HELP - Inverness Thistle/Caledonian Players - WW1 - Know any?

High1ander

I see from the linked post that you are working with people at Fort George.  Presumably this will cover the Camerons and Seaforths - and thus most of the Inverness area people who served - but I am sure you are aware that Inverness people served in other regiments too.   My grandfather, who played for Citadel after the war, was in the Royal Horse Artillery, and saw action in Sinai and Palestine - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness-shire_Royal_Horse_Artillery  .    I don't know who would have their records nowadays.  The surviving "Battery Boys" used to have a regular - annual, I think - reunion dinner in Inverness, which I remember from the 1960s, and which might even have gone into the 1970s.  Places to look for further info would include Inverness Courier archives and possibly Am Baile.

Other local regiments included the Lovat Scouts, and there was also the Navy and the fledgling Air Force.  Good luck! 

58 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I see from the linked post that you are working with people at Fort George.  Presumably this will cover the Camerons and Seaforths - and thus most of the Inverness area people who served - but I am sure you are aware that Inverness people served in other regiments too.   My grandfather, who played for Citadel after the war, was in the Royal Horse Artillery, and saw action in Sinai and Palestine - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness-shire_Royal_Horse_Artillery  .    I don't know who would have their records nowadays.  The surviving "Battery Boys" used to have a regular - annual, I think - reunion dinner in Inverness, which I remember from the 1960s, and which might even have gone into the 1970s.  Places to look for further info would include Inverness Courier archives and possibly Am Baile.

Other local regiments included the Lovat Scouts, and there was also the Navy and the fledgling Air Force.  Good luck! 

I think you are right Am Baile is a good source of records, so is the National War archive which if you know the name of the person and unit in which they served, they can provide all their service history. I think the endeavour is to cover all WW1 Caledonian / Thistle players and rightly so.

• 2 weeks later...

Why?

There are already memorials in the city that pay tribute to everyone who will be covered by these plans.  Does the fact that they played football make them more special and deserving of an additional memorial?

This is nothing but a distraction from the problems that currently exist at the club.  We can barely afford to put a team on the pitch and we want to be spending money on memorials?  Or will the fans be expected to pay for that as well?

The boards of both ICTFC and the supporters trust would better serve the club, it's fans and the community by concentrating on those instead of looking for easy "do good" vanity projects that will do nothing to put bums on seats, pennies in the bank or points on the board.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

You are right about all the other regiments snorbens.  The easy bit is finding who was killed in WW1 which is listed on the memorials but finding out if they played for Caledonain or Thistle will be much more difficult.  There might be something in the Inverness Courier or Am Saile as you said which would take a lot of time.  The other thing they are hoping for is that family stories might have been passed down about a relative that played for either team that were killed in the war.

It would be a good bit of local history to have recorded if anything can be found.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, IBM said:

You are right about all the other regiments snorbens.  The easy bit is finding who was killed in WW1 which is listed on the memorials but finding out if they played for Caledonain or Thistle will be much more difficult.  There might be something in the Inverness Courier or Am Saile as you said which would take a lot of time.  The other thing they are hoping for is that family stories might have been passed down about a relative that played for either team that were killed in the war.

It would be a good bit of local history to have recorded if anything can be found.

I agree IBM, Am Baile are taking an interest, and you are right, a good bit of local history linked to the clubs founding teams.