Site errors

tm4tj

I noticed the site issues banner and not been too upset. But I hadn't noticed this thread before and a lot of it is over my head. Just wanted to add my tuppence worth:

1) An issue I had previously has recurred in the past week. It tells me to log in. As Scotty found before, I was never actually logged out, so I just ignore it.

2) I suspect I am no longer a site sponsor but can't recall any reminders. Would gladly renew. There was a previous issue that when I was a sponsor, my admin privileges disappeared.

3) Further to this, I'm getting ads between posts. There seems to be a suggestion above that this relates to not being a sponsor?

4) Occasional problems posting, as reported above. Page freezes and content is restored on refreshing the page. Sometimes takes several attempts. It actually happened while I was beginning this post. Safari on iMac and also on iPad.

5 hours ago, TheMantis said:

I noticed the site issues banner and not been too upset. But I hadn't noticed this thread before and a lot of it is over my head. Just wanted to add my tuppence worth:

1) An issue I had previously has recurred in the past week. It tells me to log in. As Scotty found before, I was never actually logged out, so I just ignore it.

Login is cookie related so I will typically just clear cookies and login again. I get this on a few sites, especially work-related ones where I might have multiple logins with different permissions (not the case here but just saying). Cookies seem to get confused or corrupted. 

2) I suspect I am no longer a site sponsor but can't recall any reminders. Would gladly renew. There was a previous issue that when I was a sponsor, my admin privileges disappeared.

Yes, the ranks are a little convoluted for those who are site or player sponsors, especially when people are part of multiple groups and may also be a mod or admin. Its supposed to auto-promote from full-member to player or site sponsor and each has different privileges. That works well. When you are in multiple groups i typically tweak it manually. 

3) Further to this, I'm getting ads between posts. There seems to be a suggestion above that this relates to not being a sponsor?

These are Google Auto-Ads. Everyone except site sponsor gets these (including mods/admin). 

4) Occasional problems posting, as reported above. Page freezes and content is restored on refreshing the page. Sometimes takes several attempts. It actually happened while I was beginning this post. Safari on iMac and also on iPad.

This is the one I am focusing on. I have not had problems posting but a couple of times I did notice I could not use the arrow keys to adjust my cursor position in the editor. Not sure if this is an editor issue, conflicting scripts, or something else but going to try and look at it and see if anyone else has reported it to the board software providers. I may need to reset the editor and go back to the default settings to see if that fixes it but will see where this leads.  

• Thank You 1

You feckin jinxed it now!! 

I did update the software version late last week so maybe there were some bug fixes that were undocumented that got things ticking along. That and I paid the bill for the next 12 months of hosting to our provider! ( :lol:

• Facepalm 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, IBM said:

I am still having difficulty when posting on the site and doing the PotY poll, getting the following error code.

Refresh.PNG

Had to google this one:

The error code: RESULT_CODE_HUNG probably shows up because of a corrupted extension installed in your browser. On this occasion, you’d better disable all the extensions in your browser and then enable them one by one to find out the problematic extension. It may take a long time. First of all, you need to disable all the extension in your browser.

How to Fix “RESULT_CODE_HUNG” Error on Chrome & Edge? (appuals.com)

How to Fix RESULT_CODE_HUNG in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge? (partitionwizard.com)

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

The problem of pages freezing has recurred and wondering if posting images has anything to do with it. Have just got a post done but it took several attempts.

Was/Were the image(s) from Facebook? I do see one entry in the system log (not an error log) that notes the issue below. This seems more like an issue receiving data from a facebook photo. 

https://graph.facebook.com/122778317770191/photos
Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

With me - Windows 10, Firefox, no extensions that I know of - when the site first is first loading I am now frequently getting the Firefox message that is something like "This page is slowing Firefox down.  Stop or wait for it to load?".   It must be having problems trying to load something - maybe external ads?  If I stop it and then refresh the page it usually loads OK.

I am also now seeing ads (actually copies of the same ad) between messages in a thread. This started a few days ago, so I guess you changed it.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Was/Were the image(s) from Facebook? I do see one entry in the system log (not an error log) that notes the issue below. This seems more like an issue receiving data from a facebook photo. 

https://graph.facebook.com/122778317770191/photos
Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received

No they were from my desktop on the “ICT players news”. It’s just that I haven’t had much problem with ordinary posts but twice recently I’ve used photos from Elgin games and also the Olde Inverness stuff.

The pattern’s always the same: insert the pics and the hyperlink/wee hand thingy for posting goes away. Refresh the page and it restores your content but same problem. Can’t erase the content, just try several times till it works.

8 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

With me - Windows 10, Firefox, no extensions that I know of - when the site first is first loading I am now frequently getting the Firefox message that is something like "This page is slowing Firefox down.  Stop or wait for it to load?".  

I got that message last night, I use Safari but tried FF to see if it helped. It didn’t solve the problem I described above.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:27 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

With me - Windows 10, Firefox, no extensions that I know of - when the site first is first loading I am now frequently getting the Firefox message that is something like "This page is slowing Firefox down.  Stop or wait for it to load?". 

Just had it again, a couple of times.  It's actually "This page is slowing down Firefox.  To speed up Firefox, stop this page.".  There isn't a "wait" option.  Firefox had 15 or 16 processes running - though I had only one tab open - and, at that time, one of them was using about 30% of CPU utilisation. 

When I first start it up and it's on the default Firefox home page, it has 8 processes running.  Right now it's 14, so coming here adds between 6 and 8.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

ok, thanks guys, thats more for me to dig into! ?I do wonder if it is ad related as thats the only thing I can think of that would be added or would add additional processes. There is a lot going on in the background when you load a page but those are really the only external things and as there are no site errors in the logs then its kind of the first place i need to look. 

The ads are auto added by google and I too have noticed the in-between threads ads which are too many. I may need to revert to manually placing them so I can control how many and where. 

• 1 month later...

Had forgotten about this but had it again today when posting the 'shoes off' graphic. Switching to my iPad worked but the desktop Mac was freezing on Safari and FF each time I tried to insert the image.

• 4 weeks later...

Three or four goes today to post Livi cup game on ICT forum. Kept hanging, asking me to wait or exit. Seems to be back to problems we had a couple of months ago. Is this something to do with advertising?

that is always a possibility. The ads are served externally so would not show up as a site error, but badly formed ads can cause problems. Would also explain some of the randomness. 

Lot of trouble trying to embed goals video to Livi report. Gave up after a while.

Also took a few goes to embed it on matchday topic on ICT forum.

Get trendy aw snap error message. Page hanging etc about 18:00 12/02/23

Error code: RESULT_CODE_HUNG