Cold ICT v Hot Ayr

No Shin Guards

1 hour ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say,

We're going to get royal pumped on Saturday IMO. 

End of Dodds?

Eh what? 🧐 

A defeat would only mean six games without a win, so I would say we have to have another five winless games for the club to even consider relinquishing Dodds from his post, going by what Scott Gardiner said on one of the Wyness Shuffles, regarding last seasons winless run. So, suck it up, sit tight and I won't say enjoy the ride, I'd say try to get through it and endure it, it ain't gonna be pretty! 

• Agree 1

I didn’t see Saturday’s game and I may miss the start this week as delivering furniture for my mother in law, but we need a good crowd to get behind the players from as soon as they come out of the tunnel. Hopefully Section 94 are there in numbers and make themselves heard and the drummer is in the North Stand.

Some players are low on confidence, so it is time to get behind them rather than being critical.

If we have any of our casualties back, that is a bonus. Any word on Devine, Allardice, MacGregor, Mackay or Samuels? Some of them can make a real difference if available. Similarly, hopefully Delaney has recovered from his knock.

If there has been something wrong behind the scenes, hopefully it is sorted by now.

I know many are dissatisfied with Dodds, and justifiably so, but this league is still there for the taking if we can get back on track. However, this is close to a must win game, it is certainly a must not lose game, as we don’t want to be 9 points off the pace at this stage.

• Like 1

More punishment...

Drat, there's no International Break for us as we just have to get on with the humiliation. A once proud club where energy and passion were part of the furniture has been reduced to playing second fiddle to Queens Park, Arbroath, Morton and Hamilton in recent weeks. What's next? Raith Rovers might beat us one day. That's maybe stretching the imagination a bit too far, but that's the direction we are heading. Injuries injuries blah de blah. Lack of quality and tactical nous might be closer to the truth. Anyway, it's getting to be a chore now almost making Xmas shopping seem more palatable. Almost I said. League leaders Ayr United visit the Caledonian Stadium looking to take advantage of our demise. It shouldn't be too difficult, everyone else has done so. However, we cling to eternal hope and unfounded optimism that one day something will change. That seems a long way off at the moment. Saturday at 3:00pm is the scheduled kick off time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MATCH/TICKET INFO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Venue H2H v Ayr United Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 22 10 10 2 36 22 +14
Away 24 11 6 7 45 30 +15
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 46 21 16 9 81 52 +29

Head 2 Head shows we have a big advantage, especially at home. However these stats are from better times and we lost out 1-2 last February. Prior to that January 2003 was our last home defeat to Ayr United. Plenty of draws in there and the odd seven goal thrashing with a Dennis Wyness hat-trick thrown in for good measure, but that's nostalgia for you. 

Dec 2nd League (Wyness hat-trick) 7 - 3  H    1,513    

A day on which it rained goals and the score could have gone either way. Two attacking teams provided a great spectacle despite the windy conditions.  Play raged from end to end then in 42 minutes Wyness made it 3-2. David Bagan set Martin Bavidge off down the right and his cross was touched home by the sliding foot of Wyness. Wyness scored number 6 with a close range overhead kick in 79 minutes after Davide Xausa had hit the ball across goal and the Ayr defence failed to clear. With 4 minutes left a Sheerin pass split the defence and found Wyness in space. The striker completed his hat trick when he rounded Nelson and stroked the ball into the empty net. It could have been eight just before the end when a Barry Robson shot came off Nelson but he managed to catch Xausa's follow up effort. The home supporters cheered their team off the pitch as the Ayr fans called for the head of manager Gordon Dalziel; an unfair reaction when they had played so well for so long. A match to remember for a long time. Report by Ian Broadfoot

Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Ayr United
win.png
1 - 0
(A)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
loss.png
1 - 2
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
loss.png
0 - 1
(A)
win.png
2 - 0
(H)

Last Time Out

We were overrun by Queens Park last week after taking a half time advantage through Billy Mckay. Queens upped the pace after the break and tore us a new one. Goals by Charlie Fox and a wily olde fox in Simon Murray settled the issue but it was flattering for us. 6-1 might have been nearer the mark. To be honest, it was an awful view at Ochilvew for the few.

Ayr united beat Hamilton 2-3 in their last outing. Accies were looking impressive and should have taken something from the game but Ayr dug deep to find a late winner through Dempsey's spot kick. Tough on Accies who had twice levelled the game. Akinyemi had scored in each half to give Ayr the lead twice.

In the middle of our wee purple patch of scraping wins earlier in the season we did somehow get the better of Ayr at Somerset Park with the only goal of the game coming from Cammy Harper's head. 

Ayr Pressure not enough: Ayr started the day three points ahead of Inverness. They would end the day level. Plenty of pressure from the hosts in a dominant first half but the nearest they came to a goal was a Mark Mckenzie header that came off the bar and the same player missed from six yards after being set up by Dipo Akinyemi. Inverness would be relieved to get to the interval on level terms. Cammy Harper glanced in a header just after the break to open the scoring. That's how it ended after a difficult ninety minutes but it's three wins on the bounce on the road. Ahhhh, distant memories, and that's just this season.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Ayr United 15 8 4 3 32 20 28
2. Morton 15 7 4 4 22 15 25
3. Dundee 15 7 4 4 26 20 25
4. Queens Park 15 7 3 5 23 24 24
5. Raith Rovers 15 7 1 7 19 16 22
6. Inverness CT 15 6 4 5 17 18 22
7. Partick Thistle 15 6 2 7 28 29 20
8. Cove Rangers 15 4 5 6 23 25 17
9. Arbroath 15 2 6 7 10 19 12
10. Hamilton Ac. 15 2 5 8 16 30 11

SATURDAY 19TH NOVEMBER (all 3:00pm)

Cove R v Morton 

Dundee v Accies  

Rovers v Queens

Partick Th v Arbroath

Inverness CT v Ayr United 

15 games in and Ayr United top the table with eight wins and are one of the form teams right now along with Morton and Dundee, so no surprise to see them occupy the top three places. Ayr's last defeat was at Dens Park six games back. Inverness are winless in their last five games since beating Cove at Balmoral a month ago and very few fans can see anything other than a resounding win for Ayr unless a miracle happens on the treatment table. Ayr are top scorers in the league and should be adding to that this weekend.

+++++++++++++++++

Latest Team News 🛌

With Billy Dodds lying low and dodging the bullets, there was only a Q&A session after the Queens Park game. "When I get my full team back, or most of my team back, I think we’ll be a force to be reckoned with." I think when we get the full quota back, hopefully we’ll get a few back soon, even if we get three quarters of the quota back then I think we’ll be a team to be reckoned with." Erm, you've already said that Billy. Let's see what he comes out with ahead of this one as the long knives come out. Still a long queue at the treatment room as far as we know with Zak Delaney being injured near the end of last weeks game at Ochilview...

Eric's Ayr Doo

Lee Bullen has forged his team into a solid unit with goals at the sharp end. Dipo Akinyemi is responsible for most of them with 13 goals to his name from 19 games. We know enough about Logan Chalmers to know what he can do and Dario Zanatta can be a threat to any defence in this league.

• Like 3

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic
1 hour ago, Robert said:

I didn’t see Saturday’s game and I may miss the start this week as delivering furniture for my mother in law, but we need a good crowd to get behind the players from as soon as they come out of the tunnel. Hopefully Section 94 are there in numbers and make themselves heard and the drummer is in the North Stand.

Some players are low on confidence, so it is time to get behind them rather than being critical.

If we have any of our casualties back, that is a bonus. Any word on Devine, Allardice, MacGregor, Mackay or Samuels? Some of them can make a real difference if available. Similarly, hopefully Delaney has recovered from his knock.

If there has been something wrong behind the scenes, hopefully it is sorted by now.

I know many are dissatisfied with Dodds, and justifiably so, but this league is still there for the taking if we can get back on track. However, this is close to a must win game, it is certainly a must not lose game, as we don’t want to be 9 points off the pace at this stage.

I say,

Can I help with delivering the furniture?

We can even put it together for the good lady and do some painting or DIY.

Will be more exciting than watching the match. 

Eh what? 🧐 

Edited by No Shin Guards
Typo, Eh what?
  • Funny 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:35 PM, bdu98196 said:

If Ayr are serious title contenders then they should smash us like a set of plates in a Greek wedding.

Losing by less than 4 will be a positive result.

Nepotism sees Dodds stay regardless of results.

Getting 19% possession will be seen as an improvement by Billy Smart . •Correction Billy Dodds

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Who's been added to the injured llist? 

9 hours ago, Robert said:

Not sure the St Mirren scenario creates any precedence (one was caused by a global pandemic, the other by our inability to ensure players are match fit and manage their rehabilitation) and, when our request is denied, I await the cries of how SFA/SPFL are biased towards teams outside the central belt and how they will do anything to stop us being promoted back to the premiership.

Also hearing that at least 2 players are sidelined due to injuries to Dodds' ego and not to themselves.

• Like 1

With all due respect this is not the time to be criticising Billy Dodds. I have done so this season and during the poor run last season. Stress levels at the club must be quite high currently and if ever there was a time for united support, it is tomorrow. The injury situation is unprecedented at the club. After Ayr we have two games that are not critical to our season - Stirling is important from a financial point of view but our need is to get more players back into the playing squad. The first of the double headers against Hamilton is definitely not important.  We may lose to Ayr and Dundee but if we can get a lot of the injured back by the league game against Hamilton we still have a long season ahead of us. 

I am sure that the players who take the field against Ayr, Stirling and Dundee will believe they can get results against the odds............we've done it before when the support was superb. 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

The injury situation is unprecedented at the club.

2012-13 when (from what I can see) we had a smaller squad and were playing in a higher league.

We had an awful pre-season with injuries and started the season proper with 4 or 5 lads on the treatment table, and it only got worse from there.

Somehow we still managed to finish 4th :shrug:

• tm4tj unpinned this topic