Smokies Preview

tm4tj

Great result today. And such a positive performance, too! When we went ahead I feared we’d sit back as that’s what we did last time I saw Caley on the road at Cove. But this time, we went for it! The second half was superb, with wave after wave of counters as Arbroath tried to chase the game. Good to celebrate with the players behind the goals - everyone was on Cloud 9. 

Hilarious to see Arbroath kids swarm towards the Away end when they equalised. Kind of made a mockery of the announcement that Arbroath is a family club when you see the wannabe hooligans. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks IcyT, that’s encouraging.

When I heard it had gone to 1-1 I was worried but it’s good that we kicked on and saw it out comfortably.

Henderson will have benefitted from his goal which will boost his confidence, and the whole squad must be buzzing now.

Did Nicolson play left midfield when he replaced Mackay? He’s definitely one for the future.

How bad did Mackay’s injury look?

How did Hyde do in midfield today?

I see Ram was missing today so we remain light on numbers but Dodds told the BBC we will have some back soon. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Must be our biggest win at Gayfield? It’s a ground ICT have always hated playing at but we have had good results there recently.

A 4-1 Christie-inspired win in 96-7 which put us top at 4.45 and I think we stayed there. Did we not take seven off them once in the League Cup?

Henderson is a pler. Still need Allardice back. Hope Daniel’s not missing another spell. A rather needless early booking for Devine. Very encouraging second half for us, much improved from the first. A bit meh being stuck behind the goals. Support was great today, as were the steak & black pudding pies. Lewis Nicolson ❤️💙   As @ymip remarked, a fair few Sneckie lads on the pitch at the end of that game.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

A 4-1 Christie-inspired win in 96-7 which put us top at 4.45 and I think we stayed there. Did we not take seven off them once in the League Cup?

Just checked and you are right with 4-1 in Nov-96. The 7-0 in the LC was at home.

Good luck to the Campbell brothers and i hope that Arbroath stay up. No preference in who goes down. It's a tough old game. Hopefully onwards and upwards for us. There's a few pretenders to the Crown. Some good games to look forward to. Are we on a run yet 😂

• Like 2

A fantastic three points on the road, and at a ground that's been a difficult place to go for points in the past. Good to hear that the team played some good football, and on the deck by all accounts, I hope that this is the way forward now, as it is getting us results. Hopefully Dan's injury isn't too bad, and that we have as strong a team as possible for next Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Next Saturday could be a season-defining game for us, if we (somehow) win we'd be on 32 points, 7 off top with raith away then morton and Hamilton to play at home, if these players are coming back like dodds says every week then who knows what could happen. Will take a miracle imo as QP are scoring goals for fun, but there's always hope 🤞🤞

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

Another positive result and possible step forwards but not getting carried away. Two games again dross opposition where last wks opponents conceded a **** load again yesterday and Arbroath are a team much like us with only one win since mid Oct.

Next wk against a free scoring Queens will be a bigger test although their good run has yet to convince they are genuine title contenders for the long haul.

Heading in the right direction and changes like Ridgers back are working but for me the damage is done and Dodds regardless of the rest of the season is not the right man for the club moving forwards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Two good results, and some core players performing closer to the best of their abilities...

Hopefully a minimal contact week on the practice pitch, carry the confidence from the last two games into Saturday. 

Massive test coming up with QP although some might say they're not genuine,  I haven't seen anyone yet who are real contenders, so let's see where we are now in our recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Goes to show what a lot have been saying the last few months, and that we are capable of getting results, even with the number of injuries we have.

Hopefully the players can carry the momentum into next week and beyond.  We need a 15+ point buffer from the relegation/playoff spots at the bottom.

2 hours ago, STFU said:

Goes to show what a lot have been saying the last few months, and that we are capable of getting results, even with the number of injuries we have.

We played 8 of the same team that the manager called out as being ***** only a few wks ago against PT (not forgetting Ridgers and a solitary new addition), yet now seem to be 'back' and its all plaudits and 'high fives'. Not much has changed and certainly not the injury situation. Therefore does it not look ridiculous that it has been banded as the excuse for so long - clearly a lot more too this now the dressing room harmony appear to 'restored' and players want to play (again).

• Agree 3

It would be great to say that we’ve turned the corner, but hard to be conclusive on that when these wins have been against unspectacular opposition. It certainly appears though that we’ve at least stopped the rot, the low point being at Partick where the performance was a couple of levels below what previous depleted line ups had managed.

Having Devine and Ridgers back since then could be a big factor, it’s so important to be solid at the back and that often seems to give confidence to the whole team. Also, Henderson seems to have brought some new life into the attack, and having the 3 HL loanees back has strengthened the match day squads a bit, all having contributed.

Some grounds for optimism but Queens will be a much tougher challenge and I’m certainly not at the stage where I’m expecting us to win.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj unpinned this topic