Partick Thistle Friday night

tm4tj

I actually though Dodds had a further year, my mistake, but the point still stands, an unplanned outflow of a five figure sum is money we just don’t have. SG has been very open that the club treads a fine line in terms of cash flow and has relied on a combination of the directors putting more money in and suppliers agreeing to extended credit.

• Like 1

Oh what a jolly place the forum is today, very seasonal. Anyway my conclusion is we need to break in, kick them all out and change the locks. A wee story first though which tells its own tale.....This morning I had an idea that my team ICT, to which iam a season ticket holder and have been forever, might have a home game today. I then discovered that we played last night and lost. Shows how much I care anymore which I find extremely sad.

• Sad 1

I hear what you're saying Yngwie but Dodds seems to be talking about bringing players into the cub in January. If we assume that these players are not playing for free then presumably we're accounting for salaries as part of this fruitless exercise. If we can afford to do that I would suggest that we can afford to keep paying Dodds' salary. I would imagine that there would be no instant pay-off as we'd surely just keep paying him until his contract expired at was the case with Richie Foran. The bottom line is he needs to go and we somehow need to find the money to change a catastrophically bad set up. I think most would agree that we certainly can't afford to let Dodds loose in another transfer window.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 3

35 minutes ago, ymip said:

I hear what you're saying Yngwie but Dodds seems to be talking about bringing players into the cub in January. If we assume that these players are not playing for free then presumably we're accounting for salaries as part of this fruitless exercise. If we can afford to do that I would suggest that we can afford to keep paying Dodds' salary. I would imagine that there would be no instant pay-off as we'd surely just keep paying him until his contract expired at was the case with Richie Foran. The bottom line is he needs to go and we somehow need to find the money to change a catastrophically bad set up. I think most would agree that we certainly can't afford to let Dodds loose in another transfer window.

However does he actually control who comes in or???? I've heard our DOF identifies our signings. But fully agree with sentiment above 

Yes the only remotely positive thing from that interview was the suggestion of new players coming in.  But isn’t is the sporting director rather than Dodds who identifies and secures the targets? Time for Robbo to start proving his worth in that respect.

As for how we can fund them - maybe there are players on their way out (Barrett was short term but might there be others?), maybe there are some cheap loan deals on the cards, maybe the new director has put some money in to make signings possible, maybe a combination of these? The line-ups we’ve had recently are not going to win many matches, regardless of who the manager is, so reinforcements would be welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It’s a strange position I find myself. Such is the (poor) performance of the team this season I questioned the capability of the manager to affect the performance positively. When it was clear improvement on the field was not going to happen I looked to the Board / CEO to see a route for improvement! 
They are in full possession on the financial position of the club, so I expect they consider this in any decision as to whether Dodds can change things (the way we all want).

Billy Dodds is no monster and wanted to see ICT succeed for sure! It just transpired that he, like 98% of other ex footballers turn out to be unable to translate personal positivity into actual team performance to match the board and fan’s aspirations. 
Billy Dodds I suspect would have taken an exit card in the past (and right now) but has been asked by the CEO to help steer the club to safety (that is avoid being relegated), this season.

BD is a proud man and will I expect agree to this recognising most want him gone!

So closing - I will turn up in Jan and try to give my team ICT support! If anything the fans are the club and we stick through the hard times!

BD will do his best and ultimately be replaced in due course. Let’s give him and the team our support through to safety from threat of relegation!

all the best for the festive season!

bc

Edited by Big cherly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thoughtful 1
  • Facepalm 1

After review of the comments in this thread by the mod team we will leave the referred to posts hidden and post this to make it perfectly clear to all that this is not acceptable.

The posts made had zero relevance to the thread, and cross the line in terms of our site rules. It is clear they were meant as a personal dig towards a club official with no relevance to the discussion at hand. If the poster has a beef of a personal nature with that individual or any other individual at the club this is not the platform for that kind of inflammatory post. Debate the topic, not the person, and certainly not the child of a person who is not even a part of the topic up to that point.

Raise controversial topics if you want - some of these have been interesting, thought provoking and worthy of discussion up to this point - but leave the personal stuff out of it. These have been our rules for 20+ years and will remain so.

Consider this a clear yellow card on the personal stuff. Emotions are running high right now because we do seem to be challenged both on and off the field, but getting overly personal loses focus from the real discussion points that we need to focus on to right what appears to be a heavily listing ship right now. 

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

Sitting dreaming of the good old days. What a fantastic journey! We, like most other clubs of limited means, have seen ups and downs.....but many more ups than downs. What we are witnessing is sad and hard to bear but, over a quarter of a century, supporters of most clubs our size will never have experienced the highs we have. Bucharest seems a long way off......but we got there. Most supporters couldnt dream of that. This looks like a potentially terminal decline. We have been spoiled down the years. A lot seem to be voting with their feet and can hardly be blamed for that stance. We are not entitled to success on the field . I am thankful for the joy and many friends that supporting ICT has brought me. Can I take this opportunity to wish all those connected to the club a Happy Christmas and a better 2023. I paid my tenner last night to watch the Partick game and confess to switching off at half time. I said to my wife that I cannot believe its a friday night and my team is playing in Glasgow and Im not there.....didnt even consider it.  I am however sure that everyone is trying their best.......its all anyone can do.......but it just aint good enough right now. We are not entitled to success. Our time may come again although this looks unlikely for the foreseeable future. My suggestion is ...ease the pain by remembering some of the good times. You will wake up with a smile on your face.

All the best troops!!

• Like 4
  • Well Said 2

I wasn't at last night's game,but tried to keep up with live score.Times are hard when you turn up for games and a draw is a good result.The majority of real fans are at the stage now where we are not that gutted when we get roasted because we kind of expect it now.We don't play or act as a team.Its not one for all and all for one highlighted last night by the SD going to comment for BBC at another game.The whole set up at Caley is tired. Look at the infrastructure,look at game days we cannot even make sure the towels are there in the toilets.Refreshments are limited and if you queue at half time chances are you miss five or 10 minutes of second half.If you cannot get the basics right off the pitch and your senior management don't even travel to watch the boys play at away games what chance have we and I think this apathy rubs off on the players .This kind of malaise.What we need is energetic driven,ambitious senior executives who would die in a ditch for the club.Finally I think Dodds lost the dressing room when he dropped Ridgers who was the one steady constant in the team.The one person who motivated and organised from the back.The player with real street cred.

I was going to stop,but just want to repeat what I have said so many times.If your tactic on game day is to hoof the ball to the smallest player on the park,then we are going nowhere.Where are our wide men can we no play on the deck and pass the ball.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Well Said 5

Supported ICT since 1994 : never felt so negative.

Used to be a team, no matter which division they were in and who they were up against, that would go into a match and you felt they could make things happen and more often than not win.

Sadly that has slowly gone and now completely disappeared.

Get the current regime out and a new start please.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

3 points out of 24 since mid October.

That says it all.

This feels much worse than our 11 game winless run last season. 

Robert, my glass is normally Half full but at the moment it’s empty ☹️ and that’s nothing to do with drinking too much at Christmas 🤪

This is the worst since we started as Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the third division 😱

Merry Christmas again but I don’t know what will happen next year 🤷🏼

• Agree 2

In my view our decline started after winning the Scottish Cup. A mass exodus of quality players left us bereft of the talent to sustain our lofty position. Relegation was inevitable. Today's ICT are just not good enough to make a push for promotion. Yes, we've had a wretched amount of luck with injuries etc but surely we have players in the squad who have the pride and determination to at least put in a fighting performance on the park instead of just, what seems like, giving up as the whistle blows for kick off. Our tactics are awful, we have no pace and no 'play maker' to create chances and certainly no one to finish them off when we do. Changes need to happen soonest otherwise we'll be dropping down the leagues and back to our roots.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 2

3 hours ago, Gringo said:

In my view our decline started after winning the Scottish Cup. A mass exodus of quality players left us bereft of the talent to sustain our lofty position. Relegation was inevitable. Today's ICT are just not good enough to make a push for promotion. Yes, we've had a wretched amount of luck with injuries etc but surely we have players in the squad who have the pride and determination to at least put in a fighting performance on the park instead of just, what seems like, giving up as the whistle blows for kick off. Our tactics are awful, we have no pace and no 'play maker' to create chances and certainly no one to finish them off when we do. Changes need to happen soonest otherwise we'll be dropping down the leagues and back to our roots.

Well said Gringo. I've said many times that we have regressed season after season since our Scottish Cup win, when we should have pushed on and at least kept the same standards if not better, but we lost a lot of good players and they were replaced by players lesser skills and talent. I would challenge anybody to tell me what style of team ,playing wise, we are? There is no cohesion with any tactics, it's as if the players are told to go out and just play, as it looks like they have only just met and don't know what or where they are supposed to do or be.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Naelifts said:

Sitting dreaming of the good old days. What a fantastic journey! We, like most other clubs of limited means, have seen ups and downs.....but many more ups than downs. What we are witnessing is sad and hard to bear but, over a quarter of a century, supporters of most clubs our size will never have experienced the highs we have. Bucharest seems a long way off......but we got there. Most supporters couldnt dream of that. This looks like a potentially terminal decline. We have been spoiled down the years. A lot seem to be voting with their feet and can hardly be blamed for that stance. We are not entitled to success on the field . I am thankful for the joy and many friends that supporting ICT has brought me. Can I take this opportunity to wish all those connected to the club a Happy Christmas and a better 2023. I paid my tenner last night to watch the Partick game and confess to switching off at half time. I said to my wife that I cannot believe its a friday night and my team is playing in Glasgow and Im not there.....didnt even consider it.  I am however sure that everyone is trying their best.......its all anyone can do.......but it just aint good enough right now. We are not entitled to success. Our time may come again although this looks unlikely for the foreseeable future. My suggestion is ...ease the pain by remembering some of the good times. You will wake up with a smile on your face.

All the best troops!!

Happy clappy, sentimental bollocks. If you're not angry at how your club has been mismanaged since 2017, there's something wrong with you. Merry Xmas.

• Well Said 2
  • Thoughtful 1

On 12/24/2022 at 1:12 PM, ymip said:

I would imagine that there would be no instant pay-off as we'd surely just keep paying him until his contract expired at was the case with Richie Foran. 

And Hughes. Trouble is, if we keep paying Dodds his salary, what do we pay the new manager with?!  Has to come from somewhere. The substantial amounts we have had to pay to these ex managers is a factor in our demise, monies that could otherwise have gone into the playing squad. I’m not saying you don’t sack managers, but the money aspect is a big consideration for the Board, especially when we are pretty much broke.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

And Hughes. Trouble is, if we keep paying Dodds his salary, what do we pay the new manager with?!  Has to come from somewhere. The substantial amounts we have had to pay to these ex managers is a factor in our demise, monies that could otherwise have gone into the playing squad. I’m not saying you don’t sack managers, but the money aspect is a big consideration for the Board, especially when we are pretty much broke.

Genuine question is there no sanction for incompetence in football? In any other job you get paid off and that's that? 

Tbh I'd rather him gone and replaced with someone on the payroll already till we can get someone new? His contract hasn't hot long to run now so could be done with zero additional cost allowing a decent recruitment search for a new person 

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 3

I was told that Ryan Esson has more training tickets than Dodds, Kells and Wilson together, not just goalkeeping but all players,  and he’s doing a great job with the under 18s.  Could he and Ross Tokely not do a better job between now and the end of the season, given the chance (if they want to), than the aforementioned three.   

Just a thought! 

• Agree 11

4 hours ago, lizi said:

I was told that Ryan Esson has more training tickets than Dodds, Kells and Wilson together, not just goalkeeping but all players,  and he’s doing a great job with the under 18s.  Could he and Ross Tokely not do a better job between now and the end of the season, given the chance (if they want to), than the aforementioned three.   

Just a thought! 

I like the sound of this. Esson showed what he can do when the U18's took on Hamilton recently. Be so much better than what we have in place now and between them they'd have a dressing room of players wanting to play for them. 

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, lizi said:

Just a thought! 

Suspect Tokely is having too much fun playing in the Highland League

• Thoughtful 2

On 12/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, tm4tj said:

Max Ram punting the ball to nobody every time he kicks it forward.

It all looks to be happening in slow motion for us and all too easy for Partick.

Rubbish springs to mind.

Yup: out of interest who Aretha current main shareholders in the club? Surely they must have influence on who runs the club etc.

I have already suggested sacking or forcing Dudds to resign mutually and placing Esson in caretaker charge for the rest of the season so I'm certainly all for this as he has our under 18s playing well and getting positive results.

I'm not so sure on Tokely though but I disagree with @Tree, I doubt he's having to much fun being outplayed by players from Wick, Clach and Rothes etc who make him look so out of his depth 🤔

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 4:19 PM, Scotty said:

After review of the comments in this thread by the mod team we will leave the referred to posts hidden and post this to make it perfectly clear to all that this is not acceptable.

The posts made had zero relevance to the thread, and cross the line in terms of our site rules. It is clear they were meant as a personal dig towards a club official with no relevance to the discussion at hand. If the poster has a beef of a personal nature with that individual or any other individual at the club this is not the platform for that kind of inflammatory post. Debate the topic, not the person, and certainly not the child of a person who is not even a part of the topic up to that point.

Raise controversial topics if you want - some of these have been interesting, thought provoking and worthy of discussion up to this point - but leave the personal stuff out of it. These have been our rules for 20+ years and will remain so.

Consider this a clear yellow card on the personal stuff. Emotions are running high right now because we do seem to be challenged both on and off the field, but getting overly personal loses focus from the real discussion points that we need to focus on to right what appears to be a heavily listing ship right now. 

Your house, your rules, but I did NOT make any personal dig towards a club official.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic