proper full back?

Seriously disgruntled ICT fan TONIGHT!! 

Agree about Mcgregor he was just running about aimlessly.Carson,I used to rate,but today it seemed his mission was to see how many times he could hit the opposition with the ball.

That was a painful watch. Morton came for a point but won all three and we can’t really complain.

Ridgers had two great saves which stopped us being behind long before the penalty. I need to see the penalty incident again. I think it did hit Duffy but I don’t think he’d any chance of getting out of the way.

We hardly troubled their ‘keeper and after Samuels went off we seemed to lose whatever semblance of a plan we had.

Distribution from the back was very poor from Carson, Deas and Harper. The midfield malfunctioned badly again. Allardice, for me, is not yet the player he was before his injury. The front players had nothing to work with as a result.

I’d only give pass marks to Ridgers, Duffy, Boyd and Samuels.

Something is very wrong as we have a decent squad and should be able to match and beat any team in this league, but too often we are predictable, never seem to have a plan B and our passing too often let’s us down. When attacking, too often we try to pass through teams and the attack breaks down. We need to shoot for goal much earlier in moves and work the ‘keeper.

The long ball game is not working. We need to keep the ball on the ground much more, pass quickly and move to create space.

The teams that do that well will do best in this league.

Sadly we are not showing any signs of being promotion contenders and, sitting eighth, the play off we are heading to is the relegation one.

Can we sign a right back before the window closes? I doubt it but again the need for one was clear. We need Carson in midfield to make us competitive.

However, we are only five games in so there is plenty time to sort this out, but we need to get points on the board soon, starting in Kirkcaldy next week.

Whilst it is good to be in the last 16 of the League Cup, for me that is very much secondary to being ready and really up for Raith next week.

To sum up, that was as poor as I’ve seen in a while. We can’t keep the ball and until we can, we will not be competitive.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 4

After Daniel MacKay came on it took ages for him to get involved as Carson rather than pass the ball to him in space kept trying to pass in the pitch and give the ball away; he ended up going to the other side of the pitch to get the ball. Bizarre....

Also a special mention to the absolute waste of any set piece we got. If we cant create from open play, then by f**k we got to put more pressure on the opposition defence from corners,free kicks etc . Unbelievable how ***** we are at throw ins and corners kicks.

Jeezuz! Wish i could do  the interview after the game!   

Why after 2 years have we not signed 2 proper full backs? 

Why has Mcgregor gone backwards?

Why do we faff about at the back to give time to the opposition to get organised in defence?

Why did you sign Oakley?

Do you worry about your job security?

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

2 hours ago, jed5697 said:

After Daniel MacKay came on it took ages for him to get involved as Carson rather than pass the ball to him in space kept trying to pass in the pitch and give the ball away; he ended up going to the other side of the pitch to get the ball. Bizarre....

I may be being harsh here but I didn’t think Dan Mackay’s body language was right today. Before the game I sensed he was unhappy about being dropped, seeing him in the warm up.

He’s got great talent but we are not getting the best from him, and I was not surprised he was not starting.

There was a lot of frustration shown by some players. That’s good as it shows they care. We now need to channel that positively into better performances and results.

For anyone not there for the torture today, this doesn’t indicate how poor we were:

https://ictfc.com/match-report-ictfc-0-1-morton-27-08-2022

Edited by Robert

4 hours ago, caley100 said:

Jeezuz! Wish i could do  the interview after the game!   

Why after 2 years have we not signed 2 proper full backs? 

Why has Mcgregor gone backwards?

Why do we faff about at the back to give time to the opposition to get organised in defence?

Why did you sign Oakley?

Do you worry about your job security?

I said the same thing to my son, why do we continually pass it back and forth across the back four after we gain control of the ball, instead of hitting them hard and fast before they get back into position.

I also think that Macgregor has gone backwards, sometimes you forget he's playing. I remember there was some talk about him on Sportsound I think, some time ago, think it was Alan Preston or some other pundit, and they were basically saying that Macgregor would be the next one to get a big move, and since then his form seems to have dipped. Maybe it's the absence of Welsh, who along with Allardice, were the best middle three, who knows.

If we are going to persist playing Hoofball, then we should have signed a target man, not Oakley, that's not his game, and as for the lack of full backs, that just looks like Dodds doesn't think this is a very important position, anyone can fill in at full back in his world.

An absolute shambles from start to finish. Not one player deserves praise in my opinion. After the awful performance last week I expected to see a reaction and for us to come out all guns blazing but it didn't happen. 

Mcgregor didn't play well yesterday but he's better suited to playing further forward. If Dodds would sign a proper right back Carson could move into midfield with Allardice and Mcgregor which would make us more solid. I can't beleive we still haven't signed any full backs since Rooney left. It's complete madness. Everyone can see it bar Dodds it seems. 

The other problem I've got is giving out long term contracts to players that are constantly getting injured. Welsh and Doran are good players but neither can stay fit for any lenght of time. Walsh is another who gets injured a lot. We saw how weak the bench was yesterday due to us having a smallish squad. I realise everyone can get injured but these guys are getting injured regularly and missing large chunks of the season which we can't afford.

We need to make big improvements because the last two weeks the performances have been horrible. There's just been nothing about us, no fight, no desire and its a worry. Let's hope we can turn things around quickly.

• Agree 2

It’s interesting to see Arbroath and ourselves struggling. Hangover from the knock outs. 
we have to realise we are missing our most experienced players - Devine and Welsh and we’ve lost Broadfoot. Take that experience out and you are left with a pretty young team that need our support not constant telling them they’re crap. 
MacGregor is definitely better playing in a position further up the field - he hasn’t gone back - he’s being played in a different position. Cammy Harper has improved A fair bit as had Duffy. We’ve got to remember these guys are just 20 years old - they will not be consistent at that age. What they do need is encouragement and support from us and from the management team. 
Im really not sure the tactics were employing work with the team we have either. You can see Dodds wants width but he’s leaving the midfield short. 

Two weeks ago we were a ‘great team’and had scored 4 goals. Maybe we have to get things into perspective. Long, long way to go 

• Well Said 2

18 hours ago, Douglas Mackenzie said:

Agree about Mcgregor he was just running about aimlessly.Carson,I used to rate,but today it seemed his mission was to see how many times he could hit the opposition with the ball.

We need to stop playing Roddy at CDM. It's a waste  

Agree totally with the posters pointing out we have not replaced Rooney even after all this time. It's costing us. 

5 hours ago, FrontRow said:

What they do need is encouragement and support from us and from the management team. 
Im really not sure the tactics were employing work with the team we have either. You can see Dodds wants width but he’s leaving the midfield short.

I agree with both points.

The players do need our support but it is inevitable that we vent frustration at what we’ve had to endure in the last two games.

A lot of us have been saying for weeks that tactically teams know how to play us, that we need a right back and that we need to strengthen central midfield at the expense of a forward player.

Other than the first 45 against Cove, of the games I’ve seen (all the home league and cup games and the Partick TV game) we’ve not been that good, in my opinion for the reasons above.

It is time for the management team to ensure we have, and can implement, plans B and, if need be, C, as too often the long ball game is our undoing. 

We are missing some of our best players from last season - to injuries and loans ending. With Broadfoot also leaving this leaves a huge deficit in our experience levels, and the signings we have made (as well as not signing a proper fullback) have failed to address this.

I'm not sure we have the leadership on the park to ride out these tough spells, or turn draws into wins.

We needed some good signings this summer and I've yet to see any evidence that our management team has succeded in this.

Edited by Satan

14 hours ago, Satan said:

We are missing some of our best players from last season - to injuries and loans ending. With Broadfoot also leaving this leaves a huge deficit in our experience levels, and the signings we have made (as well as not signing a proper fullback) have failed to address this.

I'm not sure we have the leadership on the park to ride out these tough spells, or turn draws into wins.

We needed some good signings this summer and I've yet to see any evidence that our management team has succeded in this.

Agreed.

I was quite excited by the opening 10 mins or so of the game when we had a handful of decent attacking opportunities, but then the bottom fell out of everything.  Samuels started using his pace to run into walls and I'd said to the couple sitting next to me that he was going to get himself injured moments before he went down the first time.

By mid way through the first half it was obvious something was wrong, not just with the tactics, but with the team.  They were niggling at each other, uncommitted in the challenge and generally looked like they would rather be sunning themselves at the beach than playing football.

Even more frustrating was that Morton were awful.  I lost count of the number of times they passed directly to one of our players or played a ball into space where they didn't have anyone making a move, but we did nothing to capitalise on that.

Dodds plays the cheery chappy card a lot, but sometimes players need a reality rocket.  The whole pamper and cuddle players and you'll get the best out of them doesn't wash with me, and the expectation that fans shouldn't show their discontent is all part of how soft society is getting on everything.  When nobody is making themselves accountable, then discipline and hard work go out the window.  FWiW, I think this is a culture that is feeding down from the very top at ICTFC.

Strap in, because the club have boxed themselves in on all sides and it's going to be a long hard season on and off the park.

• Well Said 1

Chalmers is a big miss for us and we have not recruited a replacement. I thought Shaw was showing promise when he came on.  I thought Danny Devine could have done better than Carson in that game there.

So we have a few big players out - Welsh, Walsh, Sutherland & Doran. Can the club look to our new physio for an injury resilience programme? I’m far from an expert but there must be a strength, cardio and flexibility plan to prevent such reoccurring issues and perhaps this is already a thing. As one other poster said, injuries are costing us big time.

It was a bit baffling having Barry, Kel and Dodds all trying to mastermind the game and that’s the best three heads came up with. Ryan Esson must be doing a superb job as GK coach though as Mark Ridgers made some superb stops and commanded well. 

I don't think Chalmers is as big a miss as some make out. He did score some cracking goals but sometimes he did often go missing in games. That said, his finishes were the result of not being afraid to have a crack at goal and I felt we were pretty hesitant at times to pull the trigger on Saturday and he would still be a better option than Boyd or Shaw from the little I have seen from them.

Saturday was just very deflating. After being sworded so convincingly by Partick I was expecting a reaction from the players and the manager and there was just nothing whatsoever on show. We were so timid (a word I think Dodds used post match) and meekly pawed at the Morton defence without breaking through. It was an utterly unenthralling 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

If you commented, then you are possibly in the report...

Perhaps Mr Dodds should read you match reports, he might get more of an insight from them that what he currently sees on the pitch as from recent viewing he learns nothing from the touchline.

There's certainly more effort put into your match reports that's for sure.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Just listened to Dodds interview and it makes me really uncomfy.

First off, talk about being men etc. has no place in modern society, how about you just ask them to be footballers!!  If they want a demonstration on how to fight for results week in week out, may I suggest they head along and watch our women's team?  It also all seems to be about how older players didn't lead enough and young players were getting overwhelmed, the referee decisions, the phase of the moon and the colour of the grass.  At no point did he even consider that he might have got the tactics wrong.

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic