Raith at Home, Saturday

tm4tj

57 minutes ago, Caleyjag said:

Deas injury confirmed as a broken leg by the club.

That’s really bad news for Deas and the club. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

https://ictfc.com/club-statement-robbie-deas-injury

Time to get Lewis Nicolson back off loan to Elgin to give us cover so Delaney can slot in to left centre half.

Harper may need to step back to left back so hopefully Welsh is fit to start games. 

Edited by Robert

The injury to Robbie looked bad yesterday. However, he did walk out on crutches to a waiting car so we can but hope the healing process will be relatively straightforward. Another blow to Robbie and the club. We wish him well in his recovery. Unless some magic money materialises we are unlikely to be able to sign a short term replacement being a player of experience.  

12 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Anyone else shocked that he was even allowed to try to walk off the pitch? His leg was going under him. 

Same scenario as Dan Mackay on Tuesday. 

First rule assume worst until proven otherwise? 

Due to cutbacks the club no longer have a stretcher!    They tried to unscrew the changing room door but ran out of time.   Despite our injury ravaged squad the team did very well to gain a point and keep our record Vs Raith intact!  well done.

• Like 2
  • Thoughtful 1

7 hours ago, Caleyjag said:

Deas injury confirmed as a broken leg by the club.

Damn, we are unlucky this season! Gutted for Deas, my only small crumb of comfort, is that the severity of the break must be at the lower end of the scale. If that sounds nuts, I remember Ian Wright [Crystal Palace] breaking his leg twice in one season [1989-90] and he came back in the same season to score twice in the FA Cup Final!  My wife and I have already decided to come up for the last home match of the season, and I fully expect to see Robbie on the pitch.

Meanwhile we have to cobble together a defence, does anyone know the likely return dates for Devine and Duffy? Fortunately in Delaney we seem to have found another gem, looks like we are about to find out if Max Ram is the same. We then need a left back, is the young Strachan a viable option for a couple of weeks or so?  Keeping Harper in midfield on the left might be the stronger solution given a dearth of midfielder?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Damn, we are unlucky this season!

Really?

I'd say that we've been extremely lucky.  I posted on the Accies thread that I am of the view that the injury situation is one of our own making, and I stand by that.  Further highlighted by, and as has been pointed out by others, the fact we can't even show any kind of caution when it comes to removing injured players from the park.

All things considered, I'd say that we are VERY lucky to find ourselves top of the league.

Looking at the game specifically, and King Billy's comments after.  Why did we start with a new/different formation?  He's been banging on about how hard it has been to get players training.  Surely in that scenario you stick with what you know and what you've been working on the most?  He seemed to be shocked in his post match dithering that the players didn't just magically take to playing the 3-5-2 and he had to change it to the more familiar.  Duh!!!

The cracks are also starting to show in the 'players are good, honest, hard working laddies' p!sh that he churns out for every interview with criticism of players starting to creep in.

One last thing.  What happened between him and Ridgers?  Thought Ridgers was going to go over and lamp him at one point and it sounded like King Billy was threatening to hook him.  He even sent Cammy out to warm up in a petulant attempt to try and make some kind of point?

Glad to get another point on the board, but we're not seeing the kind of performances that will continue to draw the crowds.  Speaking to one family near me and the father was saying they are almost having to drag the kids out to games because they find it boring.  As it stands, they're probably not going to renew for next season, regardless of where we finish in the league.  Struggling to disagree with him and feeling a bit the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure if its our fault Deas broke his leg.

The main concern is that most of the injuries occurred at the start or in pre season, which then means players coming back have had their conditioning adversely affected - leading to strain/stress related injuries on their return.

I don't think our attritional hoofball style helps with some of our lighter built players either. A very demanding physical style that would suit a team full of Oakleys.

From the financial side of things as I’m not clued up on these matters, does Robbie’s Salary get covered by the clubs Insurance and would the players also have their own Insurance.If so would that put us in a position to recruit a new player if it’s possible. 

17 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Meanwhile we have to cobble together a defence, does anyone know the likely return dates for Devine and Duffy? Fortunately in Delaney we seem to have found another gem, looks like we are about to find out if Max Ram is the same. We then need a left back, is the young Strachan a viable option for a couple of weeks or so?  Keeping Harper in midfield on the left might be the stronger solution given a dearth of midfielder?

Desperately sorry for Robbie Deas. He has been one of our best players in the last two years and got my MotM vote for the Raith game.

I think we might have to recall a few of our players from loans to other clubs to help cover for others. Lewis Nicholson (?), for example, has showed up well at left back on a few occasions.   

Edited by Row S
  • Agree 1

I also thought the situation with Ridgers was strange, you really only send your reserve keeper out to warm up, if there seems to be an injury problem with the on field keeper. We had a collective,  'ooooooo' moment in the stand, when it happened, and someone stated that Dodds was trying to display a show of strength! Was it because Ridgers never saved the goal? Because it was right after we conceded, if it was, it isn't good for team morale, these are things that should be kept in house, back in the dressing room

56 minutes ago, RiG said:

Didn't Dodds drop Ridgers for a few games last season after a wee falling out?

He missed a few games due to Covid and Dodds stuck with MacKay for a few games afterwards, with Ridgers on the bench. I didn’t hear about a fall out.

I assumed Ridgers had taken a knock when it looked like a change may be made. 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I also thought the situation with Ridgers was strange, you really only send your reserve keeper out to warm up, if there seems to be an injury problem with the on field keeper. We had a collective,  'ooooooo' moment in the stand, when it happened, and someone stated that Dodds was trying to display a show of strength! Was it because Ridgers never saved the goal? Because it was right after we conceded, if it was, it isn't good for team morale, these are things that should be kept in house, back in the dressing room

The issue was that Ridgers launched the ball up the pitch straight to the opposition keeper and Dodds was not impressed with losing the ball so easily. Straight afterwards the goal was scored.

Tonight Ayr 2-1 Partick HT

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Inverness CT 12 6 3 3 15 11 21
2. Partick Thistle 11 6 2 3 23 17 20
3. Queens Park 12 6 2 4 19 19 20
4. Ayr United 11 5 3 3 22 15 18
5. Dundee 12 5 3 4 19 16 18
6. Morton 12 5 3 4 15 13 18

Ayr 4-2 Partick

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Ayr United 12 6 3 3 26 17 21
2. Inverness CT 12 6 3 3 15 11 21
3. Partick Thistle 12 6 2 4 25 21 20
4. Queens Park 12 6 2 4 19 19 20
5. Dundee 12 5 3 4 19 16 18
6. Morton 12 5 3 4 15 13 18
7. Raith Rovers 12 5 1 6 13 13 16
8. Cove Rangers 12 3 3 6 16 20 12
9. Arbroath 12 2 4 6 8 15 10
10. Hamilton Ac. 12 2 4 6 9 20 10

It’s so tight again at this point this season.

With our injury woes, it’s remarkable we are joint top and I really hope the players go to Greenock and win on Friday to put us top again.

Is there any word on Duffy, Devine, Allardice, MacGregor, Mackay or Samuels and when we may see them again? It would be good to have some of them back for Friday. 

I see young Mr Strachan is getting praised by the gaffer after his performance off the bench on Saturday so what position did he play and is the praise merited :ictscarf:

It's good to see the youngsters finally getting a chance albeit in difficult circumstances.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I see young Mr Strachan is getting praised by the gaffer after his performance off the bench on Saturday so what position did he play and is the praise merited :ictscarf:

It's good to see the youngsters finally getting a chance albeit in difficult circumstances.

Strachan came on late in the game, 88th minute, he was the sub for Deas, who it turned out had a broken leg. He only had a few minutes of the game plus injury time, but he slotted in at left back to allow Delaney to switch to left centre back, and he just safely played his passes, but he blocked a certain goal going in very late in the game. So although he had so little time, he looked quite assured and calm when on the ball.

• Agree 1

He also had one break forward and a decent cross.

Personally I think it is too early to make him first pick at left back. It depends on how long Duffy and Devine are going to be out for, as we need Delaney at centre half until at least one of them is back.

Harper is an obvious option, but that depends on how our midfield injuries are looking.

We also have Lewis Nicolson on loan at Elgin, who looks a great prospect, so maybe need to recall him. 

Edited by Robert

• tm4tj unpinned this topic