Partick Thistle Friday night

tm4tj

Battle of the Jags

After three away day wins on the trot in the Championship, it's the battle of the Jags this Friday night at the Caledonian Stadium, or as it's now known as, The Vaccination Derby. Kick-off is at 7:45 and this game will be shown live on the BBC Scotland channel. Partick are steaming ahead at the top of the table after a crushing 5-1 defeat of Morton last weekend and we have managed to get back on track after losing 4-1 to Partick on the 19th of August, the start of a three game losing sequence. Since then Partick have gone to the top of the table and we have won our last three, all away from home and will be looking to close the gap at the top. Should make for good viewing and will give us an idea how we are coping with our extensive injury problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MATCH/TICKET INFO

Venue H2H v Partick Thistle Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 23 10 6 7 37 33 +4
Away 23 6 6 11 24 34 -10
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 46 16 12 18 61 67 -6

Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Partick Thistle
loss.png
1 - 4
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(A)
draw.png
3 - 3
(H)
draw.png
0 - 0
(A)
win.png
3 - 1
(H)
loss.png
1 - 3
(A)
loss.png
1 - 3
(H)
win.png
2 - 1
(A)

Home advantage is normally a good indicator in these fixtures although our biggest defeat was a 0 - 4 encounter back in 2014:

CTO report: OUCH!  Inverness fans took a sore one as they watched their team being dismantled by an energetic Partick Thistle in the battle of the Jags. It was a day to forget for the Caley Jags side as their unbeaten home run was ended in spectacular style by a team that have sussed us out big time. While we tapped the ball around the back quarter in tentative style, Partick's cut and thrust won the day and they deservedly crushed us 4-0. Much of this was down to our own error ridden display, but take nothing away from Partick, they took full advantage of the situation and trounced us with their high intensity pressing game. Partick just seem to have our number this season and I can't say I am looking forward to the Cup game in February. We need to try and find a way to combat the apparent high intensity, pressing game that they employ against us otherwise we will be getting thrashed again in a couple of months. Two first half goals from Ryan Stevenson were added to after the break by Gary Fraser and Conrad Balatoni. Inverness had a couple of strikes ruled out for interference by Billy McKay from a Raven shot and a couple of interlopers who took to the field to relieve the boredom. (naughty boys, don't do this at home children).

Biggest Victories
Apr 30th, 2016 League (A) 4 - 1
Jan 10th, 2009 Scottish Cup (Rd 4) (H) 3 - 0
Apr 27th, 2002 League (H) 3 - 0
Heaviest Defeats
Dec 13th, 2014 League (H)

0 - 4

There was a couple of eye brow raising results this midweek in the Championship

Cove R 3-1 Dundee

Queens 1-2 Morton

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Partick Thistle 8 5 2 1 21 11 17
2. Queens Park 9 5 1 3 14 13 16
3. Ayr United 8 4 2 2 14 11 14
4. Inverness CT 8 4 2 2 12 9 14
5. Dundee 9 4 1 4 16 14 13
6. Cove Rangers 9 3 2 4 14 14 11
7. Morton 9 3 2 4 9 13 11
8. Raith Rovers 8 3 0 5 8 11 9
9. Hamilton Ac. 8 1 4 3 7 12 7
10. Arbroath 8 1 2 5 5 12 5

FRIDAY 7TH OCTOBER

Inverness CT v Partick Thistle 

SATURDAY 8TH OCTOBER

Arbroath v Dundee

Ayr Utd v Queen's

Morton v Accies

Raith v Cove

LAST TIME OUT

Partick romped to the top of the table on their own with an emphatic 5-1 thrashing of Morton at Firhill and they even had the luxury of a missed penalty on the hour from Kevin Holt. Morton took an early lead through Robbie Muirhead in the 17th minute and this must have annoyed the Jags. They responded with strikes from Brian Graham and Holt before the break. Aaron Muirhed Scott Tiffoney and Anton Dowds completed the rout after the interval to boost Partick's goal difference to a massive +10 this early in the season. Last time we met we were disappointing and were brushed aside by a confident Partick side 4-1 at Firhill. Meh!

Inverness are on a triple roll with the last game being a carbon copy of the previous two on the road at Starks Park and Dens Park. Instrumental in those victories has been re-incarnated left sided midfielder Cammy Harper who is revelling in his new roll with Zak Delaney covering the left back berth at the moment. Two sublime left peg strikes at Dens Park and and a deft glanced header at Somerset Park last weekend are becoming the trademark of Cammy as he relishes his elevated status.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Still out will be Shane Sutherland, Tom Walsh, Sean Welsh and probably  Austin Samuels although Welsh and Samuels should be back sooner rather that later................ hopefully.

Eric's quickie on Partick Thistle:  As alluded to by tm4tj (aka the Boss) I did rather present an epic tome of "War and Peace" proportions to the reader(s) last week regarding squad changes at Ayr United.

This week it's only a one liner. There are no apparent changes to the Partick Thistle squad since the last fixture away to Partick on the 26th of August...... Hooray!

However, Partick are the form team just now with a good blend of experience and quality. Brian Graham has always troubled us with his sheer hammer thrower bulk. Scott Tiffony is a bag of tricks and Anton Dowds will score coming off the bench. Steven Lawless and Stuart Bannigan amongst others provide experience in abundance. They are certainly heading in the right direction at the moment and will be a stern test for the Caley Jags.

• Like 1

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

I really enjoyed the game and performance, and we deserved the win. Partick created a few early chances but we then kept them very quiet until after we were ahead, and Ridgers didn’t really have any saves of note to make.

Our attitude was spot on and I thought everyone played their part.

We kept Tiffoney quiet and they sacrificed him at half time: well done to Carson, with help from Boyd, for that.

We kept Graham under control: well done to Deas and Duffy for that.

Delaney, other than one or two slack passes late on impressed again, and was always looking for the ball.

Our midfield was competitive, with Harper having one great effort on goal and Allardice is getting back to how he performed before his injury.

Some of the touches from Mackay and MacGregor were excellent, whilst the work rate of the front four was immense. Special mention to Mckay who ran his socks off and took his goal very well.

Ridgers did what he needed to without any fuss.

The subs played their part too.

It is a concern if Devine is on crutches, but in fairness Duffy fulfilled that role very well tonight.

12 points out of 12 is brilliant, given how we were feeling a few weeks ago. Now we need to maintain tonight’s performance level and cement our position at the right end of the table.

And credit to the ref who I thought had a good game. He saw some of Partick’s cynical challenges and time wasting (at 0-0) and in particular the studs up challenge for the sending off.

Having been up from 0430 and been to Glasgow and back, it was just the tonic I needed.

Now rounding the day off with a celebratory beer (or two).

Well done to one and all!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

A difficult game against a tough side who cheat more than most and waste time who were happy to play out for a draw after going down to ten men although I had to laugh at their keeper who was running to take free kicks after Billy scored :lol:

Well done to all the team for getting the three points we deserved tonight :clapping:

Just to add I have no idea what Ian McColl was on about a penalty incident :yawn01:

Edited by IBM
Addition
  • Agree 2

Best team performance of the season so far, patient with the ball,  organised without it. More than matched Patrick in the first half, won all the match ups we needed to. 

Slackened off 2nd half, seemed to be confused how to exploit the numerical advantage. 

Lots of crosses from both wings, many with no end result, I felt we needed a pass through the middle to open them up properly but Im not sure we have that sort of player who can deliver these balls and that is probably the only reason I miss Liam Polworth.

Credit to our captain for his running, hold up and link play. Some shift he put in again and rewarded with a finely taken goal.

Slightly shaky last 10, but multiple substitutions don't help when youre trying to see the game out.

Ian McCall.

Tube.

Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

A superb three points, to add to our nine we won on the road previously, I hope that this is the start of our winning streak, that can keep us in the title hunt.

Every player gets pass marks from me tonight, but I thought Billy, Dan, Scott and Robbie were the picks for me. I agree, I thought the referee had a good game, he let the play flow, and you didn't notice him too much, the sign of a ref who's in control, McColl is just a bitter little man.

Note to myself, I really need to re-examine my winter wardrobe, or put on another few layers, it was freezing, and it's only October!

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Robert said:

I feel he is one of our underrated players. 

Duffy has not been first pick for a centre back spot from our management team and has filled in at right back maybe to his detriment resulting in much derision.

Today he put Brian Graham in a cell, winning all of his aerial duels in the first half, having many successful challenges and also covering Tiffoney very well 3 times Carson was out of position or Tiffoney slipped inside. 

Today he talked all game correcting the position of everyone around him and leading the line.

He was not a young defender.

He was THE defender with everyone working around and with him.

As big a step up as Harpers midfield performances. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

All I can say is what a fantastic win and massive 3pts so my ploy of always calling for change worked again though it's time I stopped using that lol.

I will say that the Jags are one dirty team, they were targeting our players and rightly got a man sent off, htf can McCall argue with the sending off, it was clear and as for the penalty appeal, Michael Stewart made a good point in saying that Cammy was pulling his leg away so again the ref got it right.

• Agree 3

A really significant win, with Samuels still to come back. No failures last night, a real team effort against the media darlings. Nice to see Allardice coming back to form and Cammy continues to grow in confidence, as does Delaney. Ridgers could have watched the game on the telly for all he had to do. Even as the clock ticked past the 70 minutes I felt the goal would come.

Dan still pulling off the tricks he's done several times this season and panicking dumplings like McMillan into rash fouls. I was yelling at him to skin Akinola and skin him he did. It was like the old days of us telling Stewartie to lob Hutchison. Roddy is a real gem and I rated him higher than Dan before he left for Hibs. Just needs to follow Dan's example and bulk up a bit. Duffy was decent considering his lack of experience and who he was marking. Deas may well depart in the next window but what a rock, although running around like an angry Rambo makes him (apparently) the most booked player in the league.

Still not sure about Boyd, we got stick from other fans for signing him. A tidy wee player but his decision making is poor. Likewise Shaw. never seen a more awkward looking footballer since Ally Scott appeared for Rangers back in the 70s. Still I suppose we've had other players who have proved everybody wrong.

But finally a word for the legend that is Billy. His 33 year old legs covered every blade of grass on the pitch and given one sniff he took it as you knew he would. Maybe he'll catch Denzil yet.
On to the Balmoral next Saturday then.

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic