Motherwell -V- Inverness CT - LC

tm4tj

Oh no, another game incoming

On the back of a couple of desperate results, we now have the daunting task of travelling to Fir Park to face Premiership side Motherwell in the knock out stages of the League Cup. We have often succeeded when the chips are down, however even our most optimistic of fans are struggling to see how we can change our fortunes given our current resources and desire. Poor showings against Partick Thistle and Morton in the Championship were not ideal preparation for the trip to Motherwell and many frustrated fans will be giving this a body swerve. It's almost as if the team won't give full commitment to the cause, why should the fans spend their hard earned cash to flog the dead donkey.

Anyway, we live in eternal hope, but maybe this simply won't be our year.

Motherwell have been blowing hot and cold recently and two late goals for Kilmarnock saw them go down 2-1 on Saturday. Dumped out of Europe by Sligo Rovers, they opened their Premiership campaign at Paisley with a 1-0 win. Followed that by losing at home to St Johnstone before stunning Aberdeen at Pittodrie by 2-3. A 1-0 win over Livingston preceded the Killie game giving them 3 wins and 2 losses.

Our own form to be honest has been luke warm and ice cold in equal portions, however the last two games have shown us to be ill-prepared for the battle and I fear for us going to Fir Park on Tuesday night. The best we can hope for is a break from our Championship chores and come out refreshed for the rigours of going to Starks Park at the weekend. If not, it could be a long week.

Latest Team News

Little movement on the injury front, let's see what Dodds has to say about that ahead of this fixture, or maybe just the usual smoke screens.

• Thank You 1

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

Up until the Partick game and watching that debacle on TV I'd have fancied our chances, but not anymore. It will need a remarkable change of form even to get this tie to pens and I don't think Mr Dodds has the motivational skills in his locker to make that happen. It really depends on the team Motherwell put out against us rather than what we put out against them. As it stands I can't see beyond a Motherwell win. But, this is ICT were talking about so anything can happen. 

• Well Said 1

17 minutes ago, Northern_jaggie said:

We really need a win to pick us all up after all the on and off field shenanigans. Let’s hope it happens tonight for us

It's tomorrow night :smile:

• Well Said 1

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Who remembers this one..

Aug 9th 1997 League Cup (Rd 2) p 2 - 2  (A)    4,247  

or this one

Sep 22nd 2009 League Cup (Rd 3) 2 - 3 aet  (A)    3,905  

I remember the first one in 1997 which was my first trip to Fir Park a great game plenty of action and we felt very unlucky to loose!  I am not building up my hopes for tomorrow night though but fingers crossed.

The club are not any financially stronger after the concerts and with electricity costs increasing substantially for floodlights it is likely to make matters worse. Will some clubs seek to play games at noon during the winter to save costs? A new right back is therefore very unlikely. So perhaps we will see Wallace back there tonight, Danny in the back four, and David in for Roddy. We can but hope although the signs are not too good. 

What a tremendous video that was Rig, let it run through and watch the title run in with Clyde. Brings a tear to a glass eye. Fantastic stuff.

Tonights games

Hearts v Killie

Livingston v Dundee Utd

Motherwell v Inverness

County v Celtic

Last Night

Annan 1-4 Aberdeen (aet)

Dundee 3-0 Falkirk  

Partick 1-0 Arbroath

Rangers 3-1 Queens

I’m going to be ridiculously happy flappy here. I think there will be a few changes - maybe Carson in to midfield to give a bit of bite and support hopefully this lets Roddy move a bit further forward. 
Really hope Devine is fit so we can get Duffy at right back. 
They’ve got nothing to lose. 1-1 extra time. Penalties. Allardice to score the final one to take us through. 
A few weeks ago we were looking good and qualified undefeated in the group stages. Two bad games do not make a season. Unless Ofcourse you get beat 9-0. 

• Thoughtful 1
  • Facepalm 1

56 minutes ago, FrontRow said:

They’ve got nothing to lose

I hate this saying, while I know what you mean they do have a lot to lose and apart from being knocked out of the cup it's the effect that a defeat or even a heavy defeat can have on the team. Not to mention the fact they should be playing for personal pride.

57 minutes ago, FrontRow said:

A few weeks ago we were looking good and qualified undefeated in the group stages. Two bad games do not make a season. Unless Ofcourse you get beat 9-0. 

It's not just two bad games though, apart from the Cove game we've not been good enough in the league. 

I don't hold any optimism for this game at all, maybe that's a good thing as I can't then be disappointed but we've been here before with regards to results.

Is it too much to ask for us to perform as a team and show some heart and desire, maybe a bit of hard work and determination? 

• Agree 1

I share the pessimism of others (and have unusually predicted a defeat on Gringo’s NPL) but maybe, just maybe, the penny will have dropped after the last two games in particular that things need to change.

The last time we changed formation was the first half of the home game against St Johnstone, when we went 3 5 2, and that didn’t work and we thankfully changed at half time.

Tonight, and until we have steadied the ship, we need three in the middle, with wide players dropping back and pushing up, so a flexible 4 5 1 / 4 3 3 formation.

I’m not sure how fit Devine is, but I’d start him if possible, allowing Duffy to be at right back and Carson in the middle. If we can’t get 90 minutes from Devine, we have Delaney who can come in.

Without Samuels, it’s a chance for the likes of Shaw, Boyd and Mackay to show what they can do.

We also had Doran and Hyde out on Saturday, presumably injured, but I’d like to see us go with:

Ridgers

Duffy Devine Deas Harper

Boyd Carson Allardice MacGregor Mackay

Mckay

with Boyd, MacGregor and Mackay getting forward when possible to support Mckay. 

5 minutes ago, caley1 said:

so would 1 sooner the better or the season will be too far gone . So should have got rid of the clown Dodds last year. 

Don't forget it would cost the club money to pay him off which might be a problem just now.

• IBM unfeatured and unpinned this topic