Site errors

tm4tj

On 10/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, DoofersDad said:

I've had problems today trying to respond to a PM and signing up as a site sponsor.  Pages become unresponsive.

I do see it in the system but for whatever reason you did not get to / go to Paypal: This link may allow you to try again Orders - CaleyThistleOnline

I have nothing anywhere showing any issue. Not disputing you but there is nothing for me to troubleshoot ... site normal, no errors in the logs on server or in the forum software

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

site no busy this morning around 11:00am, but i cant get anything done. Page just freezes before i can save anything. Works better on non admin stuff.

What is it you are trying to do? Maybe I can try and break it too and see if that gives me a clue. 

Took about an hour to do 15 minutes work adding new preview.

Like Gringo, no error message, but page was unresponsive on editing and couldn't save what I had typed. But i could open new windows and look at other forums. I went back to page a dozen times and most of what i had typed was still in editor. Pain in the arseum.

No error codes like previous, but a wee window comes up telling me site is unresponsive with two buttons on it, 'wait' or 'exit' If i press wait, it takes a minute or two to display same window. Only way to get going again is to press exit and hope the site comes back.

Also had this error window pop up when trying to reply to this message.

1 hour ago, tm4tj said:

Took about an hour to do 15 minutes work adding new preview.

Like Gringo, no error message, but page was unresponsive on editing and couldn't save what I had typed. But i could open new windows and look at other forums. I went back to page a dozen times and most of what i had typed was still in editor. Pain in the arseum.

Do you have any kind of adblocker or script blocker running? What browser are you using. Put simply, I can see no server-side errors on this occasion and no software-based errors, so I have nothing to go on.  This also brings the browser itself, or any plugins you may use on your browser into play.  I may have an article to post later today, just waiting on confirmation of some facts so will see if it breaks for me. 

36 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

No error codes like previous, but a wee window comes up telling me site is unresponsive with two buttons on it, 'wait' or 'exit' If i press wait, it takes a minute or two to display same window. Only way to get going again is to press exit and hope the site comes back.

I get that sometimes and its not always the site. sometimes its my browser or badly cached data. This is not so much a needle in a haystack as it is a needle in a silo full of haystacks but I will keep looking to see if i can find it. 

56 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

That's exactly what I get. My drivel stayed in the editor once the page reloaded. I posted the NPL Game update without adding the Pin and Lock time. It seemed to post ok with that omission. I then used the Edit to add it in and it worked.

I'm using Windows 10 if this helps and have cleared the cache thingybob 

50 minutes ago, Gringo said:

That's exactly what I get. My drivel stayed in the editor once the page reloaded. I posted the NPL Game update without adding the Pin and Lock time. It seemed to post ok with that omission. I then used the Edit to add it in and it worked.

I'm using Windows 10 if this helps and have cleared the cache thingybob 

ok, will try to see if I can break things and then fix them 🙂

I've just had very similar to tm4tj and Gringo when trying to post a new thread on the Betting Forum for this weekend's NAPs - page becomes unresponsive, get a pop-up message asking me if I want to wait or exit.

Can't do anything on the page but when I closed it, re-opened the page and started a new thread again everything I had previously typed was there except for the title.

This is what I get when I exited through the error message.

I'm no way computer programme literate, this is just feedback. On Windows 10 and use Microsoft Edge.

image.png

A quick google (or Bing) search of 'result_code_hung' suggests this is a corrupted extension on either the Chrome or Edge browser as the most likely cause. As both are built on the same Chromium platform then they share this same error.  Microsoft have helpfully closed down most community threads about this error but a search will reveal this and other solutions. I would suggest disabling all browser extensions, then enabling them one by one to see if you get this same error.   

I only have two extensions on chrome and one is already disabled. The other is a twitter switch accounts ext.

It's only on CTO that i get these issues of site hanging. Did some editing on chrome ad blocker in privacy settings to see if that helps. Disabled default block ads settings.

Same difference still getting pages going unresponive.

do you get an error like the one above also or anything else? 

Is it just when using the editor and posting an article or topic? 

Does it happen on all 3 themes? CTO Default, CTO alternate and IPS default? 

I have tried to break things and no luck so far. Will keep trying.

Mostly on editor, but sometimes if i have been off the page then go back to it all i can do is move it up and down but none of the buttons work or i cant copy, usually just shut the page to move on. When hovering over submit reply i dont get the hand icon appearing. Basicaly cant do anything with it. It's also happened on this topic before.

Think i have seen that error message before.

yes, looking at the 22 after the Google chrome name means you either have a s***-ton of tabs open or a lot of extensions. Likely the former given you say only 2 extensions are loaded. Each tab uses resources and memory and can cause slowness and unresponsiveness. If you click the > arrow next to google chrome you can see what each of the 22 resources are.   

Doesnt really tell me anything unfortunately. I think I have 6 or 7 extensions enabled in chrome and when i launched it a few minutes ago with no homepage open it launches about 15 processes. There is one each for each of the extensions. It launches 8 processes alone when its prompting me on startup as to which user is logging in (me, my son, my son's school account, or a guest). When i click on CTO in my bookmarks it actually goes down. Software Reporter is another Chrome tool that is to do with software not the webpage you are visiting and thats where your high use is coming from.

If you right-click on the headings at the top and enable the option to show command line you may get an idea of what's running. In my case, launching on our corporate home page with all visible extensions disabled it shows this. the first 6 are somewhat self-explanatory - utilities and other system requirements to run chrome. the two marked renderer look like they are display related. Not really sure. The highlighted process is the only one that opens when CTO is opened as that's the tab itself. 

image.png

If I go to the details tab I see that each of these are using up a fair bit of memory. Maybe not right this second, but it all adds up ! 

image.png

If I re-enable all the extensions, you can see I now have a ton of 'extension-process' but still only the one process for CTO.

image.png

I also note you have McAfee services running and MMSSHOST.exe (the executable behind this) is known to cause problems on some Windows10 machines with high usage, although yours does look minimal right now. I honestly can't comment on McAfee too much as I haven't used it in literally decades, but if using the firewall or any VPN services provided in their packages this can impact everything you do online. Making a guess here, and this is only one potential scenario... but if submitting something then it is possible MMSSHOST is scrutinising this as you try to upload, and this may make processor and memory usage go up and potentially cause a freeze. Not saying that is the cause, but if you hit 100% processor usage when using your machine, even for a few seconds, it means everything is having to wait in a queue a bit like a traffic jam.  That is part of what makes this troubleshooting a needle in a haystack. If I had errors on the server, or in the software I could follow that path, like I did with the "522" errors that were noted before. But right now, I have nothing and it could be any one (or more) of your machine, your software, your network, your router, your internet connection, the internet in general, the path taken to the server, the server itself, my configurations on the server, the website software ... etc (you get the drift). 

Like I say, will keep looking into any errors we encounter but some are harder to quantify than others so please add as much details as possible either in here or via PM if its something that someone doesnt want to share in the thread. 

On 10/25/2022 at 1:59 AM, Scotty said:

I do see it in the system but for whatever reason you did not get to / go to Paypal: This link may allow you to try again Orders - CaleyThistleOnline

Thanks Scotty, but no joy I'm afraid.  It takes me to the page but the entire page, including the menu bars become inactive.  Same happens when I refresh the page.  If I close the window and come back into CTO, I can navigate through the site OK, but when I use that route to get to "Store" and then "Orders" it becomes unresponsive.  Try as I might, your system is preventing me from giving you money!

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Thanks Scotty, but no joy I'm afraid.  It takes me to the page but the entire page, including the menu bars become inactive.  Same happens when I refresh the page.  If I close the window and come back into CTO, I can navigate through the site OK, but when I use that route to get to "Store" and then "Orders" it becomes unresponsive.  Try as I might, your system is preventing me from giving you money!

it's weird. I can't duplicate this at all, and a bunch of people have literally gone through this same process to do the player sponsorship.

I will try to take a look at this in depth during the week next week. I am in the office all this week so our firewall and connection does not lend itself to troubleshooting this and the short bursts of time I get at home in the evening dont allow a deep dive. I am working from home next week so can try to check and test on my own internet connection and not corporate connection.   

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

it's weird. I can't duplicate this at all, and a bunch of people have literally gone through this same process to do the player sponsorship.

I will try to take a look at this in depth during the week next week. I am in the office all this week so our firewall and connection does not lend itself to troubleshooting this and the short bursts of time I get at home in the evening dont allow a deep dive. I am working from home next week so can try to check and test on my own internet connection and not corporate connection.   

I've just tried again.  Initially I got a bit further but it froze on the page which should then take you to PayPal.  I refreshed the browser and managed to complete the transaction.  I use an iMac so I don't know if that would be relevant to the problem I was experiencing.  Anyhow, hopefully you will now have my payment.  Thanks again for your help, Scotty.

As you now show up as a 'site sponsor' then yes, i know it went through. will double check. Thank You. 

Are you using Safari then? or a different browser on your mac? I don't really encounter macs too often. never owned one and none in our corporate environment. 

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

As you now show up as a 'site sponsor' then yes, i know it went through. will double check. Thank You. 

Are you using Safari then? or a different browser on your mac? I don't really encounter macs too often. never owned one and none in our corporate environment. 

Yes, Safari.