Accies at home Tuesday night

tm4tj

It proves that we have a poor squad, Outwith our top 13 or 14  the players I'll have to say are very ordinary !  Boyd was best by far but was let down by the poor midfield support for him. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

That was one of the worst performances from us for quite some time, there were no positives to take from this game, apart from it's over. Yes, we had injured players missing, but we showed nothing apart from our default setting of 'hoofball' rearing it's head for most of the game. Hamilton were by far the better team, they passed the ball better and created the better chances. We seem to be back to our way of beating the better teams and dropping points against teams in the bottom half of the table.

Dodds, is no tactician. He wasn't very animated on the touchline, so I take it that he was quite happy playing hoofball! He really needed to start with the best eleven on the park, get a hold of the game, and then defend it. What was Billy Mckay doing on the bench? Was Welsh fit enough? If not, why was he on the bench when the game was crying out for a player to take a hold of the midfield.

More injuries today, is there a problem with our training methods or do we just sign injury prone players that no-one else wants? We need to now work out a plan for Saturday, to not get beaten again, we had the chance to go top today, and blew it big time.

The game strategy was against Hamilton (like Morton), was ‘Hack and Hope’.

If this is the most competitive league in Scotland no wonder support is dwindling! 

Terrible night and it seems to be the same inconsistencies every season.

Plainly obvious that the fringe players are pretty average , but that said, they should at least be giving the bottom club a game.

We can count ourselves lucky it was only 1 .

IMO only Boyd and Delaney performed at an acceptable level, the rest WTF.

• Agree 1

A great chance to go clear top and we froze.Deleaney,Boyd and Ridgers get pass marks,the rest were woeful.From the first few minutes it was obvious the tactic was to boot the ball forward and chase it.It never works for us and even having a taller player than normal upfront as a target man it made no difference.Why we keep trying this is beyond me.The midfield were all posted as missing for the entire game and as for their goal,it was embarrassing from a defensive point of view.The hungrier team won and although no great shakes,they were better than us.This is not a top flight team and shows that outwith our first 11 we are just left with at best average players.I thought they would be so keen to show what they can do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You can always tell when ICT have had a stinker, Billy Dodds post match video takes ages to be aired, or at all, when we've been beaten, while it's out after a few hours when we win. That's the third game I've watched this season when the teams we were supposed to be better than, Morton, Brechin and Hamilton, have had a far better passing game than ours. None of them just kept booting the ball up the park, hoping that maybe something might happen, no, they try and play football. I've heard the excuses of injured players not being available, but surely it's a basic need for any player that plays for a professional team to be able to pass the ball to a team-mate, something we seem to be devoid of.

Dodds said before the season started that he was happy with the squad he had, and that there were battles for places in the first eleven all over the park, but, as I have said before, we have a very good first eleven, and after that we are very ordinary.

I feel that this was one of our best chances of promotion, as we are on par with most of the teams around us, but, I fear we will lose out again. If we win against our rivals for the title and get beaten at home by the bottom team, who were more game savy, and were the better team, it is not title winning credentials. Good teams find ways to win, or at least not to get beaten.

• Agree 1

On 10/17/2022 at 3:32 PM, Robert said:

Thanks as always Tm4tj, the stats are fascinating as always and highlight why we must not be complacent about tomorrow evening’s game.

I’m looking forward to it as I always enjoy evening games under the floodlights. 

Well, the fans weren’t complacent but perhaps the Management and squad were.

Equally I can’t say I enjoyed last night’s game under floodlights.

Reflecting on the game and the comments, I agree that Ridgers, Delaney and Boyd are those who get pass marks. Carson was the one trying to galvanise the team late on so deserves some credit too.

I’ve been to every home game, league and cup, and in eight games we’ve beaten Albion Rovers, Cove and Partick. We’ve beaten Cove and Brechin on penalties after drawing in normal time. We’ve drawn with Queens Park. We’ve lost to Morton and Hamilton.

I’d only consider the first half against Cove and the performance against Partick as being good performances.

We seem to be doing best away from home so we need find a way of getting the same results at home, and if that means grinding out results at home, so be it.

Hoofball, as described above, does not work for us. How are guys like Boyd and Doran going to win headers? We have decent players and need to play to their strengths.

The injury list is bad but not an excuse and it does concern me that we are picking so many injuries up.

I don’t know who will be fit for Saturday but if we don’t have Allardice or Welsh fit enough to be back, we need to move Carson in to midfield to beef things up.

We are still in a good position in the league, but need to build on it and not slip back further. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Different game?

The guys a clown. "we weren't quite at it"? They were as far off it as they could possibly be it's worrying how him and dodds stand at the sidelines watching, motionless whilst rankin and his coaches were shouting constantly at their side and they were playing the better football. 

• Agree 1

Wasn’t able to make this but listening to Barry Wilson it sounds an impossible job for them at the moment. They didn’t even know who was going to be able to take the pitch for KO. This is an injury crisis, no doubt. I think if the club could have afforded it they would have bought in some more seasoned pros knowing that two were definitely out till new year, and one, Welsh, was almost definitely going to be injured at some stage. 
we just need to stay in the mix and get folks back from the treatment table. 
The home atmosphere definitely needs addressed but I’m blowed if I can work out how to get folks vocal and supportive. 

• Agree 1

Hoofball has been a big feature of ICT for years. It rarely works and can't understand why that doesn't get through to players and management.

Get the point about injuries but we need to get a bit more variety into our game.

.....and sort out our pretty awful home form.

There are really no stand out teams so it's just about grinding out results and staying at or near the top.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, DWH said:

Hoofball has been a big feature of ICT for years. It rarely works and can't understand why that doesn't get through to players and management.

Get the point about injuries but we need to get a bit more variety into our game.

.....and sort out our pretty awful home form.

There are really no stand out teams so it's just about grinding out results and staying at or near the top.

We have always played better when we keep it on the deck. Our pitch was designed with the highest point in the middle and sloping off to the edges, partly (or mainly I suspect) due to drainage but it also means that a passing game using the width seems to work best on that pitch. Route one stuff has its place, even at ICT but it should not be the default tactic, especially when you dont exactly have tall attackers! 

• Agree 2

As I have said before, the injury situation is one of our own making as we sign way too many injured/injury prone players.  Of course there are players with injuries who don't fall into that category, but it's a strategy which will always leave us vulnerable, so we can't act all surprised and 'poor us' when it bites us on the ass.

What worries me is the comment by Barry Wilson that we have been playing players who are not fit.  Setting aside the welfare aspect of such a thing, and the idiocy of admitting it publicly, it can (again) be no surprise that these guys then get injured so quickly again.

Finally.  Is it just me, or have we been picking up more strain related injuries since we employed a dedicated sports scientist?

• Agree 5

5 minutes ago, STFU said:

As I have said before, the injury situation is one of our own making as we sign way too many injured/injury prone players.  Of course there are players with injuries who don't fall into that category, but it's a strategy which will always leave us vulnerable, so we can't act all surprised and 'poor us' when it bites us on the ass.

What worries me is the comment by Barry Wilson that we have been playing players who are not fit.  Setting aside the welfare aspect of such a thing, and the idiocy of admitting it publicly, it can (again) be no surprise that these guys then get injured so quickly again.

Finally.  Is it just me, or have we been picking up more strain related injuries since we employed a dedicated sports scientist?

Totally agree with all that 👏

3 hours ago, STFU said:

It is common knowledge that Devine played with a hernia problem.

Ram was struggling from very early in Tuesday’s game, so a sign he may not have been fully fit.

Duffy taking a knock in the warm up indicates he probably had an issue that was known about. Did he come back too early from injury?

Was Mckay on the bench as he’s not fully fit?

Welsh was on the bench but was clearly not fit enough to play given it was a game crying out for a player like him.

Did we bring MacGregor back too quickly, increasing the chance of him picking up another injury?

Likewise Samuels earlier in the season? He got subbed in consecutive games, I think, due to picking up injuries and we’ve not seen him since.

All questions but perhaps an indication that we are being too hasty?

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic