Motherwell -V- Inverness CT - LC

tm4tj

I hate to say it but if we lose at Raith on Saturday I will be joining the ranks of those calling for a change of Manager.

Tonight is irrelevant in terms of importance, nice though cup runs are, but if we fall off the pace any further in the league that is a problem.

We are too one dimensional and teams know how to play against us, and it is starting to be our downfall.

I still think we’ve a decent squad that can challenge for promotion, but the tactics and formation have to be right. At present we are getting that wrong.

I’m keen to hear what those there tonight think of how we’ve performed and about the motivation and body language of the players. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

4-0. Full time.

Oh well. Maybe what we expected after recent events but we only had one attempt in the whole game.

Some soul searching required by those in charge before this season becomes a write off or even a relegation battle. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

Cue Dodds' usual "It's no like us" p1sh. This being the 3rd time we've shipped 4 in the last 11 competitive matches. The club needs radical change from top to bottom but clearly nothing will change any time soon. A truly depressing state of affairs.

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

Calum Mackay on for his brother. Throwing a kid in at 4-0 down??

Meanwhile Boyd has joined Deas in the ref’s book. 

I say,

Deas getting a yellow card. That's about as guaranteed as him lumping the ball up the park to nobody in particular. 

Eh what? 🧐 

I fully expected us to lose tonight, but thought we’d do better than we did.

We were hard to beat last season but teams don’t need to do anything special to get a comfortable win against us at the moment, and that is worrying.

• Agree 1

On my way back from the game and here is my take. We were away from against a solid premiership team who were organised and schooled and had a Harry Kane lookalike in command. We were fortunate to keep it to four goals - it could have been 6-7 at half time. Sure we looked better in the second half but the game was over, Well had moved into second gear and it had become a training exercise and a chance to ring the changes. Our only real worthy effort was a shot from Billy McKay in the second half which was easily saved. The first half performance must rate as one of the worst 45 minutes that I have ever witnessed. Well simply tore us apart and the tactics employed by Dodds were simply nonsensical and made worse that he persisted when it was clear that Well had sussed us and were playing into the wide open spaces left by our sheer amateurism. Dodds played Devine and Deas as tight central defenders but then he played Harper and Duffy wide on the touch line and in advanced wing back type positions. Motherwell got in behind them time and time again and we were only saved by a number of desperate clearances by Deas or Devine. Motherwell also had pace on the wings and hit our bye line with ease. As I said it could have been a massacre at half time. And McGregor was clearly limping from the fifth minute and how he lasted till half time was incredible. In the second half we looked better without really improving. I would toss a coin between the two Mckays for MOM purely for their effort. Follow that with a toss up between Carson and Allardyce who again put in a lot of effort but are not ball players or capable of the odd piece of class. There simply did not appear to be any real desire or confidence. There were a number of squabbles and there did not appear to be anybody taking charge. In a nutshell the heads went down and it felt that we were going through the game with no thought of winning. Big changes are needed and I am not referring to the players - who are also dropping like flies. 

• Like 4
  • Thank You 3

I am not joking but it looked like we started in  2-4-2-1-1 formation. The first penalty was clear cut but there was a clear foul on Carson before the second. To be fair the referee was very poor and gave some questionable decisions both ways. Another good away support which won’t last unfortunately.

I didn't see the game tonight, but it's what I expected. We have the majority of possession in most games, but it's what you do with that possession that matters, and in most cases we just pass it back and forth across the back four, then, once we let the opposition get back into their shape, we revert to Hoofball and their centre backs gobble it up! Gone are the days of hitting teams hard and fast, before they can get organised. If I recall correctly, Dodds said at the start of the season that, he was happy with his new recruits, getting all the targets he was looking for and getting them in early, well, going by what I have seen this season, he must look for something different in a player than I do, because none of them have shown me anything to get me excited about. We have regressed badly from last season, yes,I know we have injuries, but Dodds has repeatedly stated that he is happy with the squad, so the other players should come in and grab the shirt, but it's just so passionless dull football that is served up. Let's be honest, we get the majority of players that nobody else wants, players who are looking to relight their careers, it has worked in the past, but I fear, it won't be this season. My only hope is that we can get some loan signings in like last season, because, let's be honest, Logan Chalmers and Reece Mcalear were quality players for us, and it's quality that we are sadly lacking at the moment in time. As for folk talking about getting rid of Dodds, that is cloud cuckoo land, the club does not have the finances to pay him off and hire a new coach, that nearly crippled the club a few seasons ago. The only way that will happen is if he had a better offer from someone else, and I just can't see that happening, but if it did happen, I would like to see the whole coaching team changed, a new fresher outlook is needed, everything is just so stale. Maybe we will batter Raith on Saturday, and we will kick on and bask in the sunny uplands! But I won't be holding my breath.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

Last season six (I think) Championship clubs changed their Manager when things were not going right. Many have budgets as tight as ours.

It comes down to ambition. If we just accept that we are where we are, we will drift. Teams with bigger resources than us have found they can’t survive the Championship: just look where Falkirk and Dunfermline are. We could easily be next.

If we want to progress, we need to be brave and take some risks and face up to decisions that need to be taken. That is real life for the Board whether they like it or not.

I’m not normally in the “change the Manager” camp but, as I said above, Saturday will put me in it if we lose to Raith. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Well Said 1

Dodds' tactics tonight were an absolute joke. You could clearly see that both Harper and Duffy looked shellshocked and all that the players did at the goals and the number of near misses was to look bemused with a "what the feck are we doing" expression. I know that we cant afford to pay off Dodds but can we afford to keep him. He has clearly lost the dressing room and the majority of the support. Worrying times. Perhaps I am now going a tad over the top but some players may welcome a knock and the opportunity to drop out for a spell ??!!

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

I'm with @No Shin Guardshere, it's time for change and if that means paying compensation then so be it, either that or force the dud to resign because this is a disaster waiting to happen ffs!

I don't get this pish about players being affected by the events off field because that has nothing to do with them, they need to concentrate on their own issues and tbh A LOT are not pulling their weight, and i include players like Ridgers and Carson in that!

I also don't buy the pish about "not being able to afford to pay off Dudds", well we can't afford relegation either plus Utd sacked Ross when they are as skint as us, we just can't carry on like this!

What i don't agree with is appointing Jack Ross, we need someone that has been successful, my choicewould be Tommy Wright or if we'regoing down the rookie route then perhaps Beuzelin (i can'tremember his first name) @No Shin Guards

• Funny 1

15 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

I'm with @No Shin Guardshere, it's time for change and if that means paying compensation then so be it, either that or force the dud to resign because this is a disaster waiting to happen ffs!

I don't get this pish about players being affected by the events off field because that has nothing to do with them, they need to concentrate on their own issues and tbh A LOT are not pulling their weight, and i include players like Ridgers and Carson in that!

I also don't buy the pish about "not being able to afford to pay off Dudds", well we can't afford relegation either plus Utd sacked Ross when they are as skint as us, we just can't carry on like this!

What i don't agree with is appointing Jack Ross, we need someone that has been successful, my choicewould be Tommy Wright or if we'regoing down the rookie route then perhaps Beuzelin (i can'tremember his first name) @No Shin Guards

Are you paying? We don't have any money!!!

As for folk mentioning Jack Ross .......cloudcuckoo land springs to mind!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

Again from the BBC app, which reinforces feedback from those unlucky enough to have endured that tonight:

Kevin van Veen scored a hat-trick as Motherwell breezed past Inverness Caledonian Thistle and into a Scottish League Cup quarter-final with Celtic.

Dutch forward Van Veen gave the hosts an early lead and scored a penalty in each half as the hosts ran riot.

An own goal from Inverness captain Daniel Devine for Motherwell's second summed up the Championship visitors' evening.

Motherwell will now host the holders in a tie played from 18-20 October.

The home side gave a debut to Ipswich loanee Matt Penney and he looked the part at left-back, getting a lot of joy down that side of the pitch. 

But Motherwell's opener came after great work on the right flank. Joe Efford produced the cut-back for Van Veen and the striker was unmarked to fire in his fifth goal of the season. More was to come from him. 

Not to be outdone on the other wing, Penney showed great pace as he burst forward. His cross was a good one and not dealt with at all well by Devine as he turned into his own net.

It was so comfortable for Motherwell and the visitors had little answer to the home side's intensity and desire. 

A third goal was coming and it duly arrived before the break. Robbie Deas tripped Sean Goss and there was only one man who was going to take the penalty. Step forward Van Veen for his second goal.

It was all but game over and Van Veen capped a great night with his third. His ball into the box hit the arm of David Carson and another spot-kick was the result. Van Veen netted again, to wrap up the win and claim the match ball.

Motherwell looked for more goals, despite making a raft of changes - including a debut for 16-year-old Lennon Miller, son of former Aberdeen and Falkirk player Lee. 

Stuart McKinstry also made a first appearance, while Rolando Aarons made his second club debut after re-joining on loan from Huddersfield.

Motherwell manager Steven Hammell: "We played with a style and a confidence that I enjoyed watching. Kevin van Veen's in a good place just now. When you see him standing over a penalty, you always fancy him.

"If we want to be successful in this tournament, we're going to need to play some good teams. We've got a lot to do between now and then but when it comes, we'll be ready to get after it.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager Billy Dodds: "Motherwell were good but I think we can do things better. We were slack in a couple of the goals we gave away. We lost bad goals, it gave them a lift. 

"I thought we were unlucky for the [second] penalty. As much as Motherwell were good, they don't need a helping hand."

7 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Are you paying? We don't have any money!!!

As for folk mentioning Jack Ross .......cloudcuckoo land springs to mind!! 

Did you read the whole post ffs because if you did you'd see that I say we could force the dud to resign in order to avoid compensation package!

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

Did you read the whole post ffs because if you did you'd see that I say we could force the dud to resign in order to avoid compensation package!

It doesn’t work like that.

• Agree 1

Post match comments from Dodds are absolutely delusional, and again there's not the lightest consideration to the fact that our biggest issue is our setup and tactics.

Comment previously about how off field events might be effecting players I think are correct.  As in any work place, when the company appears to be in trouble, the staff start to worry and it effects performance.  Especially hard to ask staff to work hard(er) when the bosses are bringing things down around their ears.  If/when the sh*t hits the fan, it's not the CEO and Sporting Director who will be expected to take pay cuts or be transferred off somewhere else.  There comes a time, and I think we are there, when the players must wonder what the point is of busting a gut when they're being asked to play in a way that is clearly not working, for a club that's self harming and jeopardising everything.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 3

• IBM unfeatured and unpinned this topic