Queens Cup ***GAME OFF***

tm4tj

And they're back.

Pitch Inspection Incoming

The Spiders are back a week on from the no scoring Championship draw at the Caledonian Stadium. I doubt much has changed within either camp although plenty has changed weather wise. There has been nearly a foot of snow dumped across the area since Monday into Tuesday. Let's hope conditions improve drastically or we will be without a game this weekend although as I type, the snow seems to be turning to rain and a thaw is on. Last weeks game was as entertaining a goalless game as you will see with plenty of chances and big saves at both ends. However, this week it's Scottish Cup action. It's nearly eight years since the Caley Jags lifted the trophy. Spare a thought for Spiders fans, their last success in this competition was 1893, although they have won it 10 times: 1874, 1875, 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1884, 1886, 1890, 1893. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match Info/Tickets

Pitch Inspection

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mind you, plenty has changed over the last 150 years, although there was a lot of scurrilous goings on back in the day including Vale of Leven refusing to turn up for the final in 1884. Even the 1993 final had controversy surrounding it. I wonder why they never told anyone until half the game had been played. :whistle: :argue02:

Final

Celtic 1 – 0 Queen's Park
Towie 13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png    
Attendance: 30,000
Referee: R. F. Harrison

Match declared void due to frozen pitch (decided pre-match after inspection, but not announced to spectators until the second half) :shrug:What, no undersoil heating?

Cup Final replay (11th March 1983) From Wikipedia

Queen's Park 2 – 1 Celtic
Sellar 13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png   Blessington13px-Soccerball_shade.svg.png
Ibrox Park, Govan
Attendance: 15,000
Referee: R. F. Harrison

The winning goal was believed by some observers not to have fully entered the goal before being cleared, and Celtic protested but the score stood. Although their use would not have resolved that particular incident, this controversy and debate led to goal nets being introduced in the latter stages of the Scottish Cup from then on. 

😂 Same old Celtic, always greeting 😂

I'm told Mantis and Gringo were at that replay. Anyway, nostalgia is great, but let's get back to the future>>>

May be an image of snowThis was the scene at the Caledonian Stadium this week as Global Warming cooled us all down. Here we can see a couple of players coming out of their cryogenic state and hoping to be ready for the Cup game against Queens Park. I was told one of them is Nathan Thaw and the other is either Mark Fridgers who had been frozen out recently or midfielder Scott Allhardice. :moon02:

TSLJV8R3?format=jpg&name=small

Latest Team News 2023

Billy Dodds has seen Nathan Shaw, Sean Welsh and Zak Delaney return in recent weeks. However we have lost Max Ram for around a month and Cammy Harper has been missing. One step forward and two back at times.

The Spiders may well be along the same lines as their Championship team last weekend.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, tm4tj said:

I'm told Mantis and Gringo were at that replay. Anyway, nostalgia is great, but let's get back to the future>>>

I missed the first half hour because of some guys playing darts instead of getting their jaikets on and their erses into the charabanc.

This isn’t happening, is it?

• Funny 2
  • Thoughtful 1

There must be a risk, now things are thawing, that the pitch fails the inspection tomorrow but is playable by the time kick off comes 27 hours later.

I hope it goes ahead as a midweek date will be unhelpful given the league games coming up.

Presumably if it is off it will move to Tuesday or Wednesday?

2 hours ago, Robert said:

There must be a risk, now things are thawing, that the pitch fails the inspection tomorrow but is playable by the time kick off comes 27 hours later.

I hope it goes ahead as a midweek date will be unhelpful given the league games coming up.

Presumably if it is off it will move to Tuesday or Wednesday?

Tuesday 31st, 1945 ko.

• Thank You 1

Given the recent games called off elsewhere with short notice, doing an early inspection is welcomed. While over the following 24 hours the situation may change (in either way) if a holistic view is taken of travel conditions and local to the stadium, it saves the QP fans the potentially wasted & dangerous journey up the A9 for nothing, especially those who may plan to head up later today (hopefully any hotels or accommodation would be sympathetic in refunding or changing dates)

Not usually a defender of the SFA, but feel this is the right call but thankless either way and open to plenty criticisms.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic
  • tm4tj changed the title to Queens Cup ***GAME OFF***
11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Is the inspection set so early, so as to inform QP whether they should travel up on Friday to their overnight accommodation, as I was lead to believe that they stayed at the Kingsmills Hotel last Friday night, and were planning doing the same for this match?

No shortage of cash at QP then.  

The Official Statement 

Following a pitch inspection this afternoon we can confirm that tomorrow’s match against Queen’s Park has been postponed.

Unfortunately there was still three inches of snow on the pitch and with temperatures due to go below freezing tonight there was no chance of tomorrow’s slightly higher temperatures making a difference.

We’re thankful to the SFA for the pragmatic early inspection.

All purchased tickets will be valid for the rearranged date which is Tuesday 31st January, 7:45pm KO.

If we can avoid defeat and injuries against Raith this could be a piece of luck for the club allowing more players to return.  In addition I think it could a cracking cup tie with maybe a plum in the next round. Unlike Andy Murray this morning finishing at 4 am, the cup match will finish either before 10 pm or just after 10 pm if it goes straight to penalties after a 90 minute stalemate.

The long term weather seems reasonable. Let's focus on Raith - they are playing really well at present. 

Edited by CELTIC1CALEY3

They couldn’t cope with Dan MacKay or Samuels in the other cup, and had to kick seven shades of shyte out of Allardice, but I’d imagine we’ll be up against it this time. Bring it on though (Queens permitting).

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes I was wondering where that upset ranks in the list of biggest SC shocks, and also whether any of the tabloids will do a Superdarvelgoballistic…” headline! Darvel did great and worked so hard all over the pitch, against a team 5 leagues above them. They are pretty well resourced for a part-time team though, and were up against a team in poor form, to the extent that BBC sensed blood and picked the match for live coverage.

Our rivals to the title of biggest upset (Berwick, Clyde, Darvel) all had the significant advantage of playing at home. And they only won by 1 goal!

• Like 3

• tm4tj unpinned this topic