The Dee at home 3rd Dec

tm4tj

Dundee Challenge

Dundee are the visitors this week as we get back to League duty after the third round of the Scottish Cup was played out last weekend. Dundee are one of the form teams in the Championship at the moment as they pick up a bit of form after a sticky patch. The game should be kicking off at 3:00pm on Saturday. Both teams advanced into the fourth round of the Scottish Cup last weekend. Inverness edging past Stirling Albion by the odd goal in five and Dundee dumping Airdrie with four goals in extra-time for a 6-2 win.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match/tickets info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Venue Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 16 7 8 1 27 15 +12
Away 20 7 8 5 28 25 +3
Neutral 2 0 0 2 2 4 -2
Total 38 14 16 8 57 44 +13

We have only lost once at home to Dundee in sixteen games. The overall results also favour Inverness with fourteen wins from thirty-eight encounters with Dundee winning just eight times. The single home defeat came in a Scottish Cup 4th round replay in January 2008. None other than Scott Allan that scored the only goal of the game. 

Over and Out: This seasons Scottish Cup run was short lived when an efficient Dundee came North and stifled our creative players after the break to score an early second half goal through Scott Allan to win this replay. The second period was just two minutes old when Dundee surged forward after an Inverness attack broke down. A-Jay Leitch-Smith did the spadework and Scott Allan supported him and placed the ball beyond Mark Ridgers low into the corner of the net. Poor play from Inverness in attack and the defence backed off as Dundee went forward giving Allan the opportunity to pick his spot.

Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Dundee
win.png
3 - 2
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
loss.png
1 - 2
(A)
draw.png
2 - 2
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
draw.png
0 - 0
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(H)
draw.png
2 - 2
(A)

We came away from Dens Park with an unexpected but much needed three points back in September.

Harper Stuns Dundee: The first meeting of the sides this season ended in victory for the visitors. Dundee took an early lead through Sweeney but Cammy Harper levelled almost immediately with a curling shot from outside the box. Austin Samuels day was over five minutes before the interval. Just on the break Billy Mckay scored from the spot to put the visitors ahead after Harper had been fouled. Paul McMullan made it all square ten minutes after the interval although that goal has now been attributed to Joe Grayson. However, man of the match Harper restored the visitors advantage from twenty-five yards with seven minutes left. That ended the scoring and sealed the points before Sweeney was sent off for a second bookable offence as the game slipped away from Dundee.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Ayr United 16 8 5 3 34 22 29
2. Morton 16 8 4 4 24 16 28
3. Dundee 16 8 4 4 27 20 28
4. Queens Park 16 8 3 5 28 26 27
5. Partick Thistle 16 7 2 7 31 29 23
6. Inverness CT 16 6 5 5 19 20 23
7. Raith Rovers 16 7 1 8 21 21 22
8. Cove Rangers 16 4 5 7 24 27 17
9. Arbroath 16 2 6 8 10 22 12
10. Hamilton Ac. 16 2 5 9 16 31 11

Saturday 3rd December 3:00pm

Arbroath v Morton     

Ayr United v Raith Rovers

Cove v Partick

Inverness v Dundee FC

Queen's v Hamilton    

Current League Form

Dundee are one of the form teams with four wins in November which includes their Scottish Cup win over Airdrie. October brought them two wins three draws and a Championship defeat to Cove Rangers at Balmoor. Highlight of that league run was a 3-2 win over Partick Thistle at Firhill with the Cove result putting a damper on the Dundee hopes.

Over the same period we have failed to win a league game in November, drawing two and losing to Queens Park. October was a mixed bag where we started off with three narrow wins before being found out at home to Accies. We followed that with a draw at home to Raith Rovers before being pumped 4-0 at Cappielow. Highlight were the three wins in early October over Ayr, Partick and Cove. The lowlight speaks for itself as Morton thrashed us. 

We are by far one of the worst performing teams in front of goal with only 19 goals from 16 games. Only Arbroath and Hamilton have scored less. Dundee are eight goals better off but with a similar defensive record.

Nathan Shaw has been one of the more prominent players recently and scored both goals to earn a point in the 2-2 draw against Ayr United

Latest Team News

The cup game allowed us to rest the legs of Sean Welsh who will hopefully be available for this one. Danny Devine got more minutes in his legs after coming back two weeks ago. Dan Mackay got half an hour against Stirling Albion but might be off the pace. Full Back Ryan Barrett made his debut late on in the cup game and he himself has come through a knee injury before leaving Newcastle. Unless anyone else has been seen by Jesus, then that might be our lot for now as far as recoveries are concerned. News about Austin Samuels has been sparse, let's hope he is nearing a return. We will still have seven or eight first picks unavailable with news that top scorer Billy Mckay might be joining them with a calf injury. Deas, Delaney, Allardice, McGregor, Walsh, Sutherland and Samuels. Add Mark Ridgers to that ensemble as the rift goes on although Cammy Mackay has done well under the circumstances.

Eric has unearthed this new name at Dens Park. Since our last meeting with Dundee they have signed Derick Osei, a centre forward who was without a club since leaving AFC Wimbledon in the summer. French born Osei spent 10 years in the youth system at Toulouse. He has made 7 appearances in Championship and Cup games with 3 goals to his credit. Sounds like he might be a handful at Championship level.

Zach Robinson is the clubs leading scorer this season with eight goals from eighteen games with nippy winger Paul McMullen on four alongside Zak Rudden. Alex Jakubiak is on four but his strike rate is the most impressive having only played eight games.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

One of the few highlights of the season, beating that mob in their own midden.

Agreed. It shows what we can do and a repeat tomorrow will do me nicely.

That said, I am going along in hope rather than expectation. Hopefully Devine, Welsh and Mackay are all fit to start and Billy Mckay makes it too. If we have anyone else back that will be a bonus.

Paul McGowan may be missing for Dundee after being arrested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63825310

Edited by Robert

Was late finishing work, and we lost a goal while I was on the way to the match.  Changed my mind and headed for home.

Can't even torture myself on Twitter updates as we've only had 3.  Kick Off, conceded goal and HT.  You know it's bad when even the club's own social media can't muster anything to post about.

Anyone at the game want to tell us that it's not that bad and we're unlucky to be losing?

• Like 1

We could have played all night and we didn’t look like scoring. Nothing to offer up front and Dundee were not great just a good run from McMullen and a goa😬

Edited by IBM
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, caley100 said:

In Edinburgh for a long weekend, So I looked at the team and thought,  will we score today?  Oakley leading the line confirmed my fears.

Thought you weren’t there, missed your usual updates and moans 😂
Should have come out to Bonnyrigg, decent game.

There was a decent amount of effort and some good performances however we do not look like scoring very often. I presume because Oakley was on that was why a lot of high balls were put into the box; Dundee cleared them every time; this was obvious early on. My expectations have lowered as at 1-0 start of second half I'm thinking can we get a draw and that even that might be a stretch. And so it seemed. No points again. The subs seemed to be at the wrong time- although not many to choose from. ? Mcmullan took his goal well but even I would have known he will cut in to his right to get his shot off !  

A bit of a grim watch that.  There was a good bit of effort and we were generally OK defensively, but we could have played all night and not scored.  I lost count of the times when players either failed to see or failed to execute simple balls into space for team mates to run onto.  Instead, it was foot on the ball, have a look around and then play the ball backwards for it to be hoofed aimlessly forward.  When we did have an attempt it was invariably feeble and off target.  With the players we have missing, I'm not expecting us to win the league or even get close, but any player who is good enough to be in the squad should be able to execute the basics of the game better than we saw today.  Glimpses of quality were few and far between.  I hate to say it, but this is relegation form were are witnessing at the moment. 

• Agree 2

Another hard watch. We huffed and puffed but never looked like scoring. Far too many balls played high into the box, for their number 5 to mop up everything, yet we continued to do it right to the end of the game, why Dodds wasn't screaming at them to stop it is beyond me! It was a good goal that won it, but it was preventable, and he nearly did it again a few minutes later, it's something I was screaming was us to do all first half, cut in from the wing and hit it, but we don't do that. I just don't see where wins are going to come from at the moment. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

It was a good goal that won it, but it was preventable

When you're defending against someone looking to cut inside and strike the ball with their stronger foot you show them outside onto their weaker side. Duffy didn't do this which was bad enough but it was a slack ball from Carson that set up this opportunity for Dundee. Just so slack from us all round really.

• Agree 2

BBC stats say we had one shot on target - that's one more than I can remember! We never looked like scoring but Dundee weren't much better although they did take advantage of our defensive frailities to show is how it is done. Poor distribution and lack of imagination were our downfall

• Agree 1

Well Dundee were no great shakes and on their first effort on goal they scored. Oakley was playing, so I knew goals would be scarce, but I  hoped not that scarce.I think if we were still playing we would not have scored.

As okaley was the target man I knew there would be a barage of high balls as usual.Unfortunately Oakley never got on the end of any.

Plenty huffing and puffing and my MOM was Carson for committment followed by Shaw and Doran.

I just knew McMullen was going to cut it in for their goal,but the defenders didn't  see that.

If ever we needed a prompt that we are desperate for a striker it was today.We get to last third and don't know what to do.

I don't think the Dundee goalie even dirtied his knees.

Finally,why did Oakley not shoot 20 mins in when through on goal,he passed it.

A team and strikers lacking confidence.

Unfortunately that's six league games without a win.Yes we have lots of injuries, but we have a squad of players 

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Agree 1

Plenty of effort but that's not enough to beat a team like Dundee. The final ball in and around the box always seemed like a pass too many. Minimal damage to our gd but we really need a goal scorer.

No quick fix either if we are waiting for injured players to come back.

Form over last 6 Games

Last updated: 03.12.2022 at 17:02

Overall Home Away  
Pos Team Pld W D L F A W D L F A W D L F A +/- Pts
http://stats.caleythistleonline.com/tables/images/line.gif
1. Ayr United 6 4 2 0 14 7 2 1 0 7 3 2 1 0 7 4 +7 14
2. Dundee 6 4 2 0 9 4 2 1 0 3 0 2 1 0 6 4 +5 14
3. Queens Park 6 4 1 1 17 7 2 1 0 8 3 2 0 1 9 4 +10 13
4. Morton 6 3 3 0 10 4 2 0 0 6 1 1 3 0 4 3 +6 12
5. Cove Rangers 6 1 4 1 11 10 1 1 1 4 3 0 3 0 7 7 +1 7
6. Raith Rovers 6 2 1 3 9 11 2 0 1 8 6 0 1 2 1 5 -2 7
7. Arbroath 6 1 3 2 4 8 1 2 1 3 4 0 1 1 1 4 -4 6